Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fujica Macrocinecopy: a limited usage macro lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Fujica Macrocinecopy: a limited usage macro lens Reply with quote

Another half-useless find, Fujica Macrocinecopy which permitted to copy still images from 8mm and 16mm film to a 35mm photo camera. The attachment is a widespread M42, two macro rings are supplied. The lens itself has a kind of focusing helicoid and no diaphragm. I haven't noticed any effect from using helicoid. Might it have more sense in film copyng?

Took this image of the lens setup from Flickr, of how it should be used in the film era:

fujica macrocinecopy by Rick Oleson

With the thinnest 1mm M42-to-Nex adapter the lens (without extension rings) focuses at a distance of only several millimeters. But it is sharp. Here is a couple of samples:

#2 A 100% unprocessed crop from another shot of the same surface

#4 A 100% unprocessed crop from the previous

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one of these, lurking in the cupboard, in it's original box.

It "does what it says on the tin", it's much like a slide duplicator, 'cept being for 8mm and 16mm film.

The extension tubes are for switching between film sizes and zoom ratios on a full-frame camera, the helix allows for fine focus, as I remember.

The picture as shown is totally misleading, apparently showing a short length of 16mm stills film. Trying to handle 50ft or more of cine film really does require some sort of basic jig to support the spools, with the camera on a tripod or similar, and provision of an even, bright light source is a must Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, kypfer, glad to know you also have this nice "useless" device.

I think, the setup shown by a Flickr user is correct. As far as I understood, this device was intended for copying isolated stills from 8mm and 16mm film, not for entire film reproduction. There was such a genre of photos in the 1950s-80s, cinema stars taken from frames of popular films. I may imagine this duplicator was created to "starify" your home video experience and to share images of your family as stills taken from home films.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. It looks similar in concept to the Rondo 8mm copy tube in T2 M42x0.75 that I have. That one has some sort of mini condensor behind the slot for the 8mm film, which may be useful for its intended purpose but is impractical for anything else.

Can the film guide on Fujica be removed?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Hey, kypfer, glad to know you also have this nice "useless" device.

I think, the setup shown by a Flickr user is correct. As far as I understood, this device was intended for copying isolated stills from 8mm and 16mm film, not for entire film reproduction. There was such a genre of photos in the 1950s-80s, cinema stars taken from frames of popular films. I may imagine this duplicator was created to "starify" your home video experience and to share images of your family as stills taken from home films.

The device is indeed for the copying of single frames from cine film.
The setup shown by the Flickr user is totally incorrect! The film would run up and down, in the configuration shown in the original photograph.

Setup for use is like this :-

On a APS-C DSLR the extension tubes are not needed, it's not possible to copy a 16mm frame with an APS-C camera, the magnification is too great. For "completeness", there should be two of the shiny chrome-plated plates, one for each format, they are mounted shiny-side to the film, to help prevent scratches. In actual use the film would run vertically with respect to the camera, (the camera would be on it's side), but for a quick demo I didn't bother to set it all up completely Wink

Check out https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkzZuPOaEswYgW4ammA0Gi2h2GWP?e=cXfaaW for a copy of the instructions. You'll possible need to copy and paste the whole url, the forum software is breaking the link.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the point now, kypfer, you are totally right to point out the good use.

Dickb, yes, the film head is unscrewing and the lens shows up. But it does not help in any way. The focusing distance is always limited to several millimeters.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Dickb, yes, the film head is unscrewing and the lens shows up. But it does not help in any way. The focusing distance is always limited to several millimeters.

Well, everything is relative. Several mm may be enough for certain purposes. It makes lighting a subject challenging for sure.