Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

High quality adapters - a market research by a serious firm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: High quality adapters - a market research by a serious firm Reply with quote

Hallo all,

I have a friend who is thinking of setting up a line of well made, low tolerance lens adapters.

He is based in Southern Europe in an area where precision machinery work is a common trade.

He is also a brilliant engineer who graduated with high grades from a serious university.

he is set up for either mass production or low quantity production, in a quite flexible way.

I would like to know what you would think of a series of carefully made adapters, which would have very low tolerances and which would be subject to a decent quality control.

He might set up his machines also for low series production, and his brother could also afford some dedicated conversion work by machining new bayonets for specific lenses, on special orders, to satisfy tinkerers and repairers with a separate line of work.

prices would be higher, than ordinary chinese stuff (surely decent and honest though) but the adapters would be classic european quality with a special attention to dedicated customers need and a focus on durability and smoothness of operation.

Relationship with customers would be very good, treasuring customers suggestions, with fast response times.

Last but not least he would like to know which would be the more useful ones, what you might feel could be seriously lacking as an offer by current makers, in sum which ones would be the better candidates for production, without leaving behind more exotic adapters that could be made in low series or on specific order.

Group orders might be welcome as well.

Pls consider that he is at a pre-alpha stage, as programmers use to say, so a survey with many suggestions, however expressed, is extremely important.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good Smile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know if you need someone to test the adapters as well as give suggestions for improving the design.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy to discuss from my engieering standpoint, as I have and had made a heck of adapters...

How would you like us to get in contact with him? Anonymous I can not allow as a moderator,
as I see the possibility that our collected knowledge might be abused... Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Happy to discuss from my engieering standpoint, as I have and had made a heck of adapters...

How would you like us to get in contact with him? Anonymous I can not allow as a moderator,

I can give you proof of my large and weighty existence .. see pm

As for helpers we will be glad to help back.

I'm giving you my official address as well, after clearance by moderator.

Ty for your answers in the meantime

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bghomofaber wrote:
kds315* wrote:

Oh it is YOU, that wasn't clear, I though it is your skilled friend!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
bghomofaber wrote:
kds315* wrote:

Oh it is YOU, that wasn't clear, I though it is your skilled friend!!

Well, I'm helping him with translation and other stuff like market research, firm his his own, it's a mechanic firm in the brescian area (the area of Italy where most weapons and hosiery machines are made, for example).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be cheaper ( like in way cheaper ) than Novoflex but same quality?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would lens opening tools be on offer? Some finer/thinner (also stronger) lens spanner (interchangable) parts would be nice. I have Chinese ones but the flat head spanner bit is too large for some of the finer rings on the lens.
See below the two flat head spanner ends are just a fraction to thick...it would be nice to buy some extra bits that could possibly fit in the spanner I have .

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting indeed, and with visible potential.
I particularly like the idea of running a more exotic product line in parallel with a "normal" one. I do have some medium-format adapters in mind...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ty for your suggestions. Everything coming up from your minds is warmly welcomed by Marco's team. I had already pointed out to his brother the necessity of making high quality spanners, so any suggestion in that field is also good. Heat treating facilities are abundant in our area as well, so well treated bits of different sizes might also have a market.

Not only but my experience at opening long zooms would suggest me to create a more flexible and precise type of spanner who would operate more safely and easily on complex lenses, being able to work in difficult to access areas.

Such spanner would not be so cheap as ebay spanners but it wouldn't cost an inordinate amount of money as well, it should be a real versatile and safe pro tool assuring long years of satisfactory use.

More broadly, any suggestion for any product that may be coming out from a precision mechanic shop is welcome.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a good spanner would be a great product, gaining the reputation would be biggest problem. But a lot of people, like me, would be prepared to pay a bit more for a quality product rather than taking a chance on unknown stuff from ebay; where its tempting to equate a higher price with higher quality, but we know that's not the way it is.

For adapters - I think a useful thing for people like us would be the ability to easily add or remove shims.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
a good spanner would be a great product, gaining the reputation would be biggest problem. But a lot of people, like me, would be prepared to pay a bit more for a quality product rather than taking a chance on unknown stuff from ebay; where its tempting to equate a higher price with higher quality, but we know that's not the way it is.

For adapters - I think a useful thing for people like us would be the ability to easily add or remove shims.

ok good idea.

what about the ability of going beyond infinite, like on some old soviet optics (the mto500 I have), so that temperature variations or lens defects can be compensated when focusing at infinite? So a perfect infinite focus would ever be achieved.

This would lenghten a bit the minimum focusing distance but one could also choose between adapters so made and other not having this feature.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bghomofaber wrote:

what about the ability of going beyond infinite, like on some old soviet optics (the mto500 I have), so that temperature variations or lens defects can be compensated when focusing at infinite? So a perfect infinite focus would ever be achieved.

This would lenghten a bit the minimum focusing distance but one could also choose between adapters so made and other not having this feature.

Adapters that go beyond infinity are typically the cheap Chinese models where manufacturing tolerances are not up to scratch. Initally there where many reports of lenses not reaching infinity with some adapters, so the length they are made to seems to have been reduced slightly. I wouldn't expect a quality product to benefit from this feature.

My own experience of adapters that go beyond infinity has included a 10mm lens that only just reaches down to infinity. The adapter being ~0.5mm shorter than the difference in mount registrations. Needing 0.5mm more extension used nearly all the lenses focusing range.

If there is any variation in adapter length then its better to have them slightly short rather than slightly long, but differences of as much as 0.1mm implies lack of manufacturing capability to me. Perhaps I'm wrong but I wouldn't expect thermal expansion to be more significant in an adapter than in the original mounts camera body.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: beyond infinity Reply with quote

In my experience, all lens mounts subject to thermal expansion were designed with mounts that also went a little bit beyond infinity. Hence the adapters should conform precisely to the original mount specs. Not a micrometre more, not one less.

Since the wide-angles suffer most from lack of precision, that might be a market, long lenses can use cheaper stuff. The large public use autofocus and many manual lens aficionados may already have secured their Novoflex etc. so the market may not be that big (even if you may gain some custom by flaunting the excellence of Italian stylish design and point to the engineering heritage of Officine Galileo, Ducati and Ferrari).

p.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: beyond infinity Reply with quote

paulhofseth wrote:
In my experience, all lens mounts subject to thermal expansion were designed with mounts that also went a little bit beyond infinity. Hence the adapters should conform precisely to the original mount specs. Not a micrometre more, not one less.

Since the wide-angles suffer most from lack of precision, that might be a market, long lenses can use cheaper stuff. The large public use autofocus and many manual lens aficionados may already have secured their Novoflex etc. so the market may not be that big (even if you may gain some custom by flaunting the excellence of Italian stylish design and point to the engineering heritage of Officine Galileo, Ducati and Ferrari).

p.

I was just making a brad sweep of hypothetical features.

as a photographer I was hit by the lack of precision concerning the infinite of many soviet M39 lenses, or the pronlems the konica lenses have when being used on leica m series cameras.

So I thought that such feature would help people acquiring such lenses, when using them on digital mirrorless.

No only, I have ever wondered how precise are many average lenses again with concern to precise infinite focusing.

And in no way this would have affected the precision of the assembly, planarity ogìf the lens is my first concern.

I reason exclusevely as a photographer with precise needs and I'm asking other photographers to manifest their own ones

PS

a passport doesn't automatically puts me on equal footing with past glories ...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 17mm lens in Canon FD mount that is way out in reaching infinity, it just won't do it. I've put the lens on a Canon AE1P body and it still doesn't reach infinity. So the lens is at fault. There are a few options, I could take this expensive lens apart myself and have a go at adjusting it. Probably not the best option. I could send it to a reputable repair man, which is expensive. Or, I could use an adaptor that I could adjust with shims to use the lens on my Sony A6000. I kinda like the last option, for the simple reason I can get to use the lens and see if it's worth spending the money on to get it calibrated properly.