Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Isco-Göttingen Westar 100mm f4.5 in Exakta Mt.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:51 am    Post subject: Isco-Göttingen Westar 100mm f4.5 in Exakta Mt. Reply with quote

Any /experience/opinions/image samples on this lens? Got this at an antique shop~and there is some fungi on the back of the front element, and the front of the second element that I did not see earlier. I have applied some herbal fungicide-and am letting it bath under a UV lamp for now,before I clean it with naphtha and Eclipse.

Last edited by Kathmandu on Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:25 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a fabulous looking lens!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens cleaned up pretty well except the fungus-which has left an imprint on the glass. The lens is usable now Very Happy . Its a unique looking lens for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that imprint on a coating, or is the lens too old for coatings? I wonder how fungus does that - glass is a very hard surface. Will it affect the image at all?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Is that imprint on a coating, or is the lens too old for coatings? I wonder how fungus does that - glass is a very hard surface. Will it affect the image at all?

It looks as though it has a coating -The Fungus has left an etching of itself on the glass. I have seen worst etchings left by fungi on lens elements-to the point they look like pit marks. It does not seem to affect the image @ this point so I plan on using it this way-and periodically bathing it in my UV box.I don't foresee cleaning this further lest I mar the glass.
I am always open to suggestions.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some images, with this fungus etched lens- showing signs of its past glory days Very Happy-This lens could have a few applications as the tube in the back(with lens mount) is just an extension and screws off. The lens helical,aperture ,elements all reside in the smaller upper-half.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a lens like this but in M42 mount. Not the sharpest in the pack but it produces surprisingly vivid and pleasant colors. From this POV probably the best lens after Mamiya/Sekor 50mm f1.4. Enjoy it. It's a fun lens to work with.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathmandu wrote:
This lens could have a few applications as the tube in the back(with lens mount) is just an extension and screws off. The lens helical,aperture ,elements all reside in the smaller upper-half.

Quite common for a lens of that epoch. It was done on purpose, to allow using the optical head on a bellows without the barrel ...

You could have some nice surprises trying this setup ...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just won one of these on eBay, only a few hours ago, for US$10+$8 shipped. Now I feel so coincidental.

Everybody: What is your favorite 100/4.5 lens?

I'll vote for the Enna Tele-Sandmar. What's yours?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this lens, it's unusual looking, very lightweight and can produce decent pictures. Here's a couple of shoots from mine Wink

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Isco Westar 100/4.5 converted from Exakta to M42:

And some samples:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful crisp samples, congrats!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Beautiful crisp samples, congrats!

+1 Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I cant believe the quality and clarity from this lens! I have one of these, used it once, and then put it back under my bed.
I just tried taking the lens apart to try and clean the lens elements, lost a tiny spring and tiny ball bearing that fell out from not holding it upright, then the aperture blades stopped working for some strange reason, I didn't touch them and they were smooth as butter before I took it apart. Tried putting it back together and now the aperture ring is completely stiff (and aperture blades still don't work) and now thw focus is totally stiff. I just ruined a nice lens (Had the elements cleaned perfectly with no dust or fungus. Sad

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burrencrawler wrote:
Yes, I cant believe the quality and clarity from this lens! I have one of these, used it once, and then put it back under my bed.
I just tried taking the lens apart to try and clean the lens elements, lost a tiny spring and tiny ball bearing that fell out from not holding it upright, then the aperture blades stopped working for some strange reason, I didn't touch them and they were smooth as butter before I took it apart. Tried putting it back together and now the aperture ring is completely stiff (and aperture blades still don't work) and now thw focus is totally stiff. I just ruined a nice lens (Had the elements cleaned perfectly with no dust or fungus. Sad

Happens to me too.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got some great, sharp shots. Congratulations.

I have this lens in native M42 mount. I like using it on a NEX (A7 in this case) with about 12mm of extension. Makes a nice "garden" lens Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am curious Kathmandu, how you were able to take apart and put that lens back together. I have one that unscrews
when I focus up close.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
I am curious Kathmandu, how you were able to take apart and put that lens back together. I have one that unscrews
when I focus up close.

The front element unscrews? It should have a pin inside that keeps the focus ring from turning too far.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
uddhava wrote:
when I focus up close.

The front element unscrews? It should have a pin inside that keeps the focus ring from turning too far.

Thank you, but sorry I did not explain it clearly. The two screws(circled in red) are missing. That is why it can unscrew. I will have to get some screws to fasten that. However, when I fasten it the focusing stop(circled in green) will hit the pin and I won't be able to screw the lens back together.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
Mos6502 wrote:
uddhava wrote:
when I focus up close.

Thank you, but sorry I did not explain it clearly. The two screws(circled in red) are missing. That is why it can unscrew. I will have to get some screws to fasten that. However, when I fasten it the focusing stop(circled in green) will hit the pin and I won't be able to screw the lens back together.

There are set screws around the outside of the focus ring that need to be loosened to allow the inside to turn while the outside is stationary. Once it is screwed in, one can match the focus to the indicated distance and retighten the screws.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
uddhava wrote:
Mos6502 wrote:
uddhava wrote:
when I focus up close.

There are set screws around the outside of the focus ring that need to be loosened to allow the inside to turn while the outside is stationary. Once it is screwed in, one can match the focus to the indicated distance and retighten the screws.

Thanks for the information! BTW, do you have any idea where I could purchase the small screws I would need?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea what size those screws are? I don't have any so narrow.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an M42 100 4.5. My first isco. I was quite impressed and purchased several more. Some of these were very good others, meh. I too have ruined good lenses. I bought a rolleiflex sl35 with a planar 50 1.8. Trying to use a big-is adapter that allows infinity the aperture pin became detached from a connecting stirrup. Trying to reconnect the other end of the linkage detached. It's inside the housing with the aperture and I can't figure out how to open it. Mfl should set up a lens resurrection cooperative. Send in your damaged, parts missing lenses, get points toward purchase of a refurbished lens?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:

I know this is an old post, but thought I should add my 2 cents.
The fungus releases an acid, the acid etches the glass/coating if left for a long period, thats why you get it cleaned asap.
The IQ shouldn't be effected all that much till most of the element is etched, the PSF will show the etching.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:07 pm    Post subject: help with my isco Reply with quote

Not sure if this conversation is still active or not. in your second photo.. I see another possible cover or lens laying flat on the piece of paper - what is that? My lens does not have that piece. My bigger question is this - I had to take my lens apart much like you did but when putting it back together.. I cant figure how much to screw in the front glass piece. you have it shown screwed into your top piece but I had to unscrew it. when I screw the glass piece back in..do I screw it down all the way ? not too tight? my lens wont focus so I dont know what is going on. thank you.