Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help with cleaning pancolar 50 1.8 aperture blades?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Help with cleaning pancolar 50 1.8 aperture blades? Reply with quote

My pancolar 50/1.8 zebra has oily aperture blades and it is affecting the operation; I can't close it down past f4 (though sometimes if I leave it on f16 or something small and take it out after a few days it'll have closed itself down to that aperture), so I've ruled out other mechanical problems.

However, I've never opened a lens before, and am a bit apprehensive about doing so. Would anyone have a guide specifically for cleaning the aperture blades on this lens? I've found a guide to cleaning the focusing helicoid, but that is it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blades are one of the most difficult part in a lens to put back.
On digital, I wasn't closing my pancolar more than 4..

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience is not that hard with pancolar. I have cleaned succesfully 4 or five from oil on blades.

It depends on how bad the situation is but what i do generally is that i dont dissasemble the whole lens.

I just take all the glass out of the lens and the when i have direct acces to the blades i close the iris (as far as it can be closed) and use a cotton bud with isopropanol and rub the blades and immediately dry it with the other tip of the bud. I do this on both sides again and again until the blades are free from oil/grease. Make sure to open and close the diafragm so the remaings of oil are dissolved by the isopropanol, and also be sure to dry the baldes propperly. You will see how the blades start to move freely after several rubs.

I used to dissasemble the whole lens to clean the blades but like selenium said sometimes it is quite difficult to put the whole thing back togheter. So i tried succesfully this approach on several lenses not jut pancolars.

Hope it helps and is not confusing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to relub the helicoid on mine...
Does anybody have a disassembly procedure?
Thanks in advance.

Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Thanks in advance.

Jes.

If its "bumpy" i don´t dissasemble the lens, I work from the rear part, taking the mount out you will have a pretty decent acces to the helicoid which you cand clean also with a cotton bud and isopropanol (as much as you can clean from the old grease. and then re apply a bit to relube, it has worked for me several times. then you can work from the front part by unscrewing the nameplate and then

If its stiff you can try the same but if it doesn´t work pancolars are not very difficult to work with, just be careful if you ar working with electric pancolars cause in the rear part there are some delicate cables and springs. I always think about taking pictures when dissasembling my lenses but i always forget. Sorry.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inombrable wrote:
Jesito wrote:
Thanks in advance.

Jes.

If its "bumpy" i don´t dissasemble the lens, I work from the rear part, taking the mount out you will have a pretty decent acces to the helicoid which you cand clean also with a cotton bud and isopropanol (as much as you can clean from the old grease. and then re apply a bit to relube, it has worked for me several times. then you can work from the front part by unscrewing the nameplate and then

If its stiff you can try the same but if it doesn´t work pancolars are not very difficult to work with, just be careful if you ar working with electric pancolars cause in the rear part there are some delicate cables and springs. I always think about taking pictures when dissasembling my lenses but i always forget. Sorry.

THanks for the clues!
No, is not an electric.
I was afraid of disassembling it, it's a little stiff and jumpy but it works really fine from the optical point of view. Is the Exakta mount variety.
If I decide to open it, I'll post some pictures Smile

Again thanks!.
Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've cleaned a couple of exakta version and they are almost the same, maybe easier.

I just tried to take apart mine to have some pictures for you but no light no picture, sorry.

But is easy you will have good acces just next to the aperture mechanism, and exactly opposite that (from the rear part of the lens). clean there, relube there and job done, at least i worked for mine.

Hope it helps

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inombrable wrote:
I've cleaned a couple of exakta version and they are almost the same, maybe easier.

I just tried to take apart mine to have some pictures for you but no light no picture, sorry.

But is easy you will have good acces just next to the aperture mechanism, and exactly opposite that (from the rear part of the lens). clean there, relube there and job done, at least i worked for mine.

Hope it helps

It will do, for sure!
Thanks a lot.

Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, it seems I was wrong about oily blades. I hadn't really looked very hard and assumed the shiny stuff was oil, when in fact it is just wear on the blades causing the metal to shine. The blades started working better after I took the back of the lens off, then some stuff dropped out and I chickened out and put it back together, but I can now use the aperture properly for some reason, though it sometimes still gets stuck. Does anyone have any idea why it would randomly get stuck and other times work properly if there is no oil on the blades??

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things, i cant think of.

First, it might be that the aperture mechanism, the lever kind of thing attached to a spring that opens and closes the blades, might be rusted or stuck a bit, using a tint bit of grease on it might work.

Second, i had the same problem than you with a pancolar and at the begining I thought that the blades were clean and just re lubed the lever I mentioned previously, the aperture worked intermintently and I also tried to grease a bit the blade retaining disc (very very tiny amount of grease) that didn't helped either, finally I opened it again and rubed the blades with isopropanol as i previously said in my other post, it happened that in fact they had some oil on them (not much) but after the cleaning, everything worked perfect.

BTW What kind of stuff came out of the lens that scared you ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inombrable wrote:
Two things, i cant think of.

First, it might be that the aperture mechanism, the lever kind of thing attached to a spring that opens and closes the blades, might be rusted or stuck a bit, using a tint bit of grease on it might work.

Second, i had the same problem than you with a pancolar and at the begining I thought that the blades were clean and just re lubed the lever I mentioned previously, the aperture worked intermintently and I also tried to grease a bit the blade retaining disc (very very tiny amount of grease) that didn't helped either, finally I opened it again and rubed the blades with isopropanol as i previously said in my other post, it happened that in fact they had some oil on them (not much) but after the cleaning, everything worked perfect.

BTW What kind of stuff came out of the lens that scared you ?

I'll give that a go when I have some spare time to fiddle around with it, thanks Smile

Well the aperture pin fell out first, which scared me a bit then I figured out where it went, and then I noticed a ball bearing rolling around and had no idea where it came from, and at that point I decided to just put everything back together in case other small things like that decided to magically appear. I think the bearing is the one that sits in the rear part of the lens which you take off first, but I haven't bothered to unscrew the lens again to check and put it back properly, so its still rattling around in there somewhere...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That ball might be from the auto/manual switch or the aperture ring so be carfull not to loose it.