Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Infinity Focus Problems with Contax 3.4/35-70...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:15 am    Post subject: Infinity Focus Problems with Contax 3.4/35-70... Reply with quote

Hello forum people,

Yes, I did use the search functon before, but I couldn't find anything that solved my question:

I have a Contax 35-70 on a 5DII, and when I take pictures of things very far away, turning the focus dial to infinity doesn't produce sharp images. When I focus using live view, and also when I compare pictures of different settings, It looks like the actual infinity is somewhere around the 15m/50ft mark or something. it sucks, because with those 'focus-easy' motives, I just turn the focus dial to the end and shoot, but it requires some pita adjustment. (On a side note, this f/8-plus-focus-dial-somewhere-at-the-end technique doesn't produce sharpness at infinity either.)

Can anyone relate to this? I read that the flange focal distance of the 5DII is 44mm and the Contax originally has 45.5mm. My simple adaptor is 1.5mm strong, so that should make a perfect match.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Chris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have another C/Y mount lens you can test with this adapter or another adpater you can test with this lens?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most C/Y adapters are too thin, producing exactly the effect you described. Heck, even Fotodiox Pro adapters are too thin (thinner than even Chinese generic ones)! I have only tried one pro-grade adapter that was of a proper thickness; those are currently available on eBay for $90 with an HK Optix chip. Stupid me didn't keep it...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your adapter is too THICK. If it were too thin, you would get infinity focus too early. If you don't get it at all, your adapter is too thin. Have you got any more lenses you could check with that adapter?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your responses, fast as always Smile

Actually, the behavior is like the adaptor is too thin, what happens is that the infinity focus is reached before I hit the infinity mark. It's the same with my 21mm Zuiko, too, but not as difficult to handle as with the Contax 35-70.

So you guys are saying that this is normal, the adaptor being too thin? That sucks. Especially because nowadays it shouldn't be THAT hard to manufacture a simple piece like that with a little more precision.

The biggest downside about parts from HK is that when it arrives here in Berlin, I have to go pick it up myself at the customs office on the other side of the town.

@aoleg: Could you specify the adaptor you were talking about, I couldn't find it. Thanks!

Best regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_weinert wrote:
The biggest downside about parts from HK is that when it arrives here in Berlin, I have to go pick it up myself at the customs office on the other side of the town.

You mean, ALWAYS? Even for cheap stuff, under 100-200 EUR? Berlin is quite big, I gather. I though Germany was a developed country with good integration into international economy... Smile No, really; my wife and I are planning to move to Berlin for a couple of years - is it THAT bad with international parcels?

chris_weinert wrote:
@aoleg: Could you specify the adaptor you were talking about, I couldn't find it. Thanks!

It's this one: Click here to see on Ebay. $88 incl. shipping.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris wrote:
Especially because nowadays it shouldn't be THAT hard to manufacture a simple piece like that with a little more precision

if the adapter is exact precision, lens slightly misaligned won't reach infinity focus, so manufacturer prefer to make it ticker for better compatibility
just use liveview with your 5DII

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
chris_weinert wrote:

You mean, ALWAYS? Even for cheap stuff, under 100-200 EUR? Berlin is quite big, I gather.

Well, I don't know, I just ordered one of these focussing screens once, it was from HK and around... dunno... 65 Euros or something, and yep, I had to drive there and pick it up and pay the so-called 'import VAT', no customs though, that only starts at 150 Euros or something.

On the other hand, I ordered some audio equipment stuff from the US once, that was way more expensive than the focussing screen, and I could pick that up straight from the post office and pay the tax there. Don't know why.

@poilu: Ah ok, thanks for the explanation! Well, I'm already using live view, but it's still a pain.

Thanks,
Chris