Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I joined the J-6 club :) (new toy: Jupiter-6)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: I joined the J-6 club :) (new toy: Jupiter-6) Reply with quote

Hi colleagues! I haven't been here for years... Embarassed
Some time ago I bought another old tool - Jupiter-6 (CZJ "Olympia" Sonnar copy). I paid ~100 € for whole set: lens, M39/M42 ring, original yellow filter and shipping. I think that was good price! I'm surprised by this lens. It's pretty sharp - even at F/2.8. I have nothing to say - simply look at the pictures which I took today morning Cool I didn't use the tripod - the weight of the lens stabilizes itself. I'll post more photos soon!

F/2.8:

100% crop:

bokeh at F/2.8 is very creamy:

F/4:

F/5.6:

I have one small problem... I can't screw the lens as deep as other M42 lenses. The lens doesn't reach infinity (maximum focus distance is ~40 meters) and tripod mount is wrong placed:

By the way: my fingers are my AF, my hands are my tripod, my legs are my zoom Cool

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice grab , great samples! Congrats!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Attila! I really love this lens.
I'm curious whether somebody have ever seen J-6 with "normal" serial number? All copies which I know have "000###" or "00####" numbers. So... all J-6s are preseries copies?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: I joined the J-6 club :) (new toy: Jupiter-6) Reply with quote

Maxim wrote:

I have one small problem... I can't screw the lens as deep as other M42 lenses. The lens doesn't reach infinity (maximum focus distance is ~40 meters) and tripod mount is wrong placed:

It probably is a problem with the m39-m42 ring. Sometimes I had to use some oil spray to screw the ring well in seat so it could fit into the m42 adapter till the end.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxim wrote:
Thanks, Attila! I really love this lens.
I'm curious whether somebody have ever seen J-6 with "normal" serial number? All copies which I know have "000###" or "00####" numbers. So... all J-6s are preseries copies?

Some dedicated copy that for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Hubert, welcome back, long time no see! Lovely lens. it's a pity you have to use the camera upside down on a tripod! Wink

Where's the bike?

Szczęśliwe Boże Narodzenie!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alessandro - I must check it... maybe this is the cause of the problem. Maybe I must use another ring. We'll see Smile

Attila - maybe the ЮПИТЕР-6 was too expensive to enter the mass production (at those times)? But I've seen the ЮПИТЕР-6-2 with normal serial numbers.

Peterqd - thank you so much, that was nice. You can also simply say: "Wesołych Świąt" which means exactly "Merry Christmas". My bike is in the garage, because the weather isn't the best Cool

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard 00 either of prototype or made for communist party leaders.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking to buy Jupiter 6, but newer version - black, M42 mount. The buyer wants me to pay $260 including shipping and insurance. I have already Sonnars, several copies including outstanding zebra , Olympia and 2.8/200. What do you thing. I would buy older version immediately in this price but I am not sure about black one. I made decision not to buy more lens because it turns me to addiction Embarassed, but....

Last edited by voytek on Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$260 for a J6-2 delivered is a grab (it's a heavy lens by the way). The going rate is about $300 plus shipping for a good copy.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for response but I am thinking rather about performance of the lens not about "street" price.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

((DELETED - that was uncalled for, Sir, sorry for my comments!))

Aside from that, the pictures look quite nice and 3D! Does anyone know how that that compares to the Contax Sonnar 180mm lens??

Last edited by kds315* on Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Your question was obviously about the price and not the quality of that lens,
so why do you wonder about the response you got? precise question => precise answer.

Aside from that, the pictures look quite nice and 3D! Does anyone know how that that compares to the Contax Sonnar 180mm lens??

Yes, you are right. I apologize for any inconvenience, Sir.
I will try all my best in the future, Sir.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: I joined the J-6 club :) (new toy: Jupiter-6) Reply with quote

A G Photography wrote:
Maxim wrote:

It probably is a problem with the m39-m42 ring. Sometimes I had to use some oil spray to screw the ring well in seat so it could fit into the m42 adapter till the end.

Its discussed at this forum multiple times. M39 mount lenses can not reach to infinity. Thats why, all these great Silver beauties have problems of infinity)...

These M39 mount lenses has protruded ring like structure which stops the base of lens touching the camera mount.

There is a solution for that (I am using mine M39 mounts like that). You need to file the M42 adapter internally (the threads) so that the ring like structure can go inside the adapter. you need to file almost 1 mm deep and increase the diameter by almost 2-3mm.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be a bit careful with that saying. First let's make sure that you mean M39 lens = leica thread mount (LTM) lens which is M39 x 1/26".
Secondly, not all M39 lenses were made for Leica (i.e. LTM register distance of 28.8mm which ius much shorter than the M42 register of 45.5mm)! So from what I know, there have been a few lenses (russian for instance), which had M39 thread mount, but a much longer register distance than LTM lenses!

I have a few older Paxette lenses here, which have M39x1 thread mount, but a register of 44mm (which nearly is M42 register). So that one just does not focus to infinty.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
First let's make sure that you mean M39 lens = leica thread mount (LTM) lens which is M39 x 1/26".

M39 as used in this thread means 39x1 mm; i.e. M39<>LTM. The early Zenits used this as a mount with a register of 45.2 mm. Although only 0.3 mm shorter than the normal M42 register it means that you can't get infinity with one of the early silver M39 lenses when used on an M42 (or equivalent) camera.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that perfectly explains it!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voytek wrote:
Thank you for response but I am thinking rather about performance of the lens not about "street" price.

I have a CZJ 180/2.8 'zebra' to compare J6-2 to. Both lenses are single-coated. The Jena comes with a hood; I put one onto Jupiter as well. Having done that, it's really hard to pinpoint the differences in performance between the two lenses. The Zeiss is maybe a bit sharper wide open, but veils a bit more than the Jupiter when shooting towards the sun (both lense handle flare pretty well, btw). Jupiter has a weird-looking diaphragm when stopped down (it's similar in shape to Helios-40), which makes its bokeh a bit busy f/4 to f/8. J6 is heavier than the zebra. J6 is a pre-set lens while CZJ features semi-automatic diaphragm (must be cocked before shooting if you want to focus wide-open). J6 takes 77mm filters, CZJ 86mm ones. My copy of Jupiter-6-2 focuses smoother than my copy of CZJ 180/2.8. It's hard to tell which lens I like better.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much aoleg