Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

In my mailbox today :)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was two rolls of film from the same batch.
They were developed by a local lab, not by me. I guess that they did them simultaneously, not individually, but I'm not sure.

I've just had a close look at the rear lens in bright sunlight and on the side that isn't accessible there is something that is probably the cause. I have a nasty feeling it might be glue breaking down between two lenses. If it is, how can I get them put back together? Or is it something else that I can reach just by unscrewing this element?

It looks obvious enough there but with the iris behind it you can't see anything unless the light is oblique. Is it fungus?

(PS: That image is one more triumph for the 35/2.4 Flektogon. I don't know what I'd do without that lens!)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can see, it doesn't look like fungus to me, rather like some coating problem - if there was a coating at all. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I guess that back element would unscrew easily but I'm one of those people who can take things apart but can't necessarily get them back together, so I am a bit reluctant to mess about with such a fine old machine in case I damage it.

Does anyone know if it is a straightforward unscrewing of that inner ring to make the lens come out to clean it? I don't want to find that parts of the shutter start falling out.

Alternatively, are there professional optical experts who would do whatever work it needs to put it back in first-class working order for a modest fee? I don't mind spending a little to restore a historical instrument to pristine condition.

I have to go out on a job for a quite a few hours now. Back tonight (whatever that might mean in your time zone)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it salt? Someone dropped it to sea .. Confused

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks did drop into water and after dried left this mess there. You should open it and clean it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm just off out to cover sports again, but when I get back I'll have a go. Which of those two rings should I try to undo, the inner one or the outer one, any idea? Is there some lubricant I can use to help get them off if necessary?

Paul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either ring is possible with right tool it will open without difficulties at least I expect this.
Click here to see on Ebay