Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How it different about Jupiter8 Red n and without Red n.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: How it different about Jupiter8 Red n and without Red n. Reply with quote

Hi I have a chance to test all lens in one day only.I take picture in same codition on tripod.

OMD EM1 - F2

OMD EM1 - F4

OMD EM1 - F2

OMD EM1 - F4

GX7 - F2

GX7 - F4

Sony A7 - F2

Sony A7 - F4

But I think not enough to compare about two lens.
Please help me. I need more information about red n and no red n. How it different in your opinion.
Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the serial numbres, your J8s are from two different generations. This video explores the differences between the various era's of this lens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=582ngTtkr94

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, the image from both is really similar. The red "P" means just a type of coating while the optical formula remains the same. The variations might be more visible from one copy to another. After some date the "P" is no more indicated on the front ring because all the Jupiters are single coated.

What you may have in a clear difference is the aperture type. Your red "P" lens comes from the 1957, the aperture ring has a continuos march and no clicks while the aperture blades form something closer to a circle when closed down. Is it the same for the other one which comes from the 1968, without the red "P"? Later J-8 have full-stop and clicked aperture ring, while the aperture blades form a kind of rounded "star" when stopped down.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really a Cyrillic 'P', not an 'N', but who's keeping score. When the Soviets grabbed the Zeiss lenses, parts, machinery, data and workers after WWII the J-8 (and J-3, J-9 J-11 and all the others) were marked with the red 'P' to show that they were multi-coated. Most lenses in the post war period were single coated so those with a multi-coating were marked accordingly.

Eventually, I believe in the late 1960s but don't quote me on that, all the lenses were being produced with multi-coatings and the red 'P' was superfluous. It was just dropped, but the lenses produced at that time would have been identical to the red "P" lenses produced the year before. In time, as better coatings were produced, there would be a difference between the newer and older lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The red P does not mean multicoated, but coated (single). It was to make differences with pre-war non-coated lenses. They stopped it in early 60's. Date looks to differ regarding to lenses and factory. I know for sure that they stopped the P on helios-40 during 1961 year.

They started the use of multicoating in late 70's -80's (with Helios 44m, Jupiter 37, etc...). Thoses lenses are marked MC (on some Jupiter-9 and Helios-77, you can find it wrongly written "MS".

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:
The red P does not mean multicoated, but coated (single). It was to make differences with pre-war non-coated lenses. They stopped it in early 60's. Date looks to differ regarding to lenses and factory. I know for sure that they stopped the P on helios-40 during 1961 year.

They started the use of multicoating in late 70's -80's (with Helios 44m, Jupiter 37, etc...). Thoses lenses are marked MC (on some Jupiter-9 and Helios-77, you can find it wrongly written "MS".

Thank you, I appreciate the correction.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you every comment.