Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Identifying Helios-44, what year is it? Anything special?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Identifying Helios-44, what year is it? Anything special? Reply with quote

I'm new to Vintage Lens and I wanted to ask if anyone can identify the year on this Helios-44 lens, it's also the first vintage lens I bought. I was told the first two numbers should indicate the year on Russian lens but there are 000 as the first three numbers, also this lens has 13 blades and there's a comma for "5,8" which makes me think there's something completely different about it. Could someone provide me insight on this lens and identify what year it was made in?

Last edited by AndyPham7 on Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Vintage Lens, what year is it? Reply with quote

AndyPham7 wrote:
I'm new to Vintage Lens and I wanted to ask if anyone can identify the year on this Helios-44 lens, it's also the first vintage lens I bought. I was told the first two numbers should indicate the year on Russian lens but there are 000 as the first three numbers, also this lens has 13 blades and there's a comma for "5,8" which makes me think there's something completely different about it. Could someone provide me insight on this lens and identify what year it was made in?

Just helping you out here with your images.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 000 serial numbers are supposed to indicate being made for Soviet hierarchy, and made to a higher standard. The 13 blade 44-2's are also uncommon and much sought after. I think you've got a nice lens there.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not convinced that 00, 000, 0000 serial numbered lenses were specially made for Party members, I think they were just early production.
That said, it's a good lens, I assume it's the type that goes to f22, they are the first generation type of H44, which later had the body redesigned and goes to f16.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it says F22 on it. What year were the first generations made? Also, does anyone have a clean and polish product they recommend to clean out those aluminum pits?

Quote:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<1960
http://forum.mflenses.com/complete-list-of-helios-lenses-getting-closer-t26100.html#1009166
Scotch Brite pads

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lens worth doing a CLA, my tutorial:

http://www.verybiglobo.com/category/guides-tutorials/

Tomas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Andy.
Congratulations for the nice lens!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:

Tomas

These are different lenses, the aperture operates differently, like CZJ silver preset, I've not seen a how too guide for an f22 version Helios 44, and I don't want to mess with my 0000 serial to find out.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Untill step 6, it will be the same.
This lens has a big spring under the diaph ring in order to allow the push system to work (this system is the same on very early KMZ Jupiter-11 SLR).

About the date, production started in 1958 (at least, for Start, maybe 1959 for M39). As far as I know, this aperture system was abandonned in 1960 on Jupiter-11, as it was said, we can safely say that it was produced in 1959 (or 1958).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
tomasg wrote:

Tomas

These are different lenses, the aperture operates differently, like CZJ silver preset, I've not seen a how too guide for an f22 version Helios 44, and I don't want to mess with my 0000 serial to find out.

I didn`t know that they are so different. So this one operates like a CZJ Biotar for example, by pushing in the aperture ring turning it to the desired aperture, releasing it and then turning it again to open the aperture to allow a brighter viewfinder? Does it also has a pin at the mount? Or is it something "inbetween"

I CLA-ed some that operate this way, not overly complicated for someone with some experience, but NOT for a biginner as the OP probably is.

Ah just found some pics of a Tessar that functions this way that i CLA-ed:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the Helios-44 f22 is like this Tessar.
Here is the optical block on the early Jupiter-11 KMZ (1958) I talked about :

I cannot say 100% as I also don't really want to disassemble my 000 Helios-44 too, but it should be like this.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha i see Pierre, that s something very different from the Tessar. I have another Biotar, that might be closer to the Helios i will separate the two main blocks tomorrow and post a pic.

Tomas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a quick jpeg shot with a Sony A7 from a few days ago.

Quote: