Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hello and thanks
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Hello and thanks Reply with quote

Hi

I've been a long time reader but only just signed up so I'd just like to say thanks for all the info I've gained from reading all the users posts.

I've recently aquired a job lot of manual lenses and to be honest there are way more than I could ever use so I thought I would ask for advice on which to keep and which to sell on.

All are in good working order and I've taken a few comparison shots, but to my untrained eye I can't see a great deal of difference on the prints.

Here goes...

Tamron 28mm f/2.5 (x2 so one has to go)
Vivitar 28mm f/2.5
Super Travenar 28mm f/2.8
Carenar 28mm f/2.8
Tokina Special 28mm f/2.8
Helios 28mm f/2.8
Canon FD 28mm f/2.8

Paragon 35mm f/3.5
Helios 35mm f/2.8
Prakticar Auto 35mm f/2.8 (made in Japan by Sigma I believe)

Domiplan 50mm f/2.8

Jupiter 37A 135mm f/3.5
Jupiter 11A 135mm f/4 (x4, so obviously at least 3 need to go)
Exaktar 135mm f/2.8
Rolleinar 135mm f/2.8

All are M42 apart from the Rolleinar and the Canon FD. I have an EOS adapter for the Rolleinar but not the FD.

There is also a Tamron Adaptall 2x Tele–Converter for Canon FD which is no use to me.

I've decided to keep a Tamron SP 90mm f/2.5, a Mir 1 37mm f/2.8, a Pentacon 50mm f/1.8 and a Helios 58mm f/2

Many thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can use tamron teleconverter with tamron 90mm lens, just take off Canon fd mount that is on the teleconverter and put mount that is on the 90mm lens. teleconverter goes between the tamron lens and adaptall mount of your choosing

as for lenses you've listed keep following:
tamron, vivitar and tokina 28mm lenses and both type of jupiters

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

Others will give you sage advice.

I recommend keeping the Domiplan. These lenses seem to be very variable quality and get an extremely bad press. If yours is a good example then it makes a cheap and cheerful 50 that can be used as is and also reversed for macro work. If it's a bad eample it can still be used purely as a challenge to get the best photo possible from it Smile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome !

I agree with wolverinex about the Tamron teleconverter and the rest : tamron 28mm and jupiters.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Super Travenar 28 2.8 and it's a very mediocre lens compared to my Takumar 28, which I would expect, and even my Soligor 30mm is way ahead of the Travenar.
Which is a shame as it's a decently made lens.

I've got a Paragon 135mm, which I like and use a lot. It's sharp and colourful. If the one you have is the same manufacturer then it might be a decent lens, it's probably worth checking out carefully.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
Welcome!

Others will give you sage advice.

I recommend keeping the Domiplan. These lenses seem to be very variable quality and get an extremely bad press. If yours is a good example then it makes a cheap and cheerful 50 that can be used as is and also reversed for macro work. If it's a bad eample it can still be used purely as a challenge to get the best photo possible from it Smile

+1 ... A good sample of the Domiplan may give surprising results on a bellows ...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another vote for the Vivitar 28mm and both Jupiters 135

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice so far

Just checked the Tamron Tele-Converter and it's actually Canon FD mount rather than Adaptall, so again no use to me.

I also found a Hanimex 28mm f/2.8 Wide Auto at the bottom of the box! Had a quick search on the web and it looks like it's a re-badged Sun - I'm guessing not as good as the other options.