Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Issues with NEX and MF???
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:13 am    Post subject: Issues with NEX and MF??? Reply with quote

Not too much action in this forum, so maybe my question is answered, lol!

I have an EP1 that I enjoy using MF lenses on, excepting that the LCD resolution is a bit low.

I got a NEX3 which is a great camera for the family snapshots. Tried some MF lenses, but it defaults to too low a shutter speed in many cases (for example, when using a legacy 50mm, the NEX often lets the shutter drop to 1/30, which is 1 1/2 stops too slow with this lens).

Am I missing a trick here with this camera, or is it just not a great cam for MF?

I think the Oly has IBIS, which helps, and also as you dial in the FL, it seems to understand keeping the SS up. Wish the NEX had the same.

Wondering if anyone here has some tips/suggestions to maximize MF lenses. Was thinking about getting some Voigt glass, but not unless I can settle these issues!

Thanks for any tips.

Last edited by WT21 on Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
you are right unfortunately for the lack of stabilisation and the minimum shutter speed. - E-P1 is much better there. Also the LCD of the Olympus has a more correct colours than on the NEX.
The NEXes aren't that bad but you have to get use to them.

What I usually do with the NEX is to switch to 'P' mode, set 'Auto ISO' to off and have the ISO setting on the shortcut key. When you see that the shutter speed goes too low just push the ISO further until it is acceptable.

Also setting EV Compensation to - 1/3 helps to get more naturally looking pics.

BR,
Stefan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the NEX (delivery still pending!) but I know many users who love the NEX with manual lenses!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I've tried Av, Tv and M mode. Didn't think of P and controlling the ISO. Might be worth the try!

I find neither camera does it for me -- for instance, though I prefer the EP1 for the stated reasons, the MF control on the NEX is better -- return to normal view on half-press. Can't win I guess, lol!

Thanks for the tips.

std wrote:
Hi,
you are right unfortunately for the lack of stabilisation and the minimum shutter speed. - E-P1 is much better there. Also the LCD of the Olympus has a more correct colours than on the NEX.
The NEXes aren't that bad but you have to get use to them.

What I usually do with the NEX is to switch to 'P' mode, set 'Auto ISO' to off and have the ISO setting on the shortcut key. When you see that the shutter speed goes too low just push the ISO further until it is acceptable.

Also setting EV Compensation to - 1/3 helps to get more naturally looking pics.

BR,
Stefan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modes 'A' and 'M' won't work automatically with manual lens.
That's why I have ISO, WB and metering mode set on the shortcuts.
Another interesting thing i have noticed is that when you turn the flash on the speed doesn't go below 1/60.

Quote:

I find neither camera does it for me -- for instance, though I prefer the EP1 for the stated reasons, the MF control on the NEX is better -- return to normal view on half-press. Can't win I guess, lol!

Return from zoomed to normal view was easier in Oly, at least for me. Just press the same zoom button - i still catch myself doing this with Nex Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

std wrote:
Modes 'A' and 'M' won't work automatically with manual lens.

Do you mean that the NEX won't meter correctly with manual lenses in "A" or "M" mode?
Sorry, I cannot believe that. I know many guys who love their NEX with manual lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use a manual lens - since it doesn't report an f value to the body you see only flashing 'f --' when you go to 'A' mode.

And 'A' behaves as 'P' - if you close the aperture the shutter speed decreases to compensate. With auto ISO set when you start closing the lens the shutter speed drops to 1/30 before the camera decides go to the next ISO step. If the user is able to raise this minimum shutter speed it will be much better.

Also 'S' and 'M' modes behave the same - from the camera you can change only the shutter speed. There is no auto ISO in 'M'. In 'S' the ISO is limited up to 1600 even when you set it to auto.

I see no real use of all those modes with manual lenses - for me P with manually setting the ISO is OK.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried to set "fire without lens" in the menu?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Have you tried to set "fire without lens" in the menu?

That's the first thing you do .. otherwise it will not work with mf lenses. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, just mentioned it in case...

I will wait until I get my NEX3 and get back to this thread then. Wink