Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Getting close
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject: Getting close Reply with quote

I have been using an old Nikkor 200mm F4 with a reversed Nikkor 105mm F4 bellows lens for close work in the field. I shoot this off hand and with a ring flash. Bellows lens gives a few more inches of working room. Used on D800E (lot of pixels to crop).

Large hover fly In the yard today.

Harvester ant

Honey bee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

impressive !

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!
Isn't the viewfinder very dark to focus?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scary! Surprised

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing! I first learned of this technique in one of John Shaw's book on nature photography, but I must admit that I've never tried it. After seeing your photos, I guess I should do something about that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Wow!
Isn't the viewfinder very dark to focus?

Not at all. It is plenty bright to focus. There is very little light loss with this setup. Be sure to leave the front lens wide open at F4, controll the shooting aperture with the rear lens. I have also used the reversed 105mm on my 18-300mm G lens on a Nikon D7100. With a few step down rings it works fine on the small sensor camera. Set at 300mm and focus at infinity. Almost 3:1 and about 4 inches of working room (AF, VR metering all work fine).

If there is any issue, it's depth of field or lack of it. There is very little DOF so you really have to consider the focal plane you have to work with and how it intersects your subject.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another interesting shot of a damsel fly on a frogfruit flower yesterday with the same setup.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Can you show/ tell about the setup? Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Awesome! Can you show/ tell about the setup? Very Happy

Not too complicated. I use a 200mm F4 on the body, 105mm F4 bellows lens reversed on the 200mm (regular lens or bellows both work but the bellows gives a bit more working room), Nikon K-3 ring on the 105mms mount (K-3 has 52mm filter thread and F-mount), custom female/female 52mm filter mount (2 old 52mm filters glued togather with the glass removed), Old sunpak manual ring flash.. That's it.

Here it is with a 105mm Novoflex bellows lens attached (Nikon mount).