Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help with Bellows modification
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject: Help with Bellows modification Reply with quote

I'm in the middle of modifying an M39/Exakta camera bellows to M39/Sony E so I can reduce the M39 flange register of the bellows, so I can get infinity with a 50mm and perhaps shorter enlarger lens, I can always add tubes for more magnification.
The bellows has been shaved smooth, I'm planning to use this adapter for the mount.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-Slim-M42-NEX-Mount-Adapter-M42-Lens-Sony-E-mount-NEX-7-NEX-5-NEX-3-/261745160438

I'm just not sure if it will work on the newer Sony bodies, but I'll cross that road If I upgrade to one.

Anyways, what I need is a male M39 tube ~10mm long with a thin flange(~1mm) on the end to attach it to the bellows, something like below, but longer, if you know where I can find one, please let me know.

The idea is to permit me to swap mounts in the future if I jump to a Nikon or Canon FF mirrorless.
For example, I could use an M39-Leica M adapter.

I may ask hinnerker to make the tube if I can't find one.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a copy of the Slim M42-NEX Mount. It fits my A7R II. However, I think it is not durable enough if you want to attach it to a bellow.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't look much different from my M42-EF adapters, and they are strong enough, it is Aluminum.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The adapter is ~1mm only, unlike the M42-EF adapter which is ~1.5mm. I prefer a brass one but i might be too picky.

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
The adapter is ~1mm only, unlike the M42-EF adapter which is ~1.5mm. I prefer a brass one but i might be too picky.

Click here to see on Ebay

Thanks for the link, I may use this.
I'm not attaching it by screws, I'm using an M39 tube to pull the adapter to the bellows, so all it needs to do is sit flat for the camera mount to press against, I could also use super glue to attach it to the bellows flat if I need it to be more solid.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I've got an M39 t-mount kicking around. If you have a lthe or access to a lathe to turn it down...?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never found anyone making threaded tube like that (shame it could be useful especially if M42 outside & m39 inside.)
There are a few suppliers like SRB or RAFcamera who will custom make fittings - but I suspect that would not be cheap.

You could just glue the mount onto your bellows. Epoxy or hot melt glue works well for this Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAF quoted me $25

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update:
Thanks to RAF Camera for making the part, it works perfectly.
The parts: The Bellows, Modified from Exakta, with a LTM lens mount from a donor bellows, the RAF part in black, and a LTM to M mount adapter, I have ordered the thin E mount adapter that was posted by calvin83, just waiting for it.

Here she is all put together:

And my first test shot with my 7.5cm Kominar enlarger lens.

The pictures from RAF prior to payment:

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for showing the adapter and the bellows. This will make a sturdy connection between bellows and camera. You may risk some vignetting because of the relatively narrow inner diameter of the adapter - is that something like an M37 thread on the inside?

I think I would have gone for the quick and dirty approach and screwed a brass Yeenon or Jinfinance M42 to Nex adapter directly onto the bellows rear standard..

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M39 mount should be large enough for slow lenses. With fast lenses, install a Nex adapter directly on the rear should be better to avoid vignetting.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
The M39 mount should be large enough for slow lenses. With fast lenses, install a Nex adapter directly on the rear should be better to avoid vignetting.

Indeed. I use a Nikkor-O 55mm f/1.2 sometimes, so vignetting occurs with a lot of M39 and M42 tubes and bellows..

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar setup with a previous bellows, only the connection piece was too short, and I never had a problem, I'll be testing with my Emount adapter and a collection of lenses I intend to use, I don't even have an adapter for my bayonet lenses, so it's not likely going to be an issue with the lenses I'm interested in using, my fastest LTM lens is my Canon S 50/1.2 it will be tested.
I'm not sure what the inner thread ended up being, it wasn't intended for any use other than cutting reflections.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My modified Novoflex bellows with slide attachment and Canon S 50/1.8 LTM lens on my NEX-7.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Looks great! Can it take pictures too? Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look very nice to me! Congrats

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beauty of the bellow is in it light weight, caring a small enlarger lenses. You can hold a few in your pockets, from 100mm to 200+mm without breaking your shoulder.
I'm using bellow on my A7R2 for the last three month and love it. The Minolta 35-70 macro is covering the rest of diapason.
The bellow itself is available on e-bay for about $20, mine is old Nikon F, little bit better build, but basically the same.
And of cause, you have to mount the adapters on enlarger's lenses by yourself, not difficult, but need some tools and skills, sometimes a Crazy Glue is enough. Wink

Last edited by Paulius on Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is native M39, so enlarger lenses are no problem, this bellows is relatively compact(when the slide copy is removed) and it has a built in macro rail, which is used to move the slide holder in the above configuration, so it's perfect for my uses.