Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hitachi projector lens on NEX-3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Hitachi projector lens on NEX-3 Reply with quote

This thing has impressive specs:

f1.7-2.4/20-31.9mm 1.6x zoom

16 elements in 12 groups

Super Focus aspherical element

4 ED ultra-low dispersion elements

10-step iris, 6 blades

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens itself:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems pretty good!
Like seeing your reflection on the rear of the side view mirror.
Are you shooting at 31mm?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've got a nex 3 and two voightlander projection lenses from the Perkeo slide projector....how do you attach the lens to the camera?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, is it heavy?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive, well worth the effort. Is that a dead zoom lens that you've attached to the projector lens?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a macro helicoid.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
Looks like a macro helicoid.

Yes, of course it is. And I've got a few of those. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is indeed a macro teleconverter, I removed the glass to use the helicoid.

The lens is not heavy at all, while the elements are all glass, the barrel is plastic apart from the alloy zoom ring.

Mounting a projector lens is not hard, but there are many ways to do it. Have a look at some of the threads on the forum to get ideas, people have done it in many ways. At it's simplest, you need a mount and a tube. A body cap with a hole cut in it will do for a mount, the tube can be anything, even the inside of a toilet roll. Choose something your projector lens fits snugly inside so you can focus it by sliding and friction, you might have to get creative with sticky tape to increase the diameter of the lens barrel.

Here's a schema of the lens, the red is the aspheric element, the green are the Super ED elements. The dotted line is the iris.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a simple way of mounting slide projector type lenses:

ForenSeil wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Rear focus distance is about 25mm, not managed to find a suitable lens to adapt as a focusing mount for it yet so had to hold it against the body.

I also had a projection lens (made of plastic) and it was easy to saw of a part of tube to get a longer registration distance. So it was possible to make an M42 adapter. This may help you:

M42 mount

Good luck on making an adapter Smile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that looks simple..I've got a Canon FD adapter for the nex 3 and will play with that.
TA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FD adapter will make a suitable base. Your Perkeo lenses are probably around 46mm diameter on the back part of the barrel, you could try taping a cardboard tube onto the FD adpter that is a snug fit on the lens, then focus by sliding back and forth inside the tube, using friction to hold it in place.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
The FD adapter will make a suitable base. Your Perkeo lenses are probably around 46mm diameter on the back part of the barrel, you could try taping a cardboard tube onto the FD adpter that is a snug fit on the lens, then focus by sliding back and forth inside the tube, using friction to hold it in place.

Thanks...Just checked the throat of the FD adapter and is 48mm and the Talon 85mm f2.8 projector lens dia is 42mm...so a hunt around for a thick cardboard tube.
Interesting to compare with a FL 100mm.... are most projectors lenses triplets or less\more elements?

Last edited by Excalibur on Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:57 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a T mount with the inner bit removed, sink waste plastic pipe pushes into the T mount and can be held with tape or hot glue. The pipe is slightly bigger than the projector lens so wrap that with tape until it's a nice sliding fit inside the pipe - for focusing. And I have had to trim a bit off the back of the lens as Ian has shown above.
I've got a picture of this contraption mounted on my K10 but I can't find it at the moment.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Talon will be a triplet most likely, most of the cheaper projector lenses were triplets.

Projector lenses come in many designs, there are Petzvals, tessars, triplets, double gauss and others.