Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is this fungus?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Is this fungus? Reply with quote

Got Vivitar S1 135/2.3 today. Looks like new, great lens...

yet after looking closely at it, i discover this thing all over the rear element.

is it fungus, or damaged coating?

here's the pics of the lens:
http://kvolkov.com/img/tmp/vivitar_s1_135_2.3/_MG_6044_1.jpg
http://kvolkov.com/img/tmp/vivitar_s1_135_2.3/_MG_6045_1.jpg

got 2 lenses today, also an md rokkor 50/1.2, which has a damaged coating or small fungus on the rear element to... this is like the best day lately...
tnx there's paypal customer protection.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this fungus? Reply with quote

vulko wrote:

is it fungus, or damaged coating?

Or coating damaged by fungus? Looks quite bad Sad

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it does. Made couple of pics. Flowers look good. People shooting no so much, lack of contrast.
Payed 87 euros for this lens. Proposed seller to make either 60 euros refund, I guess I can sell it for 30 euros, not such a big deal. Or make a full refund + shipping costs, which will make about -25 euros for him, for the shipment and ebay costs. Trying to be a nice guy here Smile

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure , but looks lens cleaning fluid or simple water went to inner elements and after dry left these trace path.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Not sure , but looks lens cleaning fluid or simple water went to inner elements and after dry left these trace path.

Screwed the rear element out of the lensbody. Tried to clean it with special fluid and piece of soft cloath, no results. This thing is still there. And as it can be seen only from close distance under the light, i assume its damaged coating. Maybe as you said this was left after cleaning fluid, which is not supposed for lenses with coating. Well at least there's an easy way to solve it, just replace the rear elent which can be easily removed. Yet where can i find one... thats the problem... Smile

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you're going that far. Try wiping it off [gently] with a clean lens cleaning cloth soaked in lighter fluid or naptha , and clean/wipe it off [gently ]with some shaving foam~ UNDER running luke warm water. This worked for me on an old Pentacon 200mm. Try this at your own risk -I'm just telling you what worked for me in what looks like a similar problem.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathmandu wrote:
Since you're going that far. Try wiping it off [gently] with a clean lens cleaning cloth soaked in lighter fluid or naptha , and clean/wipe it off [gently ]with some shaving foam~ UNDER running luke warm water. This worked for me on an old Pentacon 200mm. Try this at your own risk -I'm just telling you what worked for me in what looks like a similar problem.

so basicaly with kerosene. that could cause further damage, or complete removal of the coating, maybe that's why it helped you? Smile)

well kidding aside, tnx for advice. will try it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

This looks like fungus to me ... Try with some cold cream (you can find it in a perfume shop, branded Avene or Pond's, and its cheap). Spread the cream with a Q-tip on the lens (both sides), let dry for about 30 min., then remove the cream with Zippo fluid ...

Hope this helps.

Best wishes for your lens ...

P.S.: The Zippo fluid doesn't damage the lenses nor the coating, AFAIK ...

Last edited by indianadinos on Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulko wrote:
Kathmandu wrote:

so basicaly with kerosene. that could cause further damage, or complete removal of the coating, maybe that's why it helped you? Smile)

well kidding aside, tnx for advice. will try it.

Yes , and yes and if you're going to do this use care lest you scratch the surface of the lens. Another solution is to use it as is-it may look ugly but it wear would not show on your images hopefully. Like you mentioned -looking for a identicakl parts lens with good elements is of course your best solution.

I do not dislike my Pentacon 200 with the coating removed from the front element.

With damage present when I bought this. @4 o'clock you can see the damage.

Taken with damaged coating

Lens with coating in front element removed.

Taken with lens coating removed from front element.

Last edited by Kathmandu on Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the mean time, here flower shots at f2.5 with 100% crop:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indianadinos wrote:
Hi,

This looks like fungus to me ... Try with some cold cream (you can find it in a perfume shop, branded Avene or Pond's, and its cheap). Spread the cream with a Q-tip on the lens (both sides), let dry for about 30 min., then remove the cream with Zippo fluid ...

Hope this helps.

I would try "indianadinos's " suggestion first-he has a good blog on cleaning fungus from lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathmandu wrote:
indianadinos wrote:
Hi,

Hope this helps.

I would try "indianadinos's " suggestion first-he has a good blog on cleaning fungus from lenses.

Tnx, I don't have any Zippo fluid, but cold cream is there. So I'm trying w/o zippo... if won't help, i'm gonna have to buy it tommorow then.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

vulko wrote:

Tnx, I don't have any Zippo fluid, but cold cream is there. So I'm trying w/o zippo... if won't help, i'm gonna have to buy it tommorow then.

You can also try some lens cleaning fluid instead of Zippo fluid, it will just take (a lot ?) more time to properly remove the dried cream from the lens ...

BTW, i forgot: Zippo fluid leaves some residuals on the lens after drying, use some lens cleaner (or distilled water) to remove them. Then with a bit of luck, your lens will look like this one:

IMGP0067 by indianadinos, on Flickr

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omg, just the cold cream helped Smile The only issue left, cannot remove all the traces of this cream. Gonna do it tommorow then... my piece of special cloth is all wet, need to clean and dry it.