Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help choosing a Zeiss M42 lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Help choosing a Zeiss M42 lens Reply with quote

Hi guys, I just switched from Canon to Pentax (K10D), and I'm looking forward to using some of my Super Takumar lenses on the new camera. But I thought it'd be fun to try a Zeiss lens, as it's a name synonymous with great quality optics. Can anyone recommend a relatively cheap/available Zeiss M42 lens that I can use on my K10D? I'm looking for around $100 or less. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50mm
Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 135mm
Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35mm f2.8
Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 58mm

They are all going less than 100 USD or around.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably recommend the Pancolar 1.8/50mm zebra version. There are tons of posts concerning this one.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Welcome!

Thanks for the quick response kind sirs! I'll definitely check those out. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a seasoned photographer by any means, but I would suggest that your own Asahi Super Takumar lenses are still of fine quality. Such lenses still command higher prices as compared to lesser-known lenses, and they are well-known to be high quality performers.

But if I could afford Carl Zeiss lenses, I'd certainly be buying them. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys! Just to be absolutely sure, the "Mount Adapter B (35mm Screwmount to Bayonet)" from Pentax is all I need to mount the Zeiss lenses, right? As long as it's M42, it should be no different from the Super Taks?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

streetwaves wrote:
Thanks for the help guys! Just to be absolutely sure, the "Mount Adapter B (35mm Screwmount to Bayonet)" from Pentax is all I need to mount the Zeiss lenses, right? As long as it's M42, it should be no different from the Super Taks?

If you mean 42mm screwmount then you're right. You can mount any M42 lens on ths adapter, but you'll only be able to close the aperture down if the lens is either a preset aperture, or it is an Automatic lens with an Auto-Manual switch like the Taks. All the Zeiss lenses mentioned above have one or the other, so you'll be OK with these.

There are a few automatic M42 lenses without an A-M switch (Tamron Adaptalls, Meyer Domiplan, Helios 44M-4 for example) that you won't be able to stop down. You can use these with the M42 Canon adapter though, bet you wish you hadn't changed! Wink

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, this is the adapter I'm referring to:
http://www.pentaxwebstore.com/detail/PTX+30120

Under features it says:

* PENTAX K-Bayonet (external) Mount / PENTAX 42mm (universal) Screw-thread (internal) mount
* Permits use of PENTAX “S” screwmount lenses on PENTAX K-Bayonet camera bodies.
* Manual lens operation only
* Aperture-Priority maintained

Is this the proper M42 adapter, and they just gave it a strange name (35mm) on the site?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that will be fine for you. The 35mm must be a typo.

The original Pentax B adapter is more expensve than you can find from Chinese & HK sellers, but the locking tab is much more secure in my experience. I had one of each and I very nearly dropped my Jupiter-9 using the cheap one, because the focus ring is a little stiff, so I trashed it.

You'll also see adapters with a flange being offered by cheap sellers. It locks on the camera catch, but you won't be able to focus on infinity. They don't mention this very often!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response! Must've been a typo or something. Should be here soon, as well as a few more lenses. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Welcome!

You can find the 2.4/35 for under $100 as well.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an adapter from here Click here to see on Ebay Haven't received it yet, but it was only 8 € with shipping!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riku wrote:
I bought an adapter from here Click here to see on Ebay Haven't received it yet, but it was only 8 € with shipping!

Poor quality! nothing to do with the original adapters.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I bought my aus Jena Sonnar 135mm/3.5 zebra-version for $10 in great condition and love it Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

streetwaves: Each CZJ M42 lens can be found under $100, if you exclude collectibilities (75-85 lenses and pre-war), ultra-wide (20-25mm flektogons) and longer tele-lenses (180mm and more). You need only a bit of luck and a lot of patience Wink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of Czj's (A dozen) and a couple of pentax' (Two dozens...) , Takumars in M42, K , KA ,F lenses. Mechanically speaking , Czj's are very under Takumar's ... I opened my Flek 35 3 times in 28 years , purchased it brand new in 1980 (Sticky diaph , dust , loosed element !) Followed by the czj S 135 (sticky diaph) same condition (brand new in 1978) I didn't took apart any of my pentax lenses or old Takumar lenses.... So I prefer at least Pentax lenses ....