Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fujinon 55mm f1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Fujinon 55mm f1.8 Reply with quote

After reading good things about Fujinon lenses here on the forum I recently acquired an early M42 Fujinon 1.8/55 with the silver coloured aperture ring. All test photos have been converted from raw, no sharpening, cropping or pp applied and converted to jpeg. The camera was a Sony Alpha 6000, ISO100, tripod mounted.

f1.8

f2.8

f4

f5.6

f8

f11

f16

Image taken at f8 after my usual pp:-

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit misfocused I think.
Left side of the tower is sharper then the front side, isn't it?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
A bit misfocused I think.
Left side of the tower is sharper then the front side, isn't it?

Embarassed You are correct! My focus point was the windows running up the centre. Confused
I'll retake the shots and replace them.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good lens Edgar.
Thanks for sharing these
OH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens is actually Planar, one of the best around 50 mm lens I have. Find the last one three days ago on flea market for $5.-.
Little bit dusty with tough focus, but after cleaning and lubricating it works like new, sharp wide open, zero color aberration, huge focus zone.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens,I dont think its very common. I would not say its rare,but its certainly hard to find. It was one of the first lenses I bought and I only used it on Film,I should try it out again with the Fuji X-E1.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ed, ah have four 1.8/55s, 2 EBC, two without and a 2.2 tae finish it off. Tae be accurate they're double gauss derivatives (like the planar and most modern 50s). Never even seen the fabled 1.4/50mm. Tae my eyes, there's no discernible difference between EBC and non EBC. Never ran an in depth test though . . The one with the silver aperture ring doesn't have the aperture tab. Fits M42 or any DSLR with adapters. Ah won't chop the aperture tab off the other three.Only use them on my Fujica ST901. Have a 135mm and a 35mm as well. Love these lenses and wouldn't part with them.They're not rare in the UK but becoming collectible. Expensive on mainland Europe though.

Here's some examples...

Non EBC (film)

Silver aperture collar ( non EBC) Sony A700

EBC (film)

EBC (film)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 great results!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Find this lens has a very smooth rendering. I have a ebc copy.

My flickr sample album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/randomdump/albums/72157632596401296

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also EBC Cool

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy is an EBC Fujinon 55/1.8 from an old Fujica ST801 (M42).
Examples from Ricoh GXR-M just converted/resized but not manipulated any further.

F1.8:

F5.6:

100% crop of 2nd picture:

I find this lens very sharp and nice particularly at F5.6 but the bokeh at F1.8 is IMHO utterly ugly (one of the worst I've ever seen).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned this lens in a recent post.
Time to re-visit it.
This is the EBC 55mm f1.8 in M42 with aperture tab removed.
Some images.
Good lens
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another EBC 55mm f/1.8 M42 here

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice image, both from OldHand and Alex! Thanks for sharing them, especially the carefully arranged images from Ukraine!

Stephan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW guys!! Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work guys!

Here is a few I've taken with the old metal barrel Fujinon on a Sony a7:
I think the lens has good sharpness, smooth bokeh and great colors.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lovely thread of shots Like 1 .

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great lens, but not one I use a lot. But I did take it for a walk along the brook the other day after the flood had subsided, and it performed wonderfully when stopped down one stop, the signature bubble bokeh wasn't obtrusive and the lens delivered some nice sharp and clear shots with the Sony A7II.
I was actually walkinng, well scrambling and wading, up the brook and I wanted to get this shot showing the fallen tree that has been there for years- but I couldn't get far enough back to use the 55mm lens so I took six shots and stitched them in Photomerge. Sometimes, when the light is changing fast or other things alter the individual images the stitch shows the difference, but this lens produced one the best stitches I've done in ages, the colour and exposure were consistent and any distortion was not apparent.
I have done some PP while stitching, but little more than adjusting contrast. The original stitch was 29 x 20 inch.

100% Crop

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best old Japanese kit lens I've used. I'm always keeping an eye out for bargains on them.

The later all-black version has somewhat better build quality than the early silver aperture version, but for some reason I prefer the earlier ones.

I've noticed some sample variation (more than likely due to decades of exposure to the real world), but the best ones I have are stellar.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Fujinon parade is really nice and gives a desire to I add a couple more shots. It's a fine lens for sure. Nevertheless for my taste it does not step out from the range made of Yashinons, Takumars, Rolleis and Minoltas, to pick some of a wider range of best planars. I should agree that its specialty is defined by its very well balanced character. Maybe this all-round balance is the reason why I haven't felt yet a real Fujinon bite.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a fine lens , some great images in the thread . Love the old citroen car pic.

I have one in an m42 mount , but it doesn't say EBC on the lens , but i am sure i read somewhere that some lenses might be EBC coated as the manufacturer didn't bother to write it on the lens when it became commonplace to coat.

I will post some pics later 😀📷

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwfcnottingham wrote:
i am sure i read somewhere that some lenses might be EBC coated as the manufacturer didn't bother to write it on the lens when it became commonplace to coat.

Fuji writes "EBC" on the lenses still to this day Very Happy (well, now it's "Super EBC")
There were two non-EBC and two EBC versions of 55/1.8 - the latest non-EBC and the first EBC ones are identical except for coating, and they even were produced at the same time for some period.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex TG wrote:
bwfcnottingham wrote:
i am sure i read somewhere that some lenses might be EBC coated as the manufacturer didn't bother to write it on the lens when it became commonplace to coat.

Fuji writes "EBC" on the lenses still to this day Very Happy (well, now it's "Super EBC")
There were two non-EBC and two EBC versions of 55/1.8 - the latest non-EBC and the first EBC ones are identical except for coating, and they even were produced at the same time for some period.

Alex thanks for that .

So mine has no coating then !

Still a cracking lens 😀

Regards

Phil

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwfcnottingham wrote:
Alex TG wrote:
bwfcnottingham wrote:

Alex thanks for that .

Still a cracking lens 😀

Regards

Phil

I've compared both EBC and non-EBC versions of the F1.6 lens and wasn't able to dedect any differences under normal shooting conditions. Maybe when the sun is within the frame the reflections may be different. I didn't try this yet.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwfcnottingham wrote:

It has, it's just single coated.
The differences are pretty minimal though and show up mostly in extreme conditions indeed.