Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Industar 50 Focus Ring
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Industar 50 Focus Ring Reply with quote

A friend of mine has just got a very nice looking Zenit 3M. The Industar lens that came with it looks in good condition, but the focus ring won't budge. There are no signs of external damage.

Is this a common fault and how can it be fixed?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it is dry , too dry.Need to open lens and put some grease onto focusing helical.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking apart an industar-50 is not very difficult . The grease of helical is probably catalyzed like resin , and need to be removed with Coleman fluid (white gas , Lighter fluid) , then replaced by lithium grease , to use this marvelous lens more 50 years ... Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See

http://forum.mflenses.com/industar-50-2-sticky-focus-t12407.html

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It worked a treat. Thanks!!

It was so solid I had to wear rubber gloves to get it to turn at all. It took about 10 mins and forearm cramp to get it to budge. Cleaned the thread with solvent to removed the old grease which was now like tar, then added a few dabs of WD40 on a cotton and wound the lens in and aout a few times, before drying it off & regreasing. It's so smooth now.