Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

fungus avoidance technique
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: fungus avoidance technique Reply with quote

Hi all,

In my attic, I have several large plastic totes filled with a pile of lens and camera cases that came with all the kit I have picked up over the years. I keep them for the collector value, but I religously make a point NOT to use them to store my cameras and lenses in. The dark, cramped, and sometimes moist interior of your typical photo case is a sure ticket to fungus town!

However, perhaps there is a better solution than just to pack them all away - check out this creative post on the KEH camera site:

http://www.kehblog.com/2010/02/idea-repurposing-old-lens-cases.html

Cheers!

Paul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I use these cases everyday to transport my lenses in safety.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila,

I usually work out of a padded photo backpack or bag with individual compartments, but I do have some lenses and bodies which have a few "bag marks" on them from rubbing up against each other. Maybe I should go back to using the individual cases!

Paul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdccameras wrote:
Attila,

I usually work out of a padded photo backpack or bag with individual compartments, but I do have some lenses and bodies which have a few "bag marks" on them from rubbing up against each other. Maybe I should go back to using the individual cases!

Paul

I do recommend it, I use numerous cameras and lenses on one trip old cases are provide perfect protection.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my wife to knock up some very simple pouches from an old fleece jacket, it's enough to stop scuff marks in a bag, for big lenses I just chopped the sleeves off and she sewed one end up.
I don't mind using them to wipe water and mud off something - usually me ! They just get thrown in the wash after.

I store a few lenses in the original leather / plush cases, but they sit alongside my dehumidifier with the tops open. The cheap dehumidifier I bought works well, I empty about 2 pints of water a week out of it. Not bad for a £30 unit from Aldi supermarket.