Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Info on Lentar lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Info on Lentar lenses Reply with quote

HI all,

For fans of Lentar lenses.

I just picked up a 300mm f/5/5 Tele-Lentar, LNIB - really nice.

Here's a scan of the full Lentar line (c. 1960s - 1970s) from Lenco, Inc. a distributer located in Chicago, USA

Enjoy!

paul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

I have a great many of these, many in the Lentar brand, the info is very interesting.
The old preset Tokinas for the most part.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have quite a few of these as well. The telephotos are actually pretty decent stopped down a bit.

P.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up the 200mm 4.5 with both caps and case for $5 at the local photo store. Its not a bad lens at all. As stated just a little soft wide open.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say most of those, maybe all of them, are Tokinas. Lovely all-metal build quality, optical quality is more spotty.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

About a year (?) ago I found and bought a copy of that Lentar 300 for six bucks.

The seller was too lazy to ship the lens in a box. Instead he shipped it to me in a bubble pak.

During shipment the lens slipped out of its bubble wrapping, to where about the first two inches were unprotected, whereupon it must have suffered a really hard strike with something most unyielding.

Upon arrival my once-perfect lens had a badly dented filter ring, and the front element was severely crazed across most of the element. It's a guess, but I think the strike caused compound front elements to be ripped apart. It's an unfeasible repair situation because the severely damaged filter ring threads make removal of that front element impossible. Pity because the rear portion of the lens is almost like new. Crying or Very sad

Have been watching ever since for another copy of the lens . . . and they do come up for sale from time to time. But I guess people have caught on that they're not bad lenses, because my six dollar lens now is selling for between twenty and thirty dollars, a bit more than I'm going to spend.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Info on Lentar lenses Reply with quote

pdccameras wrote:
. . .
Here's a scan of the full Lentar line (c. 1960s - 1970s) from Lenco, Inc. a distributer located in Chicago, USA
. . .

Bump. Thanks for posting those! It's wonderful to have such reference data.
I also have a Lentar lens list from Lenco Inc. But mine appears to be older. Some differences I've noticed are:

My list includes a 100mm f/4.
The preset 135mm f2.8 on my list has 5 elements instead of 4.
The preset 180mm f/3.5 on my list has a 62mm filter thread instead of 58mm.
The 200mm f/4.5s have different designs - both preset and auto.
The 600mm f/8s have different bodies.
The 800mm f/8 is missing from my list.
The 90-230mm f/4.5 zooms are missing from my list.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried out a 200mm 3.5 Auto Tele-Lentar a few days ago. I'd been ignoring it for a long time. I was pleasantly surprised by the results. It's a four-element lens, I see.

I've been considering acquiring a 300mm - maybe I'll try one of these.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are fun and affordable. Nice addition to the reference we are building here!