Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter 11 135mm f/4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Jupiter 11 135mm f/4 Reply with quote

I just bought this - more for fun and curiosity than as a serious lens choice. What can I expect from it?

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Jupiter 11 135mm f/4 Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
What can I expect from it?

Well, very good things ! Smile
I think it is m39 mount ?

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your copy is good, expect performance very close to CZJ Sonnar 4/135. I have two copies of this Jupiter, the one with purple coating has warmer colors (brown cast). The one with yellow coating is closer to Sonnar.
But I think the Sonnar has still slightly edge in contrast.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's my most beautiful 135mm lens and it produces wonderful Sonnar liek images Smile

http://forum.mflenses.com/my-new-best-friend-jupiter-11-in-m42-mount-t17153,highlight,jupiter++bokeh.html

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Jupiter 11 135mm f/4 Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Well, very good things ! Smile
I think it is m39 mount ?

Oh hell, I hope not. Was sold as M42. I realize they are close in size and often mixed up by sellers, but can anyone tell by this picture?

If it's M39, has it any use in my DSLR world? If not, will be for sale Sad

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not worry, the mount is easy to change. See the screw on the side.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But of course I would need to find a compatible M42 mount for it. Then how about the registration distance? Wasn't M39 for rangefinder's shorter distance?

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LM39 is for Leicas (Leica Threadmount 39)
ZM39 is for Zenits (Zenit Threadmount 39)and has the same registration distance as the M42 mount, and the Tair will have this mount, if it is not an M42 mount Wink

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

99% it's ZM39. The good news is, that M39->M42 ring you can get for about 5 USD on eBay. The bad news is, that ZM39 has little bit shorter focal distance than M42. You won't be able to reach infinity without removing or modifying spacer ring which is located inside the lens barrel.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on infinity focus for M39 lenses some will work and some won't on the forum here we have found Mir-1 and Helios 44 in M39 that have done both- I cant say about this version of the Jupiter 11 as I dont have one but my black Jupiter 11A goes to infinity in both m39 and m42. I think thr only way is to try it Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRunner wrote:
99% it's ZM39. The good news is, that M39->M42 ring you can get for about 5 USD on eBay. The bad news is, that ZM39 has little bit shorter focal distance than M42. You won't be able to reach infinity without removing or modifying spacer ring which is located inside the lens barrel.

What makes you this sure? Is it the era of the lens, or the look of the mount? I thought it might be pretty hard to tell given the closeness of the two measurements, but hoped someone with the lens might be able to tell from proportions.

I'm still holding hope since it was advertised as M42. What is it worth as a M39?

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My MZ39 aluminium Jupiter-11 mounted on my Pentax K20D focuses to infinity, no problem -- unless (as usual) I use a flanged non-infinity-focus M42-PK adapter, which shortens the near-focus distance and lets me use trap-focus aka Catch-In-Focus easily. And it meters accurately!

In about a week, I'll start a three-month car-tenting trip. I'll take cameras and lenses -- but how many lenses, and which, and why? I'm considering several, but I think I've talked myself into taking the Takumar Bayonet 135/2.5 and the Jupiter-11 135/4, mainly because of 1) sharpness and 2) close focus. Good optics aren't enough -- I need to focus, too.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
What makes you this sure? Is it the era of the lens, or the look of the mount? I thought it might be pretty hard to tell given the closeness of the two measurements, but hoped someone with the lens might be able to tell from proportions.

I'm still holding hope since it was advertised as M42. What is it worth as a M39?

First, it's the era and second, I never met this lens in other than M39 mount. They are pretty common here. The Jupiter-11A is made for M42. Don't bother with it. It's still great lens and in worst case it will cost you 5USD more for adapter ring.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRunner wrote:
You won't be able to reach infinity without removing or modifying spacer ring which is located inside the lens barrel.

Easily accessed or a nightmare?

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine came with an M42 adapter ring already attached (I think, looks like it anyway rather than a new mount) and works fine Smile

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I now have 135mm lens number ten, but I told myself it was okay because I'll be selling some of the others. I found another Jupiter 11 - this one also advertised as M42 - and I hope it will be. It appears in so much prettier a state that I couldn't resist. Would anyone like the first one? Here is this one just purchased:

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
BRunner wrote:
You won't be able to reach infinity without removing or modifying spacer ring which is located inside the lens barrel.

Easily accessed or a nightmare?

Easiest from all lenses I own. You don't even need to fiddle with screws. Just unscrew entire front part with aperture ring. The spacer is made from more thin rings. You can remove only few of them to get exact infinity settings on M42.
Illustration image of my disassembled lens. On the left part, you can see the silver spacer rings.

woodrim wrote:
I found another Jupiter 11 - this one also advertised as M42 - and I hope it will be. It appears in so much prettier a state that I couldn't resist. Here is this one just purchased:

Very nice condition, indeed. But I suggest you to order M39->M42 adapter right away.

Only 11A was made for M42

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fat silver Jupiter-11 was available in both M39 and M42 mounts. I own the M42 model Smile

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent news, no-X, I hope mine are the M42 versions. Since both were advertised that way, I had thought maybe they had already been changed to M42, but the chance of being M42 from the start is better.

BRunner: Thanks for the explanation and picture. Seems a simple design. Worst case scenario doesn't seem too bad.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: I purchase these lenses abroad and they first go to a friend of mine. He collects my purchases and ships to me. I have not received them yet, but he has and he has also taken test pictures with his Canon digital. So this means that the two Jupiters are both M42 as advertised. I suppose I'll have one for sale after they arrive.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is possibly the most beautiful 135mm lens! I haven't used it much, found only one picture from last summer:

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Riku, why haven't you used it much? Is it more beautiful than its results?

My friend has sent me pictures, one each, from the three lenses I have in his possession now. These two Jupiters and a Helios 44M-7. Photography isn't his strength. I see no color fringing like I do with several of my other lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking this is about the lightest m39 135 I will find?

What difference in optics, weight, size between fat and slender versions?

What should I pay?

other alternatives for light LTM or M mount teles?

Ty, sirs