Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How to test automatic Exakta lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: How to test automatic Exakta lens? Reply with quote

I have purchased recently Steinheil-Munchen Auto-Quinar 135/2.8 lens to use on Canon 5D camera and I am very pleased with its performance wide open. However, no matter what I try I cannot stop down the diaphragm. It's the one shown on this picture on the right:

Any ideas how to make the diaphragm to close without having an actual Exakta camera? Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Press the lens-side knob. That is all that is to Exakta aperture automation - a lever or knob to the left (from rear) of the lens that hovers over the camera trigger so that the aperture gets actuated before the trigger is hit.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need for a camera to close the diaphragm. If the diaphragm does not close when pushing the knob, the lens is ready for a service...

Klaus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure it is an automatic lens ?maybe it is a preset or semi automatic.. Dos it have an aperature ring which can be pushed/pulled?

Also this knob near the bayonet can you push and/or turn ?

I've seen 4 types of exakta lenses

- manual ones - just an aperature ring

- preset with no knob - you pull the aperature ring and rotate it to set aperature.

- semi automatic - there is a special lever which you need to 'cock' and then when you push the knob the aperature closes. To open it need to cock it again.

- automatic - the aperature closes/opens when you push/release the knob. if you want to lock the aperature the knob needs to be turned while pushed.

A picture of your lens will help. can you post one.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's certainly a fully automatic lens, as confirmed by this site: http://captjack.exaktaphile.com/Steinheil%20page.htm

And nothing happens regardless of what I push, pull, rotate, etc... What a bummer! I'll try to contact the seller and get it shipped back.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you press the release button - the circular plunger on the "arm" - and hold it down while moving the adjacent rectangular "switch", you should find that the iris is converted to manual operation and will close and open as you turn the aperture ring on the lens body. That might make metering a little easier.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the aperture does not close at all. I think the linkage inside the arm is broken.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is quite common for Steinheil lenses of this vintage to have stuck aperture problem, most commonly seen with chrome automatic exakta lenses. I am afraid the lens has to be opened up and clean the aperture blades before normal operation can be obtained.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens is going back, but I will try to find another one like this. I really like its colors and overall rendering!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pirius wrote:
The lens is going back, but I will try to find another one like this. I really like its colors and overall rendering!

You're right. It is a very, very good lens !