Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hexanon 28 3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:45 am    Post subject: Hexanon 28 3.5 Reply with quote

I've heard good things about this lens thus I was looking for a copy.
It seems there are different versions, most of them all black, some (I believe older) with a silver ring.
Which should I go for?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Hexanon 28 3.5 Reply with quote

cgustav wrote:
I've heard good things about this lens thus I was looking for a copy.
It seems there are different versions, most of them all black, some (I believe older) with a silver ring.
Which should I go for?

I like this version that serial no. start with "841XXXX".
It has a big eye which with 58mm diameter filiter.
good quality and good material.

I believe that the newer version will get more good image quality,but they look so cheap (cost down)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Hexanon 28 3.5 Reply with quote

ysyyu wrote:

I like this version that serial no. start with "841XXXX".
It has a big eye which with 58mm diameter filiter.
good quality and good material.

I believe that the newer version will get more good image quality,but they look so cheap (cost down)

[..]

Thanks for your feedback ysyyu,

that's where I'm confused, I've heard the older ones are supposed to be better, but I might be totally wrong.
The ones I spot start with 70xxxxx.
And I agree with you, I think the silver ring version looks nicer Smile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Hexanon 28 3.5 Reply with quote

cgustav wrote:

Thanks for your feedback ysyyu,
that's where I'm confused, I've heard the older ones are supposed to be better, but I might be totally wrong.
The ones I spot start with 70xxxxx.
And I agree with you, I think the silver ring version looks nicer Smile

I also have the latest konica 28/3.5 which is F22 AE version.

the latest konica 28/3.5 is compact and light weight

this is by older konica 28/3.5 @F3.5

this is by the latest konica 28/3.5 @F3.5

as you can see that the latest konica 28/3.5 better in corner image quality then older ones.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Hexanon 28 3.5 Reply with quote

ysyyu wrote:

I also have the latest konica 28/3.5 which is F22 AE version.
[...]

this is by older konica 28/3.5 @F3.5

this is by the latest konica 28/3.5 @F3.5

as you can see that the latest konica 28/3.5 better in corner image quality then older ones.

Thank you so much for the sample ysyyu, that helps a lot!

How do you like your Hexanon 28mm?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Hexanon 28 3.5 Reply with quote

cgustav wrote:

Which should I go for?

You should go for the black 7 element in 7 groups version. The versions are nicely described in this link: http://www.buhla.de/Foto/Konica/Objektive/e28_35.html

Although i never did a side-by-side comparison, i can confirm that the 7/7 version is a very good lens, here are some samples of mine: http://forum.mflenses.com/konica-hexanon-28mm-f-3-5-7-7-version-t71738,highlight,%2Bhexanon+%2B7+%2B7.html

Cheers, René!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

serial of the 7/7 element version begin with 67 (late version with supposedly better coating)
just took these shot at f8 for comparison:

sony SEL1855 @28mm

Hexanon 28mm 7/7:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Hexanon 28 3.5 Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
cgustav wrote:

Which should I go for?

You should go for the black 7 element in 7 groups version. The versions are nicely described in this link: http://www.buhla.de/Foto/Konica/Objektive/e28_35.html

Although i never did a side-by-side comparison, i can confirm that the 7/7 version is a very good lens, here are some samples of mine: http://forum.mflenses.com/konica-hexanon-28mm-f-3-5-7-7-version-t71738,highlight,%2Bhexanon+%2B7+%2B7.html

Cheers, René!

Great samples René!

So, I'll go for the black and from the page you linked it seems that all the blacks are good except for the F22 versions.
But also one silver ring version should be good:

Quote:

Hexanon AR
Splined metal focusing ring
Chrome ring
Smallest aperture 16
7 elements in 7 groups
Yellow EE mark
Round AE lock button
approx. 1967

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raxar wrote:
serial of the 7/7 element version begin with 67 (late version with supposedly better coating)
just took these shot at f8 for comparison:

sony SEL1855 @28mm

Hexanon 28mm 7/7:

Interesting comparison Raxar,

thanks for posting it!
I don't have the Sony 18-55, my lens kit was the 16-50 which I used a couple of times and that was it.
But after your comparison I think I'll do some one too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you stumble across a Hexanon 28mm with 5 rows of checkered rubber inlay, that will be the latest 7/7 model and hypothetically have the best coating for this optical design. Third image from the top - http://www.buhla.de/Foto/Konica/Objektive/e28_35.html. Not common though, and a decent hood would probably make the coating differences a moot point. Some folks here prefer the metal focusing ring on the earlier Konica's since there is no rubber to deteriorate.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've posted this elsewhere, but it will serve here too, I think:

There is much confusion about Hexanon 28/3.5 lenses. Here is a list of them all:

The 7/7 model comes in 4 versions:
High-gloss black finish with aluminum ring (1965-1967)
Satin black finish with aluminum ring (1967-1970)
Satin black finish, entirely black (1970-late 1973)
Satin black finish, entirely black, rubber covered focusing ring (early 1973-late 1978).

The smallest aperture of all 7/7 versions is f16. They are, optically speaking, the same lens. They differ only in appearance, barrel style, and coatings. The first three versions have 'EE' on the aperture ring, while the last version has 'AE' on the aperture ring (this bit of trivia for those who give meaning to this detail).

The 5/5 model comes in only one version:
Satin black finish, compact version, rubber covered focusing ring (early 1978-mid 1987). It's smallest aperture is f22 and it also has 'AE' o the aperture ring.

There is also the Hexar, often mistaken for a Hexanon. It can easily be recognized from a distance because of its relatively recessed front element and its thin focusing ring. It has a 5/5 construction, a smallest aperture of f16 and was made from early 1975 to early 1978. The Hexar also has 'AE' on the aperture ring.

All of the above are automatic aperture lenses. There is also a quite rare Hexanon 28/3.5 preset lens with a smallest aperture of f22 (15 aperture blades!) and a 58mm filter thread. It has a 7/6 construction and was made from 1965 to about 1969.

That's 7 in all. If there are any others, in 35 years of shooting with Hexanon lenses, I have never heard of one or seen one in Konica literature.

PS:
Please note that whether a Hexanon lens has EE or AR on its aperture ring has NOTHING to do with that lens' version. The letters EE or AR on that lens MAY correspond to a lens variation in the case of one particular lens, but for the great majority it DOESN'T and is just a coincidence. More here: https://sites.google.com/site/tks0en/6-technical-questions/-automatic-exposure-setting

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's some useful information!
Thank you konicamera for re-posting it here.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all of them you can't go wrong with Konica.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Like 1 Like Dog

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Thanks for your feedback Attila!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm awaiting delivery of the 28/3.5 preset, it will be interesting to see what it can do.
I've been looking for a nice wide preset, hope I'm happy with it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In film Times, I Saw some differences among 5 and 7 elements 28 mm lenses.

With the digital World, did this change?

Produced both design the same IQ?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:

I prefer the 7 in 7 design on my Sony a6000. I can see a difference in landscape shots.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNG555 wrote:
papasito wrote:

I prefer the 7 in 7 design on my Sony a6000. I can see a difference in landscape shots.

Thank you WNG555.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the film era I compared once Hexanon 28/3.5 (latest 5/5 version) with Takumar 28/3.5 M42. And I didn’t discover any significant difference.