Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 44m-7 MC KMZ. Is this fake?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Helios 44m-7 MC KMZ. Is this fake? Reply with quote

I want to buy a Helios 44m-7 with MC. I searched online and found some saying that KMZ version comes with 8-blade and A/M swtich.
I found this seller on ebay. It had a lot of buyer and postive feedback. The seller is also highly rated. But still, I'm wondering if it's fake? If it is, how do you tell?

Thanks in advance!

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/322383288243

Last edited by V_anaconda on Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

As far as I know it should have 6 aperture blades and no A/M switch. It would help if we could see the serial number. But it might be intentional that we can't if these are all the pictures.
Also, shouldn't the letters on the lens be written in Cyrillic if that is the original box?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
Hello!

As far as I know it should have 6 aperture blades and no A/M switch. It would help if we could see the serial number. But it might be intentional that we can't if these are all the pictures.
Also, shouldn't the letters on the lens be written in Cyrillic if that is the original box?

Hello! Thanks for the reply. These are all the pic listed. I tried send a message to the seller asking for a pic of the serial number. Still waiting for the reply

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a fake. This 58 mm lens is a Helios 44M 2/58. See this link: https://soperfectimages.co.uk/lenses/35m/m42/helios-44m-2-58-2928/ Someone might have changed the front plate. Sorry for this news.

Last edited by dnf_spedition on Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a fake, like most sold on ebay looking new and sold with a box.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retro Foto House on YouTube made a video recently about how to avoid fake Helios-44M-7s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXRgjGlAfko

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the reply.

I found another one. This one look like a real one?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V_anaconda wrote:

I found another one. This one look like a real one?]

Nothing looks wrong with this picture, but it's not enough. More photos needed.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the serial starts with a 93, 94 or 95 it is genuine.
Buy from a private seller or one attached to a Zenit 122.
Too many fakes on ebay.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
V_anaconda wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

V_anaconda wrote:
blotafton wrote:
V_anaconda wrote:

I had a copy looked exactly the same.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
V_anaconda wrote:
blotafton wrote:
V_anaconda wrote:

I had a copy looked exactly the same.

awesome. thx

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a real one. High serial number and no A/M switch.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to say actually. Take a look at the fonts on the front ring. According to the instruction in this YouTube video, fonts look really OK and genuine on your sample. Especially, see the number 1. It's should be very slim on the original where on the fake versions it's not. There is also more space between two dots and 2 than between two dots and 1 on the genuine version too, in other words number 1 should have two dots very close to it.

https://youtu.be/xXRgjGlAfko

The only issue I have is that two holes are missing in the front ring which I can see in the photos of genuine 44m-7. Is this normal for original or not?

Probably those who are faking these lenses are watching these videos and advancing their methods to make fake copies so nothing is guaranteed unfortunately. Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it s worth, there seem to be a version with an A/M switch look under the KMZ made ones, COSMOGON camera lens.....so many versions...look at the one above, Moonlight products?

https://radojuva.com/en/2015/04/gelios-44-helios/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen Helios 44m-7 MC attached to a Zenit-122 camera without two holes in the front ring Click here to see on Ebay , not sure it is genuine or not as I am not an export on Helios.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The name ring looks genuine (not cheaply printed). The serial number is hopeful (94). I would chance it. But: "Blades are always open and cant be closed."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ' ve read this thread with interest. Can someone please explain what are these fake lenses ? What are they ? Who makes them and for which purpose ? I don'understand how and why someone would fake cheap lenses. Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Helios lenses are some of the most produced lenses in the history, i.e. millions of them were made. Probably the most produced according to many. That is why they are cheap in their motherland Russia and ex-Soviet countries. So, let's say I get lens 44m-4 for 1$ in Russia, change the name plate to 44m-7 which has reputation that is the latest and best Helios lens and therefore highly sought item by photographers, and offer this lens for 100$ on Ebay, my profit is increased 100 times or if you want in percentage 9900% (nine thousand nine hundred percent). Can you name me any business where I can have profit of 9900% ? Yes, you have to think, of course. I have 44-2 and 44m-4 and they are great, amazing lenses, with great features and lot of character and I love them both.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Indigo. Thanks a lot for your explaination. Yes it makes sense, but $ 1 for a lens ? Well, even if it's $ 10... Is that latest - 7 version really worth the upgrade ? I have the 44 - 4 ... Thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have 44m-7. Maybe someone who has it will be able to reply to you.

My 44-2 (very swirly) and 44m-4 are very nice and I am happy. I don't need 44m-7.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one, I think... Is it a real one? It was made in 1993 judging by the serial number.
Actually I never searched for it. It was part of a lens bundle and I kept it because it was a good performer, with a more neutral colors compared to older versions.
In the past I had a few helios 44M-4's and one Helios 44M-6 and I found that they are quite prone to flare. This one is OK, but the older 44's and 44-2's fare a bit better in this regard because of the recessed front element (I think).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: Why would anyone go to the trouble to fake a cheap lens like the Helios?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kymarto wrote:
Question: Why would anyone go to the trouble to fake a cheap lens like the Helios?

I also have another question. How do those fake lenese behave? Are they a working lens afterall?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kymarto wrote:

maybe because they fake cheap Helios from the cheapest Helios... maybe because they fake a rarer Helios from a less rare Helios... maybe because there's nothing to do... maybe...