Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fungus test
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Fungus test Reply with quote

Let we make clear case about fungus.
If you have a lens with little fungus and you will not care much to risk it.
Please do following put onto your desk or book shelf without caps don't keep in dark. Let we see how it is growing it should be interesting experience how much we need to worry about that. Nice if you able to put a healthy lens parallel to same place as control.

I did store right lenses with fungus in right humidity 35-45% they didn't grow even with heavily fungus lens in neighbor. I store them in a big dry box.

In my experience same lens get fungus some others don't I have a camera for my bird with lens. Bird lick lens surface and eat on it, lens covered fully with dust and food parts. Two years left still no fungus, environment is frequently humid almost every day around 60%. Lens get normal right in room.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my Takumars stand on my desk, front cap off, day light incoming, 2 silica gel packs on the desk and I never had a fungus that developped in them, and the already present fungus didn't develop tehmselves Wink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarbonR wrote:
All my Takumars stand on my desk, front cap off, day light incoming, 2 silica gel packs on the desk and I never had a fungus that developped in them, and the already present fungus didn't develop tehmselves Wink

Cool ! Very good to know ! How about humidity ? At summer time we have many humid day around 60% or more.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Montpellier we have approximatively 300 days of sun per year Wink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarbonR wrote:
In Montpellier we have approximatively 300 days of sun per year Wink

So your experience is not too relevant. Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our area, we have more than 60% often more then 70% and regularly more then 80% r.h. outside, really!

Inside my study, the average rel. humidity is at about 50 to 60%, depending on the season. In winter it's lower because of the heating.

In my cabinet I have a humidity control device but this also often cannot achieve to push the humidtiy under 60% because it's too humid in my office.

But none of my lenses has ever developed fungus!

I have got some lenses that I got with a tiny fungus infection. These lenses I have stored in plastic boxes with silical packs. It did not grow.

Actually, I believe that an ongoing change of humidity from high to low with the possibility of condensation is much worse than a constant humidity of 60%, even though this is regarded as "too high".

If you store lenses in surrounding of 90% rel. hum. you surely will get some mould and later fungus.

Fungus spawn are everywhere! Perhaps apart from the desert. That means that we do not need to care about lens-to-lens infection too much.
Almost every lens carries fungus spawn already.

Last edited by LucisPictor on Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:32 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Fungus spawn are everywhere! Perhaps apart from the desert. That means that we do not need to care about lens-to-lens infection too much.

Important to know! So many people worry about that, without reason.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Quote:

Important to know! So many people worry about that, without reason.

Fungi and yeasts can effect humans too...I've got a rash and annular lesions on some of my lenses, but no pustules yet......Smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in a damp old cottage on farmland in the UK. Humidity is shockingly high, so I have 4 dehumidifiers running constantly. My lenses are stored in a clear plastic box with lens caps off and 2 rechargeable gel packs.

Prevention is better than cure.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that people worry way too much about fungus. In my uneducated opinion, if the lens has no pre-existing fungus, it won't develope fungus unless you store your lenses very badly (in a black plastic bag inside a damp garage or so Wink ). If in your home you have closets or drawers you barely ever open and which you never clean and they are not occupied by fungus, why would fungus appear on a lens?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I live in a damp old cottage on farmland in the UK. Humidity is shockingly high, so I have 4 dehumidifiers running constantly. My lenses are stored in a clear plastic box with lens caps off and 2 rechargeable gel packs.

Prevention is better than cure.

Exactly!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anu wrote:
I think that people worry way too much about fungus. In my uneducated opinion, if the lens has no pre-existing fungus, it won't develope fungus unless you store your lenses very badly (in a black plastic bag inside a damp garage or so Wink ). If in your home you have closets or drawers you barely ever open and which you never clean and they are not occupied by fungus, why would fungus appear on a lens?

I believe it too, people has no idea what fungus and scratches means really. They reject beautiful lenses , just because small scratch or tiny spot of fungus there, big mistake.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I believe it too, people has no idea what fungus and scratches means really. They reject beautiful lenses , just because small scratch or tiny spot of fungus there, big mistake.

leaves them for us Attila who are willing to take a chance.... Very Happy