Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fungus in lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Fungus in lenses Reply with quote

Bleach is safe to kill fungus on the lens.
But, it affects the coating?
Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am unsure , but I think all cleaning technics effect coating especially if coating is soft. If need I use strongest chemical what I have and not care much about coating. I did see no difference before and after of cleaning. (Perhaps I am less picky or lack of knowledge)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend and technical leica, Eduardo Naselle, using saliva
I want to use something stronger. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ethanol and/or Isopropanol should kill the fungus.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blende8 wrote:

The isopropyl, should be diluted so as not to affect the coating?
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a anti fungicide cleaning agent for household use to clean lenses with fungus.

I think the cleaning and destroying of the fungus on the glass surface is not the problem. The spores somewhere in the lens could probably with bad enviroment cause a bit faster new fungus.

But the main problem for my fungus cleaning is, how I could clean the marks on the surface which could not easily be wipped away. If they are removable at all. Suppose mostly not - destroyed surface.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
I use a anti fungicide cleaning agent for household use to clean lenses with fungus.

I think the cleaning and destroying of the fungus on the glass surface is not the problem. The spores somewhere in the lens could probably with bad enviroment cause a bit faster new fungus.

But the main problem for my fungus cleaning is, how I could clean the marks on the surface which could not easily be wipped away. If they are removable at all. Suppose mostly not - destroyed surface.

+1.

Quote:
Fungus is very strong creature it can survive almost everything and grow again if their is humid, dark environment. I saw fungus in Nuclear Power Plant at dark , humid places in intensive radioactive environment. I don't know vinegar does only current clean only or give a resistance for surface for long term. Strong chemical make it's protein to liquid stage no chance to survive.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

francotirador wrote:
blende8 wrote:

The isopropyl, should be diluted so as not to affect the coating?
Thanks

No, there is no need to dilute it.

I must say that I never cleaned a fungized lens. I only know that ethanol or isopropanol can be savely used to kill fungus and to clean glass surfaces.
Problems may arise if there are cemented elements. Be careful here.
There are many different kinds of fungus and it is possible that an aggressive fungus itself has already damaged the lens coating, as ZoneV suggests.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I use cold cream (look here or here or here). Apparently, it doesn't affect the lens coating (at least, provided that the fungus didn't attack it) ...

Hope this helps

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hydrogen Peroxide bath?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goombles wrote:
Hydrogen Peroxide bath?

+ammonia very aggressive!!! use only at open windows. It is make any protein to liquid no fungus able to survive it

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
goombles wrote:
Hydrogen Peroxide bath?

+ammonia very aggressive!!!

I wouldn't use these.
I suspect that they can react with the coating and/or glass.
I would use organic solvents like ethanol.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys just avoid using ammonia in cleaning lenses .

Ammonia can remove coating even in only one application of it.

I even have a personal experience with Windex(contains ammonia) and coatings.

Around 1997 I bought my first Professional and expensive 17 inch CRT monitor a Sony 200PST. This monitor had a anti-reflective coating on the glass. Out of stupidity I tried Windex to clean it having NOT read the manual .
Exactly 15 sec after applying with a micro-fiber super soft cloth , the coating of the monitor started to peal off!!!
I had to rub off all the coating because it just looked awful Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keysersoze27 wrote:
Guys just avoid using ammonia in cleaning lenses .

Ammonia can remove coating even in only one application of it.

I even have a personal experience with Windex(contains ammonia) and coatings.

Around 1997 I bought my first Professional and expensive 17 inch CRT monitor a Sony 200PST. This monitor had a anti-reflective coating on the glass. Out of stupidity I tried Windex to clean it having NOT read the manual .
Exactly 15 sec after applying with a micro-fiber super soft cloth , the coating of the monitor started to peal off!!!
I had to rub off all the coating because it just looked awful Crying or Very sad

Perhaps Hidrogen-peroxid+ammonia is comes out as new material . I clean all my lenses with this mixture without any coating trouble. It is clean effectively dirt, fungus etc. I extensively use it ot remove fingerprint dusts from lens surface.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila ,

I did a quick search on the net using the words coating lens and ammonia and I got this:

Carl Zeiss Optical Inc Lens Spray Cleaner ammonia free, safe for multi-coated lenses ...hmmm

I also got this :

Quote:
It's also said that some early coatings don't adhere to the glass as well as modern coatings and can also be attacked by cleaning fluids containing ammonia (like Windex), so that's another factor to bear in mind when working with coated optics made before the 1960s

from bobatkins.com

And this from Zeiss.com:

Quote:
Most antireflection
coatings are composed of layers of magnesium fluoride
and should only be cleaned with agents free from ammonia
and acids.
Sometimes, household glass cleaning agents (e.g., SIDOLIN,
SPARKLE, Blue WINDEX) are recommended. However,
as they contain diluted ammonia, they should not be used
routinely.

Quote:
Never use acids or ammonia to clean objective front lenses,
which are sensitive to acid and alkaline vapors.

Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought ...

I found this:

LAMISIL anti-fungus spay that contains:

1% terinafine hydrochloride and consists of Purified Water,ethanol(23.5%w/w),propylen glycol and cetomacrogol 1000 .

This product also exists in gel form. I don't know if it affects coating but it's a very known and strong anti-fungal medicine for human skin and from the label I don't see anything acidic or bad. Hmmm

Also a known foot nail fungus treatment consists of 50%Hydrogen peroxide+50% Apple vinegar.
The Hydrogen peroxide seems safe for the coating but not the Vinegar...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ammonia is known to have negative effects on old/softer coatings, not sure about modern coatings. I think H.Peroxide is pretty safe on glass by itself.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hydrogen-peroxid + ammonia works and safe for lenses based on my experience.
Need to ask chemist for why, this is an old receipts from lens makers.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found also this:

Quote:
According to Leitz, a fungus treatment of 94% distilled water, 4% clear ammonia, and 2% hydrogen peroxide should be used. The lens element should be soaked in the mixture for an hour or more before cleaning.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keysersoze27 wrote:
... Also a known foot nail fungus treatment consists of 50%Hydrogen peroxide+50% Apple vinegar.
The Hydrogen peroxide seems safe for the coating but not the Vinegar...

Please note!: the treatment formula is 1/2 Hydrogen Peroxide (3%) and 1/2 Apple Cider Vinegar.

Hydrogen Peroxide used should be a 3% dilution, as commonly available at chemist/pharmacy. 3% hydrogen is safe to use on lenses. Stronger than 3% industrial hydrogen peroxide is a safety hazard, causes severe burns, might attack metals in coatings, those metals that can be oxidized, if any.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use distilled white vinegar. It is mild, doesn't affect the coatings and removes and kills the fungus.

Distilled water can then be used to remove the residual vinegar.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

francotirador wrote:
My friend and technical leica, Eduardo Naselle, using saliva
I want to use something stronger. Rolling Eyes

I use saliva initially, followed by a careful clean with my favourite optical cleaning fluid...works great Smile