Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Isco Iscotar 2.8/50
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject: Isco Iscotar 2.8/50 Reply with quote

People ask about this lens sometimes but I don't think anybody here has posted results with it. There are two version of this lens, an earlier version in a "zebra" metal barrel, and a later version used here with a black plastic barrel. Optically they are the same so far as I know. It is simple triplet with front element focusing. My example is in excellent condition, the plastic ones can suffer from plastic degradation over the years, but mine is still nice and solid.

Now for a quick test of front sharpness and background OOF at f/2.8 and f/5.6:

As one might expect close focus is particularly bad wide open. This lens was really not designed for it.

Back sharpness and front OOF at f/2.8 and f/5.6:

Bokeh test:

I was expecting sparkling, swirling bokeh but instead got a pretty smooth result wide open. I expect there may be subtle swirl on full frame and will be testing it on film soon.

Conclusion so far - honestly not as good as the more common Domiplan or Meritar triplets. Front element focusing might be acceptable on a longer lens with narrower angle of view and a longer minimum focus distance but it produces rather poor results on normal lens at close distances. Obviously they knew that very few photos would be taken up close at max aperture so it was an acceptable corner to cut unit focusing but the results speak for themselves. At average distances and average apertures the lens is as good as any triplet has any right to be. The OOF rendering is nice and smooth and the color and contrast look natural. A good lens for family snapshots and postcard photos... but maybe not worth the money for a bokeh enthusiast or pro. I did think the results were better than what I got out of a Steinheil Cassaron 2.8/50, but the Meritar is still my favorite 50mm triplet.