Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How I chose adapters for the NEX
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: How I chose adapters for the NEX Reply with quote

I've done a lot of research on adapters for the NEX system. Here's how I chose and why:

It took me a long time to figure out which adapters to buy for my lenses. I decided that I would not buy any no-name adapters. I'm fond of my lenses and some of them are rather expensive so I don't want to take any risks.

I chose Novoflex for the following lens mounts:
- Minolta MC/MD
- Contax C/Y
- Canon FD
- Leica R
- M42
- Olympus OM
- Pentax K
The cost is high but the quality is excellent and I can use the Novoflex ASTAT-NEX tripod collar with all of these adapters.

Contax G:
Metabones - Best quality but rather large and heavy. I found a used one cheap, otherwise I might have chosen a Kipon.

X-Fujinon
Kiwifotos - The only one available.

Nikon F:
Kiwifotos - Found a couple of favourable reviews and it is inexpensive. I would have bought a Novoflex but they don't have one without the aperture mechanism. There is a very nice but expensive Voigtländer adapter available but I decided to save money on this one, especially since you cannot use the ASTAT-NEX tripod collar on the Voigtländer.

Olympus PEN-F:
Kiwifotos - Inexpensive and one of very few branded adapters available (no Novoflex or Voigtländer yet). I could have bought the Fotodiox as well.

Leica-M:
Hawk's v2 - Good quality with helicoid (quasi macro), it is expensive but worth the cost I think. Did not want to buy clones especially as the lenses tend to be expensive, I do not want to take any chances.

Minolta/Sony AF:
Sony LA-EA1 - Can be had for a good price right now, much less expensive than the LA-EA2 and no light transmission loss. AF works with SSM and SAM lenses with the LA-EA1 (AF does work on all a-mount lenses with the LA-EA2 and better too but at a significant cost).

Last edited by Pontus on Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:01 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got about a dozen NEX adapters, all from China, cheap ones, and they are all really good, not had an issue with any of them.

I have the Kiwifotos Fujinon-X one and the quality is identical to the unbranded ones, probably came out of the same factory in China.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't had problems with cheap chinese adapters.. except for Konica AR, Fotga was the only one which is tight enough with all my AR lenses. I had big_is and two similar looking adapters, all was too loose either on NEX or lense side.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting, I've got a few big is adapters and not had that problem.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree that the Novoflex adapters probably are overkill but on the other hand I don't find them that expensive. The ones I decided to buy are about 110 euros each on average if bought from Germany. Kipon/Metabones/Voigtlander/Sony/Hawk's are all in the same price range or even more expensive.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, 110 euros. I think I paid 15-20 each for the cheap ones.

The EOS one I got feels a bit light but works good, the Praktica PB and Contax/Yashica ones are heavy and feel real quality.

Then again, I don't have any really expenses lenses to worry about.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Wow, 110 euros. I think I paid 15-20 each for the cheap ones.

I do know how cheap the cheap adapters are. I'm just saying that I'm willing to pay extra price for the piece of mind and the fact that I can use the ASTAT-NEX tripod collar which mounts directly on my Arca Swiss compatible ball head.

I feel good about owning the very best, you feel good about saving money and still having a good and working product.

We all have different priorities, and that is perfectly fine.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
That's interesting, I've got a few big is adapters and not had that problem.

for Konica? Only had problems with big_is with Konica AR adapters..

Pontus wrote:
Kipon/Metabones/Voigtlander/Sony/Hawk's are all in the same price range or even more expensive.

I paid 75 Euro for a Metabones Leica M adapter.. if you compare the quality with cheap adapters.. it's worth to spend more. Not sure if I always would pay over 100 Euro for a Novoflex, but Pontus has a point: you can use them with the Novoflex ASTAT-NEX tripod collar and this one is so much better then those tiny collars you have integrated at some adapters which in my eyes are completely useless.

And sometimes you just have no choice because there is only one adapter avaible (like for xFuji), for DKL2NEX I would spend even more then 100 to keep the beauty of this lenses if I could get one like this: Click here to see on Ebay

The DKL2NEX adapters are ugly and thats a shame Sad

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have two AR-NEX adapters, not had a problem with either.

To me, machined aluminium is machined aluminium, I could understand if the cheap ones had issues, but honestly, I can't fault any of the ones I have.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received the Kiwifotos LMA-FJ.EM adapter for X-Fujinon mount and the Kiwifotos LMA-PEN.EM for Zuiko PEN-F mount.

The X-Fujinon adapter fits well and focuses spot on at infinity with my EBC X-Fujinon 50/1.6 but there is a problem (I think). I can't change aperture, the lens is stuck fully open. When I hold the lens in my hand without camera and adapter I can change aperture by turning the aperture ring while sliding a small lever half a centimeter. Shouldn't the adapter be constructed so that the lever goes into the right position when the lens is mounted? Do I really have to modify the lens (fix the lever in the right position somehow)?

The PEN-F adapter is way too tight. I can barely attach my 40/1.2 to the adapter but the fit is so tight that I'm afraid to break the lens when I attach or detach the lens to the adapter. I have to apply way too much force. With the 60/1.5 it gets worse, I haven't dared attach the lens to the adapter because I'm sure something would give in.

I'm not too happy right now.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use cheap Chinese ones, no serious issue.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:
I do agree that the Novoflex adapters probably are overkill but on the other hand I don't find them that expensive. The ones I decided to buy are about 110 euros each on average if bought from Germany. Kipon/Metabones/Voigtlander/Sony/Hawk's are all in the same price range or even more expensive.

I don't know where you bought your adapters. I found a local KIPON dealer nearby (20km away) and I am very satiesfied with the quality and the mount. And btw with the service of this dealer.

For example see problems with Konica lenses in one post above. I paid for my different KIPON adapters between 40 and 50 €, only the Contax G adapter was around 90 € but that was ok because all Contax G adapters are more complicated and double in price.

And I´m pretty sure that Novoflex will manufacture their adapters not by themselves.

Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed today that the Kiwifotos PEN-F adapter does not allow aperture setting either. I have to push a button on the lens in order for the aperture to work. Are there any adapters available that will make the lenses aperture mechanisms work as they should?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: My Kiwifotos adapter for PEN-F now fits perfectly. I unscrewed the three small screws and the shiny ring came loose. I used a diamond file to remove a very slight amount of metal and now the fit is just right. Shouldn't have needed to do this on a brand new adapter though.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you were just unlucky there, not had any problems with any of my cheap adapters.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received my Pen-F to Nex adapter today and seem to have suffered the opposite problem to the one described here i.e. the bayonet is too loose, meaning that the locking pin doesn't work Sad I guess this is why some of the adapters are very tight...the locking pin only extends by about 1mm Shocked Or is just my lens?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
I received my Pen-F to Nex adapter today and seem to have suffered the opposite problem to the one described here i.e. the bayonet is too loose, meaning that the locking pin doesn't work Sad I guess this is why some of the adapters are very tight...the locking pin only extends by about 1mm Shocked Or is just my lens?

Sorry to hear about your adapter, which brand is it? The locking pin should extend very little, so there isn't much of a margin for error.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Pentax DA - Nex Reply with quote

Do you guys know any good and affordable Pentax DA to NEX adapter?
I have my two kit zoom from my last d20 and I'd like to try them on the NEX3

Or for Minolta AF?

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:
Pontus wrote:

I don't know where you bought your adapters. I found a local KIPON dealer nearby (20km away) and I am very satiesfied with the quality and the mount. And btw with the service of this dealer.

For example see problems with Konica lenses in one post above. I paid for my different KIPON adapters between 40 and 50 €, only the Contax G adapter was around 90 € but that was ok because all Contax G adapters are more complicated and double in price.

And I´m pretty sure that Novoflex will manufacture their adapters not by themselves.

Wink

Hi Rolf,

do they have a website/ebay account? i've only had good experience with Kipon products and i'm looking for a C/Y - NEX adapter for my nex7

Thanks mate!
Hari

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a C/Y-NEX adapter sat here I only used once, Optix brand, worked great for me.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I've got a C/Y-NEX adapter sat here I only used once, Optix brand, worked great for me.

Thanks for the tip Ian, I'll search for this one too

I usually buy a few cheap adapters from different manufacturers and put them to work. If any of the cheap ones work well, I keep them.

For my M -> nex, I did buy Novoflex adapters though. Not taking a chance.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is that all my adapters had to be shimmed for infinity.

Depending om the locking system it's wise to invest in a more expensive adapter, or not.

An M mount adapter has a simple pin which locks the lens.
Easy to make well.

Minolta has a sort of claw though which if not engineered or finished properly can cause problems.
So for the M I use a cheap brand and for Minolta a Novoflex.

For my Contax lenses I'll get a Novoflex I think.
Just so I can use the tripod adapter for tele's on both systems.

It'll probably need shimming as well though Sad

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I cam buy a plain M42-NEX adapter without the flange that pushes the pin?

All the adapters on eBay seem to have this flange, and for me they are a problem. They don't accommodate Pentax S-M-C lenses properly - the aperture lever jams on the flange, stopping the lens screwing fully home and preventing any aperture adjustment. I prefer to set the A-M switch to Manual, which obviates the flange.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Does anyone know where I cam buy a plain M42-NEX adapter without the flange that pushes the pin?

All the adapters on eBay seem to have this flange, and for me they are a problem. They don't accommodate Pentax S-M-C lenses properly - the aperture lever jams on the flange, stopping the lens screwing fully home and preventing any aperture adjustment. I prefer to set the A-M switch to Manual, which obviates the flange.

Peter, if you have a pK-NEX adapter then you can actually buy an M42-Pk adapter. There is one available without the flange which I bought and it is working great for me.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M42-Lens-all-Pentax-PK-K-mount-adapter-ring-K-01-K20D-K200D-K-7-K-M-K-5-/251003198683?pt=UK_Photography_CameraLenses_Lens_caps_hoods_adaptors_ET&hash=item3a70f4dcdb#ht_500wt_1180

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhargav wrote:
peterqd wrote:

Peter, if you have a pK-NEX adapter then you can actually buy an M42-Pk adapter. There is one available without the flange which I bought and it is working great for me.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M42-Lens-all-Pentax-PK-K-mount-adapter-ring-K-01-K20D-K200D-K-7-K-M-K-5-/251003198683?pt=UK_Photography_CameraLenses_Lens_caps_hoods_adaptors_ET&hash=item3a70f4dcdb#ht_500wt_1180

Great idea bhargay, I didn't think of that. I left my PK-NEX adapter at home, I only have the MD-Nex with me here, but I could use an M42-MD adapter with it. Thanks for that great idea! I didn't expect to need one as I didn't bring any M42 lenses with me, but my son has presented me with a mint S-M-C Takumar 3.5/35 which I'd love to try before we go home.