Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Home Processing Colour Film- Best Kit?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Home Processing Colour Film- Best Kit? Reply with quote

I am considering running some colour film at home. I'm very experienced with black and white but haven't developed color since the '80's, and that was in a full-on darkroom.

I suspect C-41 is easier/less complicated that E-6?

What kits are you using? Is it costly?

I hope to run maybe 4 rolls of 220 at a time.

I know Rawhead runs his own colour. Anyone else?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using Tetenal C-41 expired ones LOL , cost is 20 cents / roll.
Developing time is 10 -12 minutes + one night for dry.

With expired developer need to care sulfit removal before dry strips.

http://forum.mflenses.com/ricohflex-fuji-s160-pro-awesome-t36399.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/welta-6x6-and-6x4-5cm-schenider-kreuznach-xenar-7-5cm-f2-8-t36432.html

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88447

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also interested in it, because commercial developing is getting more and more expensive. I don't shoot much color, so my main concern is the shelf live of the kits once opened...

Javier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One litre kit available which is good for 10-20 rolls.

I keep in fridge 5L kit and make 0,5 L mix, which is usable up to 2 months and it has 10-12 35mm roll capacity.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the US, it used to be that E6 is cheaper per roll when using Kodak E-6 5L kit. Now that's been discontinued, and it seems Tetenal E6, when it's made available through B&H, would be the cheapest E6 option, still costing 50% more per roll than Kodak E6. It will become about the same per roll to develop E6 as C-41.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/c41-diy-t36469.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do BW you can do color too. Just use the same great care Smile .
There's really not much difference between E6 and C-41, just one more step for E-6. E-6 is considered a more critical job because it leads to a finished product, the slide. If it's just not perfect ain't a keeper (unless you need it only for scan and post process). The negative being just an intermediate product gives space to play for correction in digital post process or in darkroom. All in all, C-41 or E-61, if you do it with great care and passion can lead to great satisfaction. Money wise, the key to make it really worth is to use the chemicals to full capacity even if that means to keep a bit longer the exposed rolls until you have the number to fill the capacity of the kit.

Cheers, M.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a couple of things to add to the excellent Attila's summary:
I use a couple of minutes pre wash with 38°C water to warm up the tank and the film. Should reduce thermal shock and preparing the emulsion to absorb more evenly the developer.
I dilute the stabilizer with distilled water, this helps to avoid drying marks.

Cheers, M.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila, thanks for the great links! And everyone, thanks for the good info. Not sure if I'll do it, but if funds stay tight, I'm sure I will!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried the Rollei Digibase C41 which is re-branded Fuji Hunt i guess.

http://www.macodirect.de/chemistry-rollei-c-416_404_534.html

it's a 4 bath kit

1. developer (a+b+c+starter)
2. bleacher
3. fix
4. stabilizer

Quite nice chemistry and it's available in large liter bottles also.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to all for sharing your experience. The Digibase C41 looks interesting, as you can mix just the amount you are going to use. In the propect they say "extremely long shelf life". Do you know how much is this for the unmixed components?. Thanks

Javier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't tried it yet on a big bottles.. i was using small kit and haven't kept it opened for long time. I guess if you keep the bottles with concentrate closed and with no air inside (to avoid oxidation) it should be good for 1-2 years at least.

I'm thinking to get some bottles from it. The quantity should be good for around 40 dev tanks of 250 ml. (1-3 films each)

1 x Rollei DIGIBASE C-41 (A)
Colour Developer Part A 1000ml
1 x Rollei DIGIBASE C-41 (B)
Colour Developer Part B 1000ml
1 x Rollei DIGIBASE C-41 (C)
Colour Developer Part C 1000ml
1 x Rollei DIGIBASE C-41 (D)
Colour Developer Starter 100ml

3 x Rollei DIGIBASE C-41 (E)
Bleacher 1000ml

2 x Rollei DIGIBASE C-41 (F)
Fixer 1000ml

3 x Rollei DIGIBASE C-41 (G)
Stabilizer 100ml

116,95EUR + the shipping. Not a bad for the quantity i think.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!!. Yes, with the prices I have to pay now, it is a big saving.

Javier

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Developer tank is good for any kind of development ,you need to buy only proper developer for color film and slide and keep temperature more precise.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can cross-process e-6 slides in c41 chemistry. The resulting colors are funny.

Initially the film looks only green - but when you scan it you see the colors.