Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is it fungus?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:49 am    Post subject: Is it fungus? Reply with quote

On some of my lenses I see some small dots surrounded by a haze halo. This is not the spider like mold usually associated with fungus but I am afraid that it could be the first stage of development.

It is not so easy to take a pic of that but I will try to if what I state is unclear.

I also thought of some kind of out-gassing that would concentrate on dust spots that would not be that bad.

If you have any clue I am interested.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put up a picture.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a picture would help but just going by your description my best guess would indeed be early stage fungus.

One of two possibilities spring to mind if it is indeed fungus:

1) The lens(es) having been subjected to a relatively short continuous period of RH over 70%, for maybe a couple of weeks at most, followed by plummeting RH levels which made the freshly germinated fungus go dormant.

2) The lenses having been very clean (no organic dust & no grease/oil/fingerprints) so the germinated spores did not find any/sufficient nutrient sources and again, went dormant.

The lenses where I have had this happen to in the past tend to still clean up fine with a bit of isopropyl alcohol if you can access the glass surfaces affected.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
Put up a picture.

The two spots at the left of the blue dot.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see the spidery web but it could be a beginning.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
I can't see the spidery web but it could be a beginning.

Thank you. Hope to read additional opinions.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What lenses?
If they're not that valuable scrap them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
What lenses?

Value is relative, yes? I once sold a bunch of fungus-infested zoom lenses to a fellow in Indonesia who was so happy to get them! He took them apart, repaired them, & resold at a nice profit.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
What lenses?

It is a Tamron 01b. Not expensive. But it is my third copy. One was completely fungi infested and the second was decentered. So price is not the issue but I struggle much more than 10 years ago buying good lenses. In the good old days a lemon was an exception. Now it is the other way around.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These Tamron BBAR lenses are absolutely the worst for fungus. There's just something about the coatings that fungus finds delicious. I'd say probably at least 9 out of 10 Tamron BBAR lenses of that generation have some degree of fungus if you look closely enough.

What you are seeing in these pictures is where a dust mote settled on the lens surface carrying a fungal spore, and a culture got established (the round halo around it). The fungus is spreading out from the mote in the middle and if allowed to grow will develop into the more familiar web pattern.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:
These Tamron BBAR lenses are absolutely the worst for fungus. There's just something about the coatings that fungus finds delicious. I'd say probably at least 9 out of 10 Tamron BBAR lenses of that generation have some degree of fungus if you look closely enough.

What you are seeing in these pictures is where a dust mote settled on the lens surface carrying a fungal spore, and a culture got established (the round halo around it). The fungus is spreading out from the mote in the middle and if allowed to grow will develop into the more familiar web pattern.

Bad news. I also have a 46A with the same problem. Both the 01A and the 46A that are fungused are the best out of three samples so I keep them despite my ire.