Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is there interest in custom tripod mounts for lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:21 am    Post subject: Is there interest in custom tripod mounts for lens? Reply with quote

Hello.

I've already manufactured couple of tripod mount collars for non-standard lens. Now I'm interested, is there any interest in such items from community?

I'm using CNC for manufacturing, material can be aluminum, brass, polycarbonate, acrylic and even wood.

I estimate price to be around $50 + S&H, how do you think, anyone needs such service?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the big heavy Pentacon 135 / 2.8 is a candidate for a tripod mount, as is the 200 / 4. The main problem with these lenses is that the ideal place for a tripod ring is tapered by 1mm over 20mm length.
I modified a really nice mount from an old Sun zoom by using a bit of softish plastic ( Polythene ? ) with a thin shim around one edge. It works just fine. There are three screws around the Sun mount which I have adjusted to grip the taper better, but I don't think they are essential.

There are some other lenses that I want mounts for as well, some have very narrow spaces - maybe 5 mm - but I think a mount could still be made.

I was looking for mounts for a lens a while back and did a lot of searching on the internet but could not find anyone selling generic tripod mounts by size. ebay and Amazon have thousands for sale, as long as you want one for a specific lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making tapered mount is absolutely no problem for me, nor it is a problem to make any specific shape mount. The problem is, how precisely a user can measure the dimensions?
I guess no one going to send me expensive lens just for measuring Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a dead lens that's in bits, I'll have that part somewhere.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do see a market for that. I also see the need for a modular design, to keep cost down.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, design is already modular - there's round retaining ring and flat base. Technically I can mill them from one piece of material, but it will have amazing costs.

Additional plus is, that since part is CNCed, I can add any text, scale, etc. to collar, including personal names/etc.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, guess you'll have my order(s) soon!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I desperately need one of those. My Vivitar 70-210 is killing my a6000!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I see an interest in this offer, I have a counter offer:

Currently, I have a piece of transparent acrylic (20mm thick), which can be used to make 2-3 collars, but it is scratched a bit, so it needs to be polished.

Polishing acrylic is quite hard and time consuming. So I prefer to use this piece for non-precise tasks.

If you'd agree that your collar will be transparent, max thickness 20mm and with some scratches, I will make 2-3 collars (depend on lens size) for free. You just pay me shipping, which will be around $10-$25 (depending on destination country).

Tripod mounting base will be aluminum of course.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one. Please note, thickness is overkill, I made it just that thick for illustration purposes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good idea!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"frosted" version with custom text:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made color LED illumination to that adapter Smile Least practical purpose, but it is great as eye-catcher for shop/sale/exhibition etc. Smile Will post photos shortly.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CuriousOne wrote:
I made color LED illumination to that adapter Smile Least practical purpose, but it is great as eye-catcher for shop/sale/exhibition etc. Smile Will post photos shortly.

I'm sure it's also blinking, very american, reminds me when visiting our family over there Laughing Laughing Laughing

Great indeed for attracting attention to common lens buyers (it wards me off though - if it has to be "loud", it can't be good) Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it also changes colors Smile

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe, for middle east customers, gold plated version also has right to exist Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:52 am    Post subject: I'd do it this way Reply with quote

1. Camera hand strap ($4)
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAwMFgxMDAw/z/2QkAAOSw-dBTvz-b/$_12.JPG
Take out the hand strap, use the base that is tri-pod ready.

2. Large hose clamp, adjustable, similar to this one ($5).
http://image.china-ogpe.com/pimage/730/image/Europeans_type_hose_clamps_Product730.jpg
Add soft lining to the inside of ring.

3. Put 1 and 2 together whichever way that you think fit.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One Asian customer asked, whenever I can do such adapters with famous lens brands, logos, etc. Will that be a legit business?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CuriousOne wrote:
One Asian customer asked, whenever I can do such adapters with famous lens brands, logos, etc. Will that be a legit business?

It depends but I would suggest you not to include any of these.

For example, here is the information you need if you want to use these on products related to the most famous non-eatable-fruit.
http://www.apple.com/legal/intellectual-property/guidelinesfor3rdparties.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's plenty of people selling camera straps with "For Nikon" or whatever on them, in the Nikon or Olympus logo / font. They seem to get away with it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So one can get a customized tripod mount collar from you?
Where are you based, because of shipping and tax?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
So one can get a customized tripod mount collar from you?
Where are you based, because of shipping and tax?

+1

btw, for the "thick" versions: you might add optional 3 flash shoes, that the owner can built his own macro flash

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, forgot to look into this department. If anything urgent, please sent me PM, so I will get notified and will reply quickly.

The holder manufacturing "facility" is located in Tbilisi, Georgia.

If holder weight will be below 200 grams (it will be so in most cases, when material is acrylic), than worldwide shipping will be $10. If weight will be in range of 200-500grams, then shipping will be $25. Package will be sent via registered air mail with tracking number. Average 15 business days worldwide delivery (based on about 200+ items sold on ebay). Record breaking result was 8 business days delivery to thailand and 45 business day to Italy (parcel arived in Italy in 5 days, but was held on Italian customs for 40 days). For customs reason at receiver side, Germany and Italy will take up to 45 business days.

Regarding the macro ring version, I've already manufactured such "pedestal" (much like Minolta macro stand) for an another asian customer. But design included some of his ideas and textual information, so I was asked no to share it to public.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good idea. I have been looking for a mount that will fit my Hartblei P6 to M42 adapter. I have a really nice lens I'd like to mount on my A6000 but the balance is way out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CuriousOne wrote:

I recommend staying away from that, or you might get into serious legal trouble sooner or later!!