Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

G.A.S attack - help needed.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: G.A.S attack - help needed. Reply with quote

I couldn't help it. It seemed like another force had taken over my whole being. I hovered over the 'buy' button trying to rationalise what I was doing, but it was impossible. I had to have it, even though I already have the exact same sitting in front of me.

I've been captured by aliens and they keep making me buy things I already have. This time, an Asahi Pentax SV, 50mm super takumar, dedicated exposure meter and case.

Help needed. I'm reaching out people. Is it possible to have your ebay password erased from your memory or something?

It arrives tomorrow.

*sigh*

Webster definition - G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) ...

Wink

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: G.A.S attack - help needed. Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
I couldn't help it. It seemed like another force had taken over my whole being. I hovered over the 'buy' button trying to rationalise what I was doing, but it was impossible. I had to have it, even though I already have the exact same sitting in front of me.

I've been captured by aliens and they keep making me buy things I already have. This time, an Asahi Pentax SV, 50mm super takumar, dedicated exposure meter and case.

Help needed. I'm reaching out people. Is it possible to have your ebay password erased from your memory or something?

It arrives tomorrow.

*sigh*

Webster definition - G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) ...

Wink

"I had to have it" sounds perfectly rational to me. But what do I know... Perhaps you need a G.A.S. mask? Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope it's as nice as mine when it arrives. Laugh 1

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: G.A.S attack - help needed. Reply with quote

konicamera wrote:

"I had to have it" sounds perfectly rational to me. But what do I know... Perhaps you need a G.A.S. mask? Very Happy

Smile

I must admit, this new syndrome I've developed has left me exGASperated. I've never thought of myself as a collector, and that the large box of gear I have is simply the product of someone who's had an interest in photography over a long period of time. 'Stuff' kind of accumulates I've always thought, but buying another SV is changing my mind on that.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
I hope it's as nice as mine when it arrives. Laugh 1

Like Like 1 small. It looks like the lens on yours is about centred. The one I have is more out than yours. I must admit, the photographs weren't the best and the seller didn't mention if anything actually worked, but having poked around inside mine a few times to keep it running, there's not a huge fear in acquiring one blind. Like yours, everything is there, well, apart from the flat sided triangular strap-lug rings, which I don't see made anymore. Fingers crossed.

Actually, to get those kind of lug rings, I'd probably need to buy another SV which still has them. Oh god... it's getting worse... Confused

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my monies worth out of my Pentax S3..bought it new in 1960 and still occasional use it.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's arrived Very Happy . Amagonna hug it 'n' love it 'n' ... okay, that's a bit over the top. I will give it a CLA though.

There was one big surprise I wasn't expecting. I'd always thought, courtesy of the internet, that the f/2.0 50mm, which I already have, was simply an f/1.8 with an insert which governed it down to f/2.0. So I wasn't expecting, when I compared the two, to discover that the f/1.8 also has the same insert, but the front and rear elements are greater in diameter -

I can't tell if the glass elements are actually larger, or if the elements in the f/2.0 are being governed down by the rings. But I'll find out soon enough as there is some fungus to attend to in the f/1.8. Still, not what I expected from reading on websites (not MF Lenses I have to say).

Onward...

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Dog Tuzki with lens

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote ="Sciolist"]...There was one big surprise I wasn't expecting. I'd always thought, courtesy of the internet, that the f/2.0 50mm, which I already have, was simply an f/1.8 with an insert which governed it down to f/2.0. So I wasn't expecting, when I compared the two, to discover that the f/1.8 also has the same insert, but the front and rear elements are greater in diameter -

I can't tell if the glass elements are actually larger, or if the elements in the f/2.0 are being governed down by the rings. But I'll find out soon enough as there is some fungus to attend to in the f/1.8. Still, not what I expected from reading on websites (not MF Lenses I have to say).

Onward...[/quote]

Super-TAKUMAR 1:2/55 had 2 models & each of those had 2 variations. Model 1 1st variant aperture ring turns past f/2; 2nd variant does not. (ref Van Oosten)

As expected, the f/1.8 hole looks bigger than f/2 hole. A ruler might measure identical element diameters, however.

Last edited by visualopsins on Tue May 23, 2017 8:01 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: G.A.S attack - help needed. Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
I must admit, this new syndrome I've developed has left me exGASperated. I've never thought of myself as a collector, and that the large box of gear I have is simply the product of someone who's had an interest in photography over a long period of time. 'Stuff' kind of accumulates I've always thought, but buying another SV is changing my mind on that.

Sounds similar to my case. I started with old manual lenses simply because I couldn't or wouldn't afford to buy new modern glass. I was never going to collect them, just try a few and use the ones that are not completely useless, that was my original plan. But the turning point in my "career" was when I realized I just wasn't any good at photography and probably never will be, so I decided I would become a "collector" instead. So now I have to support a growing family of old Minolta cameras and lenses plus some others. Rolling Eyes The main problem is that being a shit photographer is mostly free, but being a "collector" costs money. Sad

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: G.A.S attack - help needed. Reply with quote

miran wrote:
Sounds similar to my case. I started with old manual lenses simply because I couldn't or wouldn't afford to buy new modern glass. I was never going to collect them, just try a few and use the ones that are not completely useless, that was my original plan. But the turning point in my "career" was when I realized I just wasn't any good at photography and probably never will be, so I decided I would become a "collector" instead. So now I have to support a growing family of old Minolta cameras and lenses plus some others. Rolling Eyes The main problem is that being a shit photographer is mostly free, but being a "collector" costs money. Sad

My interest in photography was rekindled when I realised you could buy adaptors for your old lenses and fit them on to a digital back. While hunting for a digital back, I ended up with a Panasonic GF1, I realised it was pretty affordable to add to the lenses I already had. I still don't have a detachable auto focus lens to my name yet.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

Super-TAKUMAR 1:2/55 had 2 models & each of those had 2 variations. Model 1 1st variant aperture ring turns past f/2; 2nd variant does not. (ref Van Oosten)

As expected, the f/1.8 hole looks bigger than f/2 hole. A ruler might measure identical element diameters, however.

I have the version that goes past f/2.0, but I don't get a larger aperture as, when I click past '2', the blades drop behind a fixed aperture in the lens, making therefore no difference than when set to f/2.0.

I removed the fungus from the f/1.8 last night, but.. duh!, forgot to take the opportunity to compare the size of the glass elements in the two lenses. I'll have a look perhaps tonight if I get a chance.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I've bought another one! I cannot be saved *sigh*.

For someone who would 'do without' for periods in his younger days in order to buy a decent film camera, the value of them today needs a constant suspension of belief.

SV without lens. Stuck shutter curtain, but otherwise complete. £3.20 plus postage.

There's a couple of things I want to attend to with my others, but it requires delving into the mechanisms more than I would normally. So I've bought this one to strip down and familiarise myself first.

Crazy times.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since your lens seems to be a model I early version, getting another model, especially a model II, would help solve the mystery which 1:2/55mm can be made into 1:1.8/55mm by simple removal of fixed aperture mask.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins.

I had time to take the two lenses apart this morning and can confirm that there is no difference in the diameter of the glass elements between the f/1.8 and f/2.0. What makes the f/2.0 an f/2.0 and not an f/1.8, is deeper locking rings and an insert that prevents the aperture being smaller than f/2.0 at the diaphragm. Otherwise it is the same lens.

You kindly helped me a little on the variations of the 50mm super takumar, so in turn I hope this adds a little to your own knowledge.

At f/1.8 on 1.8 lens. One click past f/2.0 on 2.0 lens -

I appear to have spent a bit of time proving what websites already confirm! In my defence, critical thinking has been part of how I've earned a living, but this time it sent me off on a wild goose chase. My mistake was in initially thinking I saw an insert in the f/1.8 lens, like there is in the f/2.0 and it set me off questioning everything I'd ever read on the subject. There isn't one.