Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in
Interesting online auction house
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Interesting online auction house Reply with quote

I was looking online at some lenses, and found some saved internet auction(s) mostly from years past.

I was looking at what some of these items in lots sold, and was shaking my head...!

Some amazing deals were had at this site.

http://www.skinnerinc.com/auctions/2708T/lots/377

did these auctioneers know what they have on their hands, or was the market for non digital lenses just not as inflated back then????

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting online auction house Reply with quote

davidblue1984 wrote:
I was looking online at some lenses, and found some saved internet auction(s) mostly from years past.

I was looking at what some of these items in lots sold, and was shaking my head...!

Some amazing deals were had at this site.

http://www.skinnerinc.com/auctions/2708T/lots/377

did these auctioneers know what they have on their hands, or was the market for non digital lenses just not as inflated back then????

I get their catalogues always, as I know them for lomng, but was never tempted to bid....hmmmm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i def. would be tempted but alas most of those auctions have expired. some of those camera/lens lots have some very rare/appealing pieces.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that traditional auction houses will tack on a 15-20% buyer premium, sometimes also state sales tax, and shipping... well they are not going to be losing any money on that. No siree Bob! For example, not long ago I won a lens in an auction like that with a $45 bid. The final cost was $81 with $27.5 paid for a medium-priority size box. However, I expected that, in fact I bid with the expectation of the $40 overhead, but a newbie might get a shocker when he or she learns just how much a UPS store charges.