Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Isconar 100mm f/4.5 first try
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Isconar 100mm f/4.5 first try Reply with quote

I already knew that this was a good lens after seeing Oldhands excellent image thread. The price was great but the focus on my copy was very heavy, an easy solution was to mount it on a helicoid adapter. Actually, when I first handled it I was very disappointed to discover that the focusing ring actually was loose and nothing happened when I turned it. But I jammed it towards the infinity and then somehow it engaged with the optical block. What a great relief!

The design is simply beautiful and on the inside it hides a simple, slow, but excellent triplet formula.

The older rendering/look of triplet lenses has really started to grow on me. A big part thanks to Nordentro Very Happy

Camera: Sony a7
Raw converter: ACR

#5 f/5.6 or 8

#6 wide open

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 small

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Isconar 100mm f/4.5 first try Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:

. . .
The older rendering/look of triplet lenses has really started to grow on me. . .

Yes, I like that look!

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the very first MF lenses I got when I started this addiction was an Isconar 100mm 4.5. I was quite pleased with the results. The downside is I now have an spare room with bins brimming with lenses 3 or 4 hundred I'm guessing. Wink

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great dog portraits!

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

Very good photos!

ETA

BTW I just completed reassembly of an Isco-Göttingen Westar f4.5 100mm lens. It is not your lens but its appearance is very similar to your lens. I'm not at all a skilled lens technician, but mine is an easy lens to re-lube and tightening a few screws should fix your loose focus collar problem. You do need a VERY tiny screwdriver.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolan wrote:
Like 1 Like 1 small

55 wrote:
blotafton wrote:

. . .
The older rendering/look of triplet lenses has really started to grow on me. . .

Yes, I like that look!

kds315* wrote:
Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

TrueLoveOne wrote:
Great dog portraits!

Thanks guys!

jamaeolus wrote:
One of the very first MF lenses I got when I started this addiction was an Isconar 100mm 4.5. I was quite pleased with the results. The downside is I now have an spare room with bins brimming with lenses 3 or 4 hundred I'm guessing. Wink

That was a good start, too good maybe Smile

guardian wrote:
Like 1 Like 1

Very good photos!

ETA

BTW I just completed reassembly of an Isco-Göttingen Westar f4.5 100mm lens. It is not your lens but its appearance is very similar to your lens. I'm not at all a skilled lens technician, but mine is an easy lens to re-lube and tightening a few screws should fix your loose focus collar problem. You do need a VERY tiny screwdriver.

Thanks! Same here, I can preform minor repairs. I'll tighten those screws for sure. What is the recommended grease?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for being mentioned Like 1 small

The drawing is fabulous and has a lot of character. This lens has an interesting design, is very lightweight and affordable for sure Wink

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small

Steinheil made a Cassar 105/4.5 which is optically and mechanically similar to this ISCO lens. It will be nice to compare them side by side. Wink

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always liked the rendering Cooke Triplets produce!!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
. . .
Same here, I can preform minor repairs. I'll tighten those screws for sure. What is the recommended grease?

I've just begun learning to disassemble and grease lenses myself. After I researched helicoid grease earlier this year, I bought some of this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HELIMAX-XP-Camera-Telescope-Optical-Instrument-Focusing-Helicoid-Grease-w-PTFE-/271211561097?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10#viTabs_0

My local car parts store sells small tubes of white lithium grease, but they have only NLGI #2 which is thicker than the NLGI #1 I bought on ebay. For me, lighter is better so I use the #1 grease. And I've found that a little grease goes a long way, so a small amount should be enough for most people.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NLGI_consistency_number

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Thx for being mentioned Like 1 small

The drawing is fabulous and has a lot of character. This lens has an interesting design, is very lightweight and affordable for sure Wink

When I search google for obscure chrome/aluminum lenses your photos often show up Smile Your website is a great resource!

Yes and the low weight makes it a good combination on the A7.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Like 1 small

Steinheil made a Cassar 105/4.5 which is optically and mechanically similar to this ISCO lens. It will be nice to compare them side by side. Wink

That one looks suspiciously similar! If you have both go ahead! Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
I always liked the rendering Cooke Triplets produce!!

Like 1

55 wrote:
blotafton wrote:
. . .
Same here, I can preform minor repairs. I'll tighten those screws for sure. What is the recommended grease?

I've just begun learning to disassemble and grease lenses myself. After I researched helicoid grease earlier this year, I bought some of this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HELIMAX-XP-Camera-Telescope-Optical-Instrument-Focusing-Helicoid-Grease-w-PTFE-/271211561097?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10#viTabs_0

My local car parts store sells small tubes of white lithium grease, but they have only NLGI #2 which is thicker than the NLGI #1 I bought on ebay. For me, lighter is better so I use the #1 grease. And I've found that a little grease goes a long way, so a small amount should be enough for most people.

Thanks! I used gun grease an old Agfa folder before, probably not the best choice Laughing

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

55 wrote:
blotafton wrote:
. . .

Agreed. I use Helimax as well. After all, it is designed to grease lenses.

The stuff is incredibly long lasting. Only the tiniest amount will grease a lens. There is REAL danger in using too much.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I obtained one of these Isconar 100 4.5s recently, and I'm wondering what others do about the filter thread...

As far as I can tell it seems to be 41mm, which is a very odd size for hoods, filters, and step-up rings.

There are some 41-58mm step-up rings out there, but that seems excessive for such a small, lightweight lens.