Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

GH2 and schneider-kreuznach 6-66 lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: GH2 and schneider-kreuznach 6-66 lens Reply with quote

Hi

i have found this lens (schneider-kreuznach 6-66 lens) and want to adapt on my GH2 , trying here to get info on somebody who did the good matching.

i new that the C mount metabones is the best to get it OK, so i wil get one, but do somebody here know how to manage with the two barrels sided to this huge lens?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: GH2 and schneider-kreuznach 6-66 lens Reply with quote

etienne wrote:
Hi

i have found this lens (schneider-kreuznach 6-66 lens) and want to adapt on my GH2 , trying here to get info on somebody who did the good matching.

i new that the C mount metabones is the best to get it OK, so i wil get one, but do somebody here know how to manage with the two barrels sided to this huge lens?

Salut Etienne,
Beaulieu Optivaron lens ? To publish a picture of the lens should be usefull Wink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Etienne!

http://www.google.hu/images?hl=hu&q=schneider-kreuznach%206-66&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1272&bih=797

Look pictures on above link. I don't see any clear images from mount. If you have already this lens in your hands please send some pictures from mount side.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: GH2 and schneider-kreuznach 6-66 lens Reply with quote

Phenix jc wrote:
etienne wrote:
Hi

Salut Etienne,
Beaulieu Optivaron lens ? To publish a picture of the lens should be usefull Wink

I think so. It should be a C-mount lens.

Optivaron: 6–66 mm f/1.8 C-mount zoom lens (1.5 m to inf.) with macro control from 0 to 1.5 meters (0 to 59 inches)

Source:
http://www.enotes.com/topic/Schneider_Kreuznach

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, this is my 1st post made only because I have a similar lens.
Its a C mount 6mm to 70mm with the zoom and aperture control motors attached.
The lens was made for super eight and even with the lens hood removed it is still large,and heavy, the two motors don't help.
It may not be worth trying to strip them off.
The lens becomes a 12 -140 on m2/3rds fast at 1.4 with very high build quality, a pity to waste IMO.
We need help from someone who has used one to find out about its image quality, adapters, and dark corners at what focal lengths.
Some pictures posted would be good.
There must be quite a few of these around so anyone PLEASE HELP>

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Movies Reply with quote

These lenses must be superb, but they are useless at the moment as they will only cover a small part of the sensor. Luckily, Panasonic GH2 will use them?

For details look up Fora that address movies and the GH2? I haven't seen any examples of these lenses being used as the ECT mode on the GH2 is so new, I would not expect to? So you can confine searches to newer posts.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very familiar with that lens. It's one of my favorites for use on Super8, and by the description of the two motors on the side it sounds like you have a Beaulieu Optivaron from a 4008zm series Super8 camera.

The motors are easy to remove. You first remove the locking button for the macro setting by sliding out the compression spring, then you loosen the four screws around the base of the lens (the same part the motor cylinders attach to). When you loosen these screws, the base and the motors slide off the rear of the lens. The remaining lens housing will fit inside a c-mount to m4/3 adapter with plenty of clearance.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekoe wrote:
I'm very familiar with that lens. It's one of my favorites for use on Super8, and by the description of the two motors on the side it sounds like you have a Beaulieu Optivaron from a 4008zm series Super8 camera.

The motors are easy to remove. You first remove the locking button for the macro setting by sliding out the compression spring, then you loosen the four screws around the base of the lens (the same part the motor cylinders attach to). When you loosen these screws, the base and the motors slide off the rear of the lens. The remaining lens housing will fit inside a c-mount to m4/3 adapter with plenty of clearance.

Many thanks for that information, you are correct I do have the 4006zm which has not been used since the late 80s.
Im hoping to put it the lens to use and are also considering the Pentax Q = 36mm to 400mm.
one of the new nikons =16mm to 189mm.,
The Micro 4/3 sits in the middle at 12mm to 140mm .
What do you think the picture quility will be like.
There are also adaptors for the Sony nex and Samsung cameras for c mount, they have different flange spacers?
I dont think the image cicle will streach to the aps c sensor somehow?
Any ideas welcome , Im from New Zealand so the net is IT.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both of those Schneider zooms, 6-66/1.8 on my 4008ZM2 and 6-70/1.4 on my 5008S-MS. I once got a Fuji ZC-1000 for its 7.5-75/1.8 to try on the 4008ZM2, sold it and kept the 6-66. There's a hint. Good lens but too long at the short end.

They're good lenses, stand out for their minimum focal length. But they're not great lenses. Within their limitations (8.5 -25.5/1.0 zoom, 18 fps, guess focus) my Canon 310XLs shoot much better footage. Its the old story. High ratio zooms give up image quality.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the last post, is the Optivaron 6-70mm recommended or not ?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello zcream. Good to see you here.

The 6-66/1.8 is sharper than the 6-70/1.4. As I'm sure you know, it would only be appropriate
for use it with your GH2 in ETC, or possibly for a Pentax Q or similarly sized sensor. I think you
might get a little vignetting at the wide end, possibly some softness in the cornerson the GH2/ETC.

I have several fast c-mount lenses in the range of 20-100mm/f1.5-1.9 that provide very good
coverage of m4/3 in 16:9. Much better coverage than the Canon's that have been reviewed.
So, no need to use ETC. You just do a slight resize in post (for the widest angles) which takes
seconds and requires no render.

I adapt them to m4/3 and collimate them properly for accurate focus and parfocal performance
so they hold sharp focus through the entire zoom range.

I know you have my email from our acquaintance elsewhere, but you can contact me through
the address on my website: www.ekoecamera.com

Also, check out the progress on the Fujinon-TV 12.5mm/f1.4 mod (the original modification of which
you helped bring to light). I have recently achieved full 4:3 m4/3 sensor coverage with the Fujinon-TV
12.5mm/f1.4 modification. The samples on the 12.5mm page on my website are for the standard
modification I offer with some vignetting. There is a sample photo I posted in this discussion with Vivek
regarding the Fujinon 12.5 which demonstrates the full coverage (with slight darkening in the corners only):
http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/4-3rds-cameras/34302-wide-angle-legacy-lenses.html

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing about the 6-70's is that (depending on what Beaulieu you get it from) many of them have a
retractable color corrective Wratten 85 gel mounted inside the lens (whereas on others it would be located in
the Super8mm camera). Even though the gel is retractable, it is replaced with a UV gel in the lightpath when
the 85 is retracted. I don't think that gel midway though the lens is going to do many favors for image quality.