Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IBIS on A7ii - does it justify the upgrade from A7i?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: IBIS on A7ii - does it justify the upgrade from A7i? Reply with quote

Hi, all,

Since more than a year now I use my small legacy lens collection on a Sony A7 (M1), and I like the shooting experience very much. I often shoot handheld close-up and macro, using viewfinder magnification to get critical sharpness, but especially with longer / heavier lenses and 11x magnification I can hardly keep the detail I'm focusing on in view - my viewfinder image is just not stable enough.

I know that the IBIS of the A7 M2 helps stabilize the viewfinder image, but to what extent I do not know. The shorter exposure times of the A7ii thanks to IBIS may be an additional benefit, but my main reason to fork out a substantial amount to switch from A7i to A7ii would be a stabler viewfinder image.

Anybody made the switch from A7i to A7ii and got experience and opinions on this subject?

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the switch and find the IBIS very useful for telephoto lenses and zooms. It does seem to work a lot better both in viewing and in taking shots at lower speeds.

However, what I miss about the A7 is its smaller, more compact form factor. Despite the fact that many say all the A7 cameras are too small, I find the A7ii too a bit too big except when shooting with longer lenses. Still, I keep it because I want the ability to handhold during travel as I don't like lugging a tripod or even monopod around when flying. The extra controls are nice too.

So if you feel you need IBIS, then yes, it's worth the upgrade. If you mostly shoot at 90mm and shorter and don't do a lot of night pics, or pics in low light, I'd say stick to the A7 if you like a lighter kit.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: IBIS on A7ii - does it justify the upgrade from A7i? Reply with quote

bobcominitaly wrote:
...but to what extent I do not know...

IBIS = You get two steps of value at least, maybe some more, in the viewfinder and sensor.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: IBIS on A7ii - does it justify the upgrade from A7i? Reply with quote

bobcominitaly wrote:
Hi, all,

Since more than a year now I use my small legacy lens collection on a Sony A7 (M1), and I like the shooting experience very much. I often shoot handheld close-up and macro, using viewfinder magnification to get critical sharpness, but especially with longer / heavier lenses and 11x magnification I can hardly keep the detail I'm focusing on in view - my viewfinder image is just not stable enough.

I know that the IBIS of the A7 M2 helps stabilize the viewfinder image, but to what extent I do not know. The shorter exposure times of the A7ii thanks to IBIS may be an additional benefit, but my main reason to fork out a substantial amount to switch from A7i to A7ii would be a stabler viewfinder image.

Anybody made the switch from A7i to A7ii and got experience and opinions on this subject?

Image stabilisation is good, but bear in mind that when using telephoto lenses, you might want faster, not the slower shutter speeds which IBIS enables, if you are to avoid some of the problems shooting over long distances can give you - thermal 'wobble' and such.

I'm sure I've read somewhere from a well known lens commentator (well known on the scene I beleive) that after carrying out testing, he has found that faster shutter speeds cut down on haze, although for the life of me I can't remember the gentleman's name or how he came to that conclusion. Maybe someone on here will know, or correct me if I'm wrong. I'm writing off the top of my head.

From what you describe, this point I make is moot, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. And I'm guessing you can switch IBIS off when shooting on a program mode on the 7ii if you need.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does IBIS help for manual focusing when doing macro work ?

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I want to know too - especially at close quarters and with longer lenses my viewfinder image is fairly shaky. I'm still thinking about upgrading from A7i to A7ii, but A7Rii or A7iii are also options: A7Rii in case I'd want every bit of detail from my lens and a lot of cropping potential, A7iii if I'd want the extra bit of low light potential from the new sensor.

I've been discussing this question lately in this topic on dpreview (https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61177881), and I think I'll be going for the extra €€ and ounces the A7ii brings in. A7Rii would be overkill - at least with the lenses I can afford, and I'd rather invest the extra €600 an A7rii would cost in some good glass - which of course would be another justification for an A7Rii Rolling Eyes. A7iii is out of the question, unless I'd win the lottery of course - but even that wouldn't make the camera smaller and lighter.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

willy35 wrote:
Does IBIS help for manual focusing when doing macro work ?

Handheld? Big benefits are not likely.

Due to how close your subject to the lens, slightest movement causes huge swings inside lens FOV.
Even the filmsiest tripod/monopod will probably provide better results.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep handheld when doing macro 1:1 it is vey shacky, I get use to it, but it is a pain sometime.

bobcominitaly I am in the exact same position as you upgrading my a7i to ... A7ii or A7RII still thinking

Maybe an other option is to wait next 5 years to get an A7III at $600.