Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fungus removal
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Fungus removal Reply with quote

The Tokina lens in this photograph has some fungus behind the front element, which I want to remove. However, I am stumped how to remove the glass. Can anyone tell me how to do this please? Whist doing the repair, I shall remove the small dent in the filter ring. At the moment the fungus is not affecting any images, but it is growing.

I have done a google search on fungus removal and came up with a tool called a "sink cap", which can be used for removing the front glass. Does anyone know where this can be purchased in the UK.

Many thanks for your help.

IMG_5794 by killwilly, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that name ring has to come off, which is usually the case, you're going to have a hard time with the dented filter threads, it will be very hard to get them straight enough to remove the ring.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Fungus removal Reply with quote

killwilly wrote:
The Tokina lens in this photograph has some fungus behind the front element, which I want to remove. However, I am stumped how to remove the glass. Can anyone tell me how to do this please? Whist doing the repair, I shall remove the small dent in the filter ring. At the moment the fungus is not affecting any images, but it is growing.

you have to unscrew the name plate that is around the front glass element first. then you'll have to unscrew the ring that holds front element to gain access to the inner part of the front glass
also take a look at this thread:
http://forum.mflenses.com/tokina-rmc-80-200mm-for-olympus-om-how-to-guid-t16273.html
it's a guide for opening other tokina lens but it might be similar

killwilly wrote:
I have done a google search on fungus removal and came up with a tool called a "sink cap", which can be used for removing the front glass. Does anyone know where this can be purchased in the UK.

in any hardware store. it's actually a rubber cap that you use in your sink to plug the drain.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use some sticky tape, like 3M, use some tube or cylinder, which size fits to that ring with letters, usually it unscrews quite easy. Personally had success with my rokkor MC 58/1.4 and managed to clean it. Though different lenses have their specific design - i couldn't take apart my minolta AF 28/2.8, actually the lensblock - it's solid, I suppose it can be dismantled, but, I didn't manage, some specialty tools needed Sad

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The one i use is distributed by Wirquin Innovation (http://www.wirquin.com/pro-gb-produits.html) which has some resellers in the UK too ...

If you browse to the link above, you will find the one i currently use at the bottom of the page, the "Universal plug" ...

But i fear you will have to fix the dent in the filter ring first ...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have now had a close look and it would appear that due to the dent and the damage to the filter thread, it's unlikely that I shall be able to remove the front element. So, I shall have a go at dismantling the lens as suggested by WolverineX. As the lens is an FD mount I might have a go at doing a conversion whilst it is stripped down. If I fail, not a lot will be lost. The lens was bought new in 1988 for use on my T90. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

killwilly wrote:
I have now had a close look and it would appear that due to the dent and the damage to the filter thread, it's unlikely that I shall be able to remove the front element.

Never say "Never" ... I have seen a friend of mine (in fact, one of my preferred local lenses dealer) fixing a dent in a filter ring using a bamboo chopstick and a small hammer ... Otherwise there are some tools (i think i have seen one on the Micro-tools site) that could do the job ...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I would suggest to try to fix that dent, and then open the front lens - most times lenses can only be apporached from one end of the lens system.

I did more or less the same with a lens recently: Have done it with some wood and a small hammer. And I used a bit WD 40 oil to get the ring going.
One can turn some small holes into the front ring, to get something to turn the ring (a spanner wrench or metal compasses) - with some force.
For work with sharper tools and higher force I reccomend the use of thicker lether gloves...