Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I bought a camera bag today for $69 -
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: I bought a camera bag today for $69 - Reply with quote

- plus tax @ a pawn shop. It had a few items in it like a Minolta camera with 50/1.7 lens, a Vivitar 135/2.8, a Vivitar 28/2.5, a Braun flash & assorted bits & pieces for a film camera. The 135 & 28 are like new & the 50 sows minimal wear on the body. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice haul. If you didn't have a Minolta outfit before this purchase, you do now. That 28/2.5 is made by Kiron, I'm pretty sure. Either them or Komine. So that's a good lens. So's the 135mm most likely.

Never see a Braun flash like that before. I actually own a couple of F900s -- huge monsters that use a bracket. That one of yours looks like it will use a bracket also. Did it come with the flash? I like Braun flashes. They tend to be quite powerful. My F900s have a guide number of 200 (ft), or (not sure about the conversion) 61 (m)?. (I just divided 200 by 3.28 )

Pretty spiffy looking 70's vintage bag too Cool

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is that vivitar 135mm close focus one or just a regular telephoto?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 135 is Komine & the 28 is indeed Kiron. The flash has a bracket with it but no Manual. I see it has a slave setting so it may be useful with my G1 in that regard. I just have to figure out how it works.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:

Minimum focus is 1.4m/4.5'.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

revers wrote:
WolverineX wrote:

Minimum focus is 1.4m/4.5'.

close focus version has close focusing written on the front ring plate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

revers wrote:
The 135 is Komine & the 28 is indeed Kiron. The flash has a bracket with it but no Manual. I see it has a slave setting so it may be useful with my G1 in that regard. I just have to figure out how it works.

Well, you've got two great Vivitars, then. And the SRT-101 just about defines the term "workhorse." Great old camera. I've owned a few from back in my camera dealer days, and I've used them on occasion, typically when I also acquired an interesting Minolta lens. I found them fun to use. Remind me a lot of Canon's FTb, or a Nikkormat FTN/FT2, Pentax KX, etc.

Interesting that your Braun has a slave setting. If I were you I'd google the model number for a pdf of a manual. Or Butkus might have one.

Chances are, when set to slave, that front sensor detects the flash from another strobe, then trips the Braun. Only problem with using it with newer cameras is their flashes will often emit one or more pre-flashes to determine distance and exposure, and these pre-flashes will often trip a regular slave flash. You can buy slave accessories that will detect these pre-flashes and then trip the flash when it's supposed to go, but that sort of defeats the slave setting on your flash, eh?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Minolta + 50 is excellent - and I'm a new Minolta convert. On my 201 with modern battery I find the metering is OK in lower light, but when I get into sunny 16 territory it starts to be over enthusiastic - if I follow the meter's instructions I end up with under exposed film! That 101 looks to be in beautiful shape, and the MC is nice & solid. Great kit!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 28mm is big and heavy, but good. Definitely worthwhile hauling it around, just get a hood for it. I managed to find a metal Vivitar one on ebay years ago that seems to be originally for the lens or maybe the 19mm lens. Of course, a rubber one is good enough Cool

You could probably turn around and sell the bag alone on Etsy.com for $69 Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a few test shots with the 28 & 135 all wide open.

1. 28 wide open.

2. 135 wide open.

3. 135 wide open.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang impressive! Were you using the camera's meter?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Dang impressive! Were you using the camera's meter?

Yes, nearly always, it works fine with adapted lenses. In case there is some confusion, I am using them on a Panasonic G1.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice pics, great bargain!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that Rokkor is no slouch.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
I'm sure that Rokkor is no slouch.

Laf, no its not, but I already have the same camera & lens, I bought for the other two.

Here are some shots taken with a Rokkor 50/1.7 on tubes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I misspoke in the previous post, the lens I had already was a 55/1.7 & that is what took the pics above. Embarassed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice haul and a really nice bag. I don't know about padding etc. but it looks so much better than the modern Lowepro gear.

Great sample pics as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yebisu wrote:
Nice haul and a really nice bag. I don't know about padding etc. but it looks so much better than the modern Lowepro gear.

Great sample pics as well.

We are packing for a trip & I decided to use this bag over the other three I have because of all the pockets. The interior is padded. The retro look is fitting with a couple geriatrics. Wink