Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Japanese Monster Zooms !
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Japanese Monster Zooms ! Reply with quote

They were Huge ! (Bash !)
They were Heavy ! (Crunch !)
They were Popular ! (Roar !)
They are from Forty years Ago ! (Screech !)

Er, no not that Japanese monster -

These monsters -

The Vivitar(Tokina) 75-260/4.5, Sun Optics 80-240/4, and the mighty Tamron 80-250/3.8

These are all early 2-touch automatic zooms from 1969-1973, all with interchangable mounts. At one time they were surprisingly popular, and represented the top of their respective lines. All are very easy to find today.

Tamron 80-250/3.8 Adapt-a-matic (PZ-20Au)

This is actually one of the most common Adapt-a-matic lenses seen on Ebay, there always seems to be one on sale. I wonder why ?
It is a huge and unwieldy thing, a true Gojira of consumer zooms !

Sun-Zoom Macro 80-240/4 YS-mount

There is almost always one or more of these on ebay. Unlike some other Sun products, this was I think only sold under the Sun brand. Its a YS-interchangable mount, which was promoted by a consortium of Sigma, Sun, and other minor companies. It has an early macro-mode feature, with a switch that converts the zoom ring into a macro-focus moving internal elements apparently. But the most recognizable feature is the very odd tripod-mount screw.

Vivitar (Tokina) 75-260/4.5 T4 mount

This was sold by both Soligor and Vivitar, both in T4 only I think. This is extremely common, there are always several on ebay.

I will be conducting a head-to-head battle among these old monsters. With luck there will be no damage to the local infrastructure, but the authorities will be informed.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect good quality.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes, I love to shoot with these monsters!

The Tamron 60-300 is another one...

Or my favourite monster, the Soligor 70-220...

And I used to have this one: a Danubia 85-205...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Sometimes, I love to shoot with these monsters!

Me too! Very Happy

I have the 60-300 and 80-250, but my favourite 'monster' is the Tamron 200-500 SP which is truly monstrous and a bugger to use. IQ is prety good though.

Look forward to seeing your results.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have an 200-500 ? Can you give me 10 hi-res samples and one from lens itself ? This lens is still missing from my Tamron gallery.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Do you have an 200-500 ? Can you give me 10 hi-res samples and one from lens itself ? This lens is still missing from my Tamron gallery.

Sure thing Attila... give me a couple of days though.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost got one of those Tamron monsters today, but the screw mount wasn't working and looked VERY tentative on such a big lens. The mechanism for the pin wasn't engaging. I suppose I should have paid my $20 for it though...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xpres wrote:
Attila wrote:

Sure thing Attila... give me a couple of days though.

Many thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one too, though I have never used it. Not really a monster thou.
KOMURA ZOOM TL925 90-250/4.5

It has an interchangeable mount, mine is Minolta-SR mount,
according to some sample shots on the internet this is not
a bad lens. It is all metal construction and the length does not
change while zooming, but extends when you focus to near object.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking for that Komura !

They aren't common.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Their not monsters!... Reply with quote

They are all just tiddlers next to my Russian MTO 1000A 1100mm f10.5:
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/8108/sd14mtopg1.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, true !

But the idea was that, like Godzilla movies, these old monsters were popular, and consequently these days still quite common.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ~200mm telezooms in size order.
None of them really a monster, Tamron leading with 1359g and 178mm+hood.

DA50-200/4-5.6, M75-150/4, A70-210/4, Tamron SP 80-200/2.8