Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 28mm / f2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject: Helios 28mm / f2.8 Reply with quote

The postman just droped a little package in my mailbox. A Helios 28mm / f2.8, M42.
$17 on e-bay.
I don't have some test-pictures (yet), but I'm a little confused: on the barrel it's written "made in Japan".

What should I understand? It's a russian lens made in Japan, or this is a product of one of the dozens Japan companies (so there is no connection between the name marked on my lens and the famous russian product. Eh?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Helios 28mm / f2.8 Reply with quote

zipp wrote:
The postman just droped a little package in my mailbox. A Helios 28mm / f2.8, M42.
$17 on e-bay.
I don't have some test-pictures (yet), but I'm a little confused: on the barrel it's written "made in Japan".

What should I understand? It's a russian lens made in Japan, or this is a product of one of the dozens Japan companies (so there is no connection between the name marked on my lens and the famous russian product. Eh?

I curios really about test pictures, I expect average or crap result, because this lens not made by Russians. Before the communism over in Eastern Europe, Japanese makers bought brand name from Russia and East-Germany. So you can find Carl Zeiss Jena, Pentacon and Helios lenses made by Japanese factories I have no personal experience with any from them, I think all are crap. Might be I am wrong and somebody who has this kind of lenses will show to us sample pictures.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right. Helios does not automatically mean "Russian lens", unfortunately. Some were made in Japan, but I don't know about their quality.

Once I was interested in buying a 135mm Helios but the seller informed me beforehand that it was not Russian, so I did not buy - very nice person and very fair!

Still I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures. Maybe the lens is better than expected. I experienced that with lenses by Greens London, Weltblick and Hanimex. Really cheapos that nobody wanted (apart from me) and they show very nice results.

Carsten

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, guys!

This week-end I hope I will make some test pictures. Anyway, after few shots, looks like an average quality for me. Or... crap. Nothing to make me say "wow". Wink

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I picked up the same lens with a bundle, initial shots weren't too promising.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hacksawbob wrote:
Hi I picked up the same lens with a bundle, initial shots weren't too promising.

Thanks for your feedback, let we see the final result perhaps would be better.