Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 44M-4 Loose lens barrel.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Helios 44M-4 Loose lens barrel. Reply with quote

I recently acquired ANOTHER of these lenses and it has a loose lens barrel.

I've opened it up as much as I could without unscrewing the lens barrel. I've taken the mount, aperture ring and front plate off and tightened all the visible screws up. Without taking the lens barrel out I cleaned as much of the old grease out as I could and relubed with white lithium grease.

I've put it all back together and it's no better, maybe even a little worse.

So I took it apart again and checked everything, nothing loose that I can see.

My conclusion is that it might just be the helicoid screws are quite slack. It seems that's where the play is. However, the lens is in mint condition so I don't think it can be because of wear. So my final conclusion is that these helicoid threads need packing with grease, maybe a thicker grease, as was originally used and not lithium.

Is my conclusion right?? When I first took this apart I noticed (if I'm correct) that the helicoid is made up of three sections. The focusing ring, the lens barrel and another between the two. That looks a bit too complicated for me to take apart and put back together exactly as it is now.

Any comments gratefully received.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Helios 44M-4 Loose lens barrel. Reply with quote

Braddanman wrote:
it has a loose lens barrel.

Please elaborate. Do you mean "wobbly" focusing?
If you turn focus ring 2 mm to the left, you have to turn
it 3 mm to the right to reach the same position as before?
Or?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it's fine like that.

It's whilst the lens is firmly mounted if I then hold the end of the lens (front casing and focus ring) this whole section moves quite a bit sideways (sort of rocks/pivots) or can be pulled in and out. So that where the focusing distances on the barrel are hidden behind the casing you can see them then hide them as it's pulled in and out. Maybe 2-3mm of play. Whilst I'm doing this the rear element is moving in unison with the front.

I have two 44M-4's. One doesn't move at all the other a tiny bit.

Thanks