Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

GOI Helios 75mm f/1.35 prototype cine lens adapted to EOS
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: GOI Helios 75mm f/1.35 prototype cine lens adapted to EOS Reply with quote

Hello!

I finished the long-awaited adaptation of the GOI Helios 75mm 1.35 cine lens to the full frame with a stainless steel helicoid. More information about this lens and its history you can read here http://lens-club.ru/lenses/item/c_9807.html and here https://dphotoworld.net/publ/photomuseum/goi_gelios_75_mm_f_1_35/7-1-0-921

The rear focal length of the lens is 46mm, so the main task was to reduce the distance between the rear lens and the camera sensor. To do this, instead of the rear wall of the helicoid, use the EF bayonet in the form of the M42-EOS adapter, and also cut the M42 thread in it and increase the diameter of the hole so that the back of the lens would go there when focusing to infinity. The length of the helicoid came out 25cm, I thought it would be a fairly large minimum distance focusing, but it turned out to be more than enough for a close portrait portrait and is about 20cm.

Conducted the first testing of GOI Helios 75 1.35 in cloudy weather. Shooting on an open aperture. Camera - Canon 6D. Сorrection - sharpness, contrast.

GOI Helios 75mm f/1.35 is a very unusual lens and quite specific. I can not say a good drawing or a bad one, but it is definitely unique. At long range I do not understand what is happening at all - some kind of ball appears in the center, similar to a portal in another dimension). On the near and middle ones it tears and twists the background, distinctly drawing circles and ellipses with brightly drawn borders. Color rendition is good and natural. Sharpness on the open is weak - in the central part is better, but closer to the edges increases soft and other aberrations.

Next, I plan to conduct a full-scale photo shoot to find out how fit it is for portrait photography.

I will be glad to hear the opinions about these photos and the drawing of the lens.

Last edited by Lexx on Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a hallucinogenic effect. It's not very pleasing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very very unique, but I like it! Very nice adaptation done! Congrats!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

y wrote:
What a hallucinogenic effect. It's not very pleasing.

agree, I usually use an 11" laptop but now connected a 23" display, almost dropped from my seat Very Happy

cool mechanical job anyways!

Thank You Dog

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The effect comes from using a cine lens, which was designed for the 18x24mm film format an a FF camera, so also the blurry / distorted part of the picture gets visible which would normally get suppressed. Wink Wink Wink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that can be named as lens with character. Obviously swirl and like painted effect in out of focused area. Would be interested to see some portraits with that glass.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: GOI Helios 75mm f/1.35 prototype cine lens adapted to EO Reply with quote

Interesting lens! I also think it would do well with portraits.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the picture is unusual. On the other hand, it is generally good that this lens, in addition to the collector's value, can also be used for shooting given such a large aperture and age of almost 80 years.

Next time I will show portraits.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, me wanna have it!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today published an article in the photo magazine about the lens, it has additional interesting information

www.dphotoworld.net/publ/photomuseum/goi_gelios_75_mm_f_1_35/7-1-0-921

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lexx wrote:
Today published an article in the photo magazine about the lens, it has additional interesting information

www.dphotoworld.net/publ/photomuseum/goi_gelios_75_mm_f_1_35/7-1-0-921

Wonderful story Alexander, very nicely researched! Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! I tried to find all possible information about the GOI cine lens and put it in the most interesting form.

One more shot on GOI Helios 75mm f/1.35 wide open:

Noticed at infinity the field of sharpness a bit with curvature, but all the same I like how this lens works. Several portrait photos will be tomorrow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the information and congratulations on the adaptation to Canon EF-mount. The rendering looks interesting...

Lexx wrote:
Noticed at infinity the field of sharpness a bit with curvature, but all the same I like how this lens works.

Quite a bit of field curvature indeed!

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portraits on GOI Helios 75mm f/1.35 at Canon 6D, wide open

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like most of the effect that I'm seeing. The image seems to bend from the center outward, but is there a soft spot in the center or just my eyes? I'd love to play with a lens like that.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
I like most of the effect that I'm seeing. The image seems to bend from the center outward, but is there a soft spot in the center or just my eyes? I'd love to play with a lens like that.

This lens draws often differently. He also has a variable depth of field from the center to the edge of the frame (like some ultra-fast lenses 50mm 0.95-1.0) and a different "pattern" across the field. The lens I have recently and still did not have time to make good portrait photos. But it is already known that he is capable of giving very unusual images.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some new portraits on cine lens GOI Helios 75mm f/1.35 (Leningrad 1939), wide open on FF camera:

Next time I will close the diaphragm to 2.0, in this case the sharpness increases significantly and even the plane of sharpness becomes almost completely smooth without curvature.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Beautiful.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice results.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spleenone wrote:
Really nice results.

Thank! Very glad. Only the lens is quite complicated to use, you need to take into account the small curvature of the field of sharpness and accurately focus on, since in addition to the main field of sharpness, there is a second small field of sharpness in the center of the frame, but where the software effect is much less. In general, it is also very unusual.

And made another photo of the lens on the camera

And also manufacturer labeling

Also, GOI made some of the most high-aperture lenses such as the Iskra-3 7,2сm f/0.65 and a mirror-lens 20mm f/0.5, but they are unsuitable for shooting because of the very small rear focal length and range of coverage.