Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 44-3 M42 Bayonet Problem
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Helios 44-3 M42 Bayonet Problem Reply with quote

It seems like I received a rare copy of Helios 44-3 M42 version which is problematic. When it is screwed on the camera the focus ring is stucked and it can not be moved. When you try to move it, the lense completely moves and gets loosen.

I found a solution on another forum (hope it is not bad to post another forum link here) :

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/77158-caution-helios-44-fans-potential-buyers.html

I will try to have it fixed following the method the link suggests, any comments? I also contacted the seller about this as he did not mention about this.

It is good to let the people know about this, so if they want to purchase Helios they should be careful and check before buying from pics or asking the seller.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one! this problem was reported on here a while ago, it seems there are differences in build in some lenses that cause this problem . Luckily mine was ok, and now we have a solution too, for others- many thanks Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily I had it fixed at work today and now the lens is working fine... I can confirm that this method solves the problem...

If anyone needs help with that I can send before and after pictures, although I do not know how to post a picture at the forum Smile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I crudely ground the focus ring down on my 1983 44-3 down with a tungsten-carbide bit on my Dremel tool. I almost ruined it too, but everything turned out ok in the end.
I also own a 1993 44-3 and it's a beauty, but one thing I noticed is that the coatings on the two lenses are definitely not the same. The coating on the earlier lens is absolutely superior in my opinion. In that uncertain time after the fall of the Soviet Union materials were scarce, and quality control was not quite as stringent. The coatings suffered. My 1993 lens is still a very fine lens but I am convinced that the 1983 version has better color rendering and a little less flare. When these sometimes unscrupulous dealers send you an early 44-3 that needs adjustment instead of a later version, they are not necessarily doing a disservice!
I would love to see your before and after pictures Tharos, when you figure out how to post them.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope below link works. Mine works like charm after fixing, the picture are not so clear but I think it will give you an idea.

http://img4.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=beforevp.jpg

I am glad to hear that old versions are better Smile
I will try the lense out tomorrow if there is no rain. I will add pictures taken with this lense for sure.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tharos wrote:
Hope below link works. Mine works like charm after fixing, the picture are not so clear but I think it will give you an idea.

http://img4.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=beforevp.jpg

I am glad to hear that old versions are better Smile
I will try the lense out tomorrow if there is no rain. I will add pictures taken with this lense for sure.

I wil have to do the same to a beautiful Mamiya 135mm f2.8, how did you do the actual grinding without making a mess? From the picture it looks like a very neat job.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work in a huge, TV manufactoring company and luckily we have every kind of workers in the company. So I had it fixed in a metal fixing workshop. So I was kinda lucky.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and by the way welcome to the forum. You will like it in here, there are many talented and helpful people.

I wonder which kind of lenses have this problem ? Besides mine and yours.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tharos wrote:
Oh and by the way welcome to the forum. You will like it in here, there are many talented and helpful people.

Thanks Tharos. I've been lurking for a while but I'm assembling a small collection of lenses in M42 and PK mount, so I guess I won't stay hidden much anymore. Smile

Quote:
I wonder which kind of lenses have this problem ? Besides mine and yours.

The EBC Fujinons have the annoying ridge to transmit aperture value but that is pretty easy to file off, I already did it on a 55mm 1.8 and my 200mm f4.5 is next in line.