Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How many versions of the Pentacon auto 1.8/50 are there?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: How many versions of the Pentacon auto 1.8/50 are there? Reply with quote

I am curious after receiving my 2nd Pentacon auto 1.8/50 lens...do we know how many different versions are out there?
My latest version has the little Pentacon symbol on the front name plate as well as the Pentacon name,no MC coating and the mount end has the zebra look of my Helios.The blades are a lot more fancier and it has a funny little plastic push button to close the aperture(I assume its an A/M or preset button). I will post some images tomorrow.
It needs a clean as the blades are slow and the inside front glass looks oily / hazy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 3: yours is the first, a rebranded Meyer Oreston. The next models had multi-coating (yours is single coated)
Also: the next models have an auto/manual switch.

Generations of the Pentacon by TrueLoveOne, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the Pentacon Electric MC 1.8/50 count as a different version? If so, there are at least 4 versions.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
Does the Pentacon Electric MC 1.8/50 count as a different version? If so, there are at least 4 versions.

I think yes and this lens labelled to another vendors also like Revuenon and I remember for another strange one, but not come into my mind.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also MC version with thin focus ring - 3 rows of knurls instead of 5.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure there are single coated versions with all black finish (no light aperture ring)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's all true. I have them all. But the differences are merely cosmetical. Optics are the same since they got the multi-coating.

Pentacon 1.8/50 electric by TrueLoveOne, on Flickr

Rebranded lenses 1 by TrueLoveOne, on Flickr

And indeed, there's one "first version" completely black, and one with the single "zebra" striped ring.
There is a Meyer Oreston that looks exactly like the OP's Pentacon, just with different nametag.

And this is the original, the Meyer Oreston:

Meyer Optik Oreston by TrueLoveOne, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
skida wrote:

I think yes and this lens labelled to another vendors also like Revuenon and I remember for another strange one, but not come into my mind.

Pentaflex maybe.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, indeed and probably one more with interesting colored label, but I am not sure.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not mind if you took the time and posted the different cosmetic variations of this lens here.

#4 Back view of the blades

#5 front view of the blades

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the other version note the serial number for this lens is on the side.... 7828422

#4 Front view of blades

#5 mount view of blades

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

German Democratic Republic fully written on label, wow that is odd variant! It must have been a patriotic year Smile.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love a good pentacon. I've had all three, love em all the same (can't determine any difference you see :p). They are big, quick, just like em. I too haven't seen that name plate with it spelt out... Oh ebaaaaaay :p