Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 44M-4 2/58 pin problem
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Helios 44M-4 2/58 pin problem Reply with quote

Ok, my first m lens. Helios 44M-4 f2/58
If I understand correctly, the pin on the back should be prest in if you want to use an aperture ring. Because my adapter doesn't do that automatically I had to use other methods to put the little devil down. So now the pin is locked down ( I used reversible operation not to harm lens permanently) but the aperture ring still doesn't work and aperture stays totally open.

If I close blades manually (move a stick -which turns the blades, with a pen) and then rotate the ring to a smaller f-number everything works, but when aperture is at f-2 (smallest aperture) ring just stops working and blades don't want to close back to a bigger f-number.
Am I doing something wrong or a lens is not working (but it looks ok, nothing broken or something, like new)?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This abnormal behavior, study lens how pin works it must be close apertures when you push it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you hold the pin down ?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I opened rear plate and put a little plastic insulation of electrical wire on to a pin. Than I closed it. Was very careful and didn't touch anything els.

It was to easy to work Sad

Here is a link to original idea
http://forum.manualfocus.org/viewtopic.php?id=913&p=1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's how I did it except that I used a short section of plastic tube from a "cotton bud" (I think that they are also called Q-tips). If the insulation is too soft it can become compressed and it won't hold the pin down. Also - is it long enough ? In my case there's not more than 1 mm of the pin showing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for warnings, but the insulation is strong enough and it's around 3mm long so pin doesn't show out of the plate at all.
It looks like aperture ring is warn so it can't grab an aperture mechanism even if the pin is pushed in.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my first picture with a manual lens ever. All are on f/2 because of troubles I've described early in this post. Must say that it's very fun to use this lens and I'm happy with pictures that it produced. Will investigate pin problem in future, maybe will solved it.

K100d+Helios 44M-4 f/2 58. It was getting dark so had to use tripod.
Converted in Camera raw from pef to jpeg, minor corrections (levels, exposure no sharpening tools used! ) croped and resized in PS for net

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21191139@N04/2771408503/sizes/l/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21191139@N04/2772239520/sizes/l/

100% crop
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21191139@N04/2771391435/sizes/o/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21191139@N04/2771390923/sizes/l/

flower is little off but bokeh is funny (from a street light)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21191139@N04/2772281190/sizes/l/

Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Helios 44M-4 today.

I'll use it on my Canon 400D with M42 AF confirmer adaptor. Will I have any problem with the apertures ring or focusing ring?

I didn't understand very well the problem you mentioned about the pin.

"For auction here is a Helios 58mm Lens for any M42 SLR cameras. It's in excellent condition. Focus is smooth and the apperture works when the pin is pushed down. It doesn't have the manual override to control the iris. Comes with both lens caps. Low starting and grab yourself a bargain.
"

If I push the pin down I could use it as my other MF lenses? Control de apertures ring normally?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats gagy2!
I hope you can sort out the mechanical issue. This is a great lens and cheap.
Probably not worth repairing professionally just find another copy. Wink

Congrats to you also Laz. Looking forward to more of your portraits. And now with the helios.

Andy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazzaros wrote:
I got a Helios 44M-4 today.

I'll use it on my Canon 400D with M42 AF confirmer adaptor. Will I have any problem with the apertures ring or focusing ring?

I didn't understand very well the problem you mentioned about the pin.

"For auction here is a Helios 58mm Lens for any M42 SLR cameras. It's in excellent condition. Focus is smooth and the apperture works when the pin is pushed down. It doesn't have the manual override to control the iris. Comes with both lens caps. Low starting and grab yourself a bargain.
"

If I push the pin down I could use it as my other MF lenses? Control de apertures ring normally?

Hi Lazzaros, if you look at your Tak 1.8/55 and set the A-M switch on Auto, you'll see the aperture blades remain fully open whatever setting is on the aperture dial. The blades only close when the pin is pressed in. This is how an Auto lens helps with wide-open focussing. When the switch is on Manual the blades are always closed to the dial setting and the pin is disabled. The Helios 44M-4 doesn't have an A-M switch, it is like having the lens on Auto all the time, so to close the blades you have to keep the pin pressed in. Some adapters have a lip at the bottom of the thread which does this, but some don't. That's why gagy2 modified the lens.

Here's a picture showing both types of adapter. A has the lip, C doesn't, and you can see that the pin is not pressed in.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the exact same model of Helios 44, and mine was also stuck at F2 due to the lack of auto/manual switch. I only paid a few quid for it, and the screws at the back wouldn't undo, so I rammed a needle into the pin and that seemed to permanantly fix the problem Laughing

I wouldn't advise this on all lenses however! Although I've fixed a few stubborn ones this way so far Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also for those who use the 44M 58mm on a FF, you can reach inifinity focus without hitting the shutter if you mount a needle or pin that protudes slighting so that when you screw on the EOS-M42 mount it does not fully screw in against the lens. This will then give enough distance to reach infinity.