Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Haze on front element, how to deal with this?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:45 am    Post subject: Haze on front element, how to deal with this? Reply with quote

I bought this dirt cheap Pentacon 29mm a short while ago. It has some haze or something on the front element, or what is it really? Is it possible to remove it, preferrably without disassembling the whole lens?

Here is a picture of it, you can see that all but the center of the front element is quite hazy.

It does affect the photos by adding lots of flare and glare, and quite a bit of softening. While I think that's just cool, it would be fun to at least reduce it a little bit. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haze usually occurs on the inside, so there's no way to do anything about it without disassembly.

However, I'd say the odds are less than 50% that even then, you can take care of it. Haze, I've found over the past couple years I've been CLAing my own lenses, tend to be pretty darn permanent.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

***However, I'd say the odds are less than 50% that even then, you can take care of it. Haze, I've found over the past couple years I've been CLAing my own lenses, tend to be pretty darn permanent.***

Well you might be right as the front inside element of my Tokina zoom has haze, and I took the front element out....and either the haze is sandwiched between two elements or the popular lens cleaning fluids do not work.
Anyway this haze doesn't seem to effect sharpness as I've compared it with other lenses and it puts up a good show for one of Tokina's cheaper range.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As i have experience with my Pentacon29/2,8.. it is quite appaling lens, so you don´t have to worry about making any mistake if destroyed during repairing it:)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

berraneck wrote:
As i have experience with my Pentacon29/2,8.. it is quite appaling lens, so you don´t have to worry about making any mistake if destroyed during repairing it:)

+1 very common lens good for to get practice and easy to repair.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

berraneck wrote:
As i have experience with my Pentacon29/2,8.. it is quite appaling lens

Not always - some are excellent:

http://forum.mflenses.com/pentacon-auto-29-2-8-mc-very-nice-t33165.html

Why not take some shots and see if you notice the haze Smile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completly agree with Attila, it`s a simple lens to repair, to acess the back of the front element just unscrew the ring around it, find the right tool, be careful not to scratch the lens. From the photo you`ll need a small screwdriver, i`am guessing you don`t have a spanner. Lay the lens on one side, don`t do it while the lens is in a vertical position!

best regards

tomas