Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help on 2 lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Help on 2 lenses Reply with quote

I have the opportunity to buy a CZJ 50mm f2 Biotar with slight fungus on edge of front lens which will probably need CLA so he is prepared to sell for $50 Can.
Also a Schneider Kreuznach 35mm f4 Radiogon in mint condition for $150 Can.
He is a lifelong collector with vast #'s of Cameras ,Lenses and movie lenses and cameras
Looking on Ebay prices seem fair but would appreciate any info. from members who have or used either of these Lenses.Thank you in anticipation..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean 58mm f/2.0 Biotar kryss?

Versions -

http://vintage-camera-lenses.com/carl-zeiss-jena-biotar-258/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair price for the Biotar. Not sure about Radiogons. What do they fit?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On that Biotar, examine the lens very carefully for micro-fine scratches to the exterior of the front element.

Those Biotars have really soft glass and they can scratch so easily even when prudent care is exercised.

That said, my experience is with the 58mm. I actually have no experience with a 50mm Biotar.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK found em They seem to pre-date the Curt* series lenses. I see examples in Exakta and Braun on e-bay. Ask me prices are several hundred, but no sales in "sold listings" for valuation purposes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist..Sorry, yes 58mm f2.both are Exacta mount.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Help on 2 lenses Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
I have the opportunity to buy a CZJ 50mm f2 Biotar with slight fungus on edge of front lens which will probably need CLA so he is prepared to sell for $50 Can.
Also a Schneider Kreuznach 35mm f4 Radiogon in mint condition for $150 Can.
He is a lifelong collector with vast #'s of Cameras ,Lenses and movie lenses and cameras
Looking on Ebay prices seem fair but would appreciate any info. from members who have or used either of these Lenses.Thank you in anticipation..

I know only the Biotar 5.8cm 1:2, in several M42 versions. I have not compared them in detail, but there was clearly some variance between the samples. Maybe manufacturing tolerances, maybe a re-design. That said, the Biotar is quite different from 50mm f1.4 or f2 lenses from the 1965-1985 period. Wide open, its borders and corners are quite soft, but in a pleasant way. Stopped down to f11, the Biotar color correction was better than that of all later f1.4 or f1.7 normal lenses i own. The same is also true for the Biotar 7.5cm 1:1.5.

I have shot rock concert photos in parallel with both the Biotar 2/5.8cm and the Minolta AF 1.4/50mm as well as the (early) Sigma AF 1.4/50mm. The Biotar images were quite pleasant; they had much more colors due to producing a "glowing", colorful halo around the light sources and the persons.

Stephan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
Sciolist..Sorry, yes 58mm f2.both are Exacta mount.

Mine is the semi-automatic preset version. It's my favourite lens from a boxful of about 20 or so. Other owners will be able to evaluate it better than me. For me, I simply like the look it produces which is wholly subjective, although it's pretty much agreed by every owner I've read that it gives a very pleasant bokeh. And to be honest, in silver, it's just a nice thing to have.

$50 Canadian and in need of a clean. That's neither a bargain or a rip off in my opinion.

If you'd prefer m42 mount, they come up regularly enough to wait. In the UK for around £30 and upwards depending on condition.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks my friend Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
micro-fine scratches to the exterior of the front element.

The only thing it really affects is resale value.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Help on 2 lenses Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
CZJ 50mm f2 Biotar with slight fungus on edge of front lens which will probably need CLA so he is prepared to sell for $50 Can.

It's a fair price for the Biotar as long as you are doing CLA yourself. That 35? You can do much, much better for the money IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to all you kind Gentlemen,the best investment I ever made to get a return of, not only,valuable info,some fun and the ability to talk to fellow members all over spaceship Earth and a few who I always appreciate there critique,humour and friendship.I have decided not to buy I have 200+ already and don't understand why the Radiogon is so high priced on Ebay.Regards

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
I have decided not to buy I have 200+ already and don't understand why the Radiogon is so high priced on Ebay.

Very wise decision. Wink