Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ica (Zeiss) Universal Juwel - Queen of German Plate Cameras
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: Ica (Zeiss) Universal Juwel - Queen of German Plate Cameras Reply with quote

I'm not sure I'm lucky I found this-

Ica (part of Zeiss when this was made I think, but still has the Ica name) Universal Juwel

The Juwel was the top of the Ica - and Zeiss-Ikon - line of plate cameras. It was closer to what would be called a Field Camera today. It had more movements - front and back tilt, a drop bed, , more bellows extension - triple, not double extension bellows, double focus tracks, interchangeable lenses, a rotating back, its own pop-off mounting system for film backs, etc.

The 13x18 version was supposedly Ansel Adams favorite camera, though that may be just a story. In any case the Juwel is uncommon, at least in the US. Linhof took over this part of the market after WWII.

I have a 9x12 version, thats mostly there, though there are some pieces missing (bed latch, brilliant finder, wire frame finder). The big problem is that it is also missing the entire left support strut and the plate it attaches to. I have no idea why this is missing. It works just fine with just the right strut, though it would probably not be safely usable if the tripod were screwed to the bed instead of the case. Thats not going to be easy to fix, though I think if I worked hard at it I could fabricate a replacement plate and strut system from brass. I do have the proper 15cm Tessar that was the standard lens on this model, and it shouldn't be too hard to make the mount for it. A bigger problem though not impossible would be to make a back adapter, as Juwel film backs would be impossible to find.

Or I might just sell it.

Triple extension -

Double focus tracks -

Drop bed and back tilt -

Front tilt -

Interchangeable lens mount -

Rotating back

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like an interesting camera!
Not my cup of tea to make pictures, but very extended possibilities.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting indeed congrats!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis, do you still have this camera?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sent you a PM.