Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Got this for cheap, search information
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Got this for cheap, search information Reply with quote

Hi,

I just got a Petri C.C. Auto 28mm f2.8 for real cheap in a flea market this week-end. I had no idea what I was buying, but as it's was M42 and it was in a perfect condition, I decided to give it a try. While my M42 adapter is on his way, I was trying to find any information about it. However, I was unsuccessful in my research. So, what is the reputation of Petri lens ? What should I expect from this one ?

Last edited by jfdupuis on Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:47 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering their size and position in the market, Petri surprisingly made at least some of their own glass.

They did subcontract a lot more of it - like so many of the other Japanese camera makers.

I have heard good things about Petri Orikkors, which trade-name they may have reserved for their own glass. Yours may be a subcontracted item, in which case its probably by one of the OEMs, like Tokina, Komine, Cosina, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 Petri lenses. I do not know what manufacturer made what Petri lenses but my 28mm feels more well made and gives a better feel to the pictures taken. The others are not bad but nothing special.
I cannot see your picture but mine looks like this.

This is a shot from the Gothenburg Botanical Gardens. light sharpening applied if I am not mistaken.

And a 100% crop from the center.

And finally a shot over Bangkok suburbs.

Have fun with your new lens.
/Jan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Got this for cheap, search information Reply with quote

jfdupuis wrote:
Hi,

I just got a Petri C.C. Auto 28mm f2.8 for real cheap in a flea market this week-end. I had no idea what I was buying, but as it's was M42 and it was in a perfect condition, I decided to give it a try. While my M42 adapter is on his way, I was trying to find any information about it. However, I was unsuccessful in my research. So, what is the reputation of Petri lens ? What should I expect from this one ?

Welcome to aboard!

Don't expect much if Petri made good lens as Carl Zeiss Jena or Pentax everybody know it. I expect a good average quality, usable but nothing special.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens looks familiar to me. I worked in the camera department of a discount chain from 1974 to 1977. We sold this lens branded as Hanimex. I think it had a 62mm filter ring. A couple of curious things about it. The overall styling matched the normal lens that came with the Chinon built G.A.F. slrs we sold, with a leather grain wrap on the focus ring. The focus ring revolved the Nikon - Pentax direction, counter clockwise, to close up. That was backwards to nearly all aftermarket lenses of the time except Sigma. My hunch is that it originated at Makina or Chinon.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="casualcollector"]..... The overall styling matched the normal lens that came with the Chinon built G.A.F. slrs we sold, with a leather grain wrap on the focus ring. ...My hunch is that it originated at Makina or Chinon.[/quote]

It seem that the leather grain wrap on the focus ring is a Tomioka's time in chinon.

Rino.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan, mine is exactly like yours. Your pictures make me look forward to give it a tried. As you said, the build quality seems fine and I think that is one of the reason I decided to try it.

I don't think I'm expecting a lot from this lens, but I just wish that the image quality would match at least the one of my current zoom lens in this focal lens area, i.e. Tamron 17-50. The adapter was already ordered for a CZ Jena Sonnar 135 f3.5, so let say that I have more expectation on this one Very Happy

I'm not just new to this board, I'm also new to manual lens. I just started this addictive behavior two weeks ago. It's a whole new world that just opened to me.

Finally, it seems that I have some problems with my picture in my original post. Everything look fine in the preview, but on the board, the picture doesn't show up. It seems that the picture is displayed in quotes. Any clues on what I did wrong ?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfdupuis wrote:
Any clues on what I did wrong ?

Hello jfdupuis, welcome to our friendly forum! Do you want to keep your name secret? Smile

You did nothing wrong. There is an anti-spam block on new members' pictures and you'll be fine now that Attila has released it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

Hello jfdupuis, welcome to our friendly forum! Do you want to keep your name secret? Smile

You did nothing wrong. There is an anti-spam block on new members' pictures and you'll be fine now that Attila has released it.

Ok, I see now.

Jeff