Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Freelensing with 35KP-1.8/140mm Russian projector lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:16 am    Post subject: Freelensing with 35KP-1.8/140mm Russian projector lens Reply with quote

OK, bought this behemoth from Drack and am trying it out free-lens style before I figure out how to make a mount and diaphragm for it.
Here are some results wide open with light leakage/flare/solar radiation etc. Then some images with a cardboard diaphragm quickly cut out and inserted in the back.
It has potential and will explore its possibilities as a mount is developed.
Warning Warning - If rough and ready images offend - turn away now Shocked
OH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens has quite some potential. Freelensing lets a lot of flare in of course, but still
shows how sharp and ´rich in contrast it is.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which model do you have?

I have two of them, one is made of solid piece of aluminum, and another one can be unscrewed where the conical part starts. The 2nd one is much easier to be modded for aperture installation.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CuriousOne wrote:
Which model do you have?

I have two of them, one is made of solid piece of aluminum, and another one can be unscrewed where the conical part starts. The 2nd one is much easier to be modded for aperture installation.

I also have that solid piece model. It is sharp and has good contrast even wide-open.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of possible ways to mount this lens on something for focusing is to use M42 bellows. But lens diameter is larger than most M42 bellows can accomplish in the standard way. So, by using gender change rings, I've attached this lens in place of camera and camera at place of lens. It works, but construction in general is too heavy and bulky for practical usage.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback fellas.
It is a heavy and unwieldy beast of a lens and I will talk with my machinist friend to see if we can devise a mount and support for it.
This will never be a walkaround lens for me because of its size, so I will not bother with an adjustable iris.
I think I will simply make some black cardboard aperture inserts to fit the back barrel, for the times I want aperture control, as I did roughly on this occasion.

CuriousOne wrote:
Which model do you have?

Here is the lens.
It is HEAVY - 1.5kg !!!!
OH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Thanks for the feedback fellas.
It is a heavy and unwieldy beast of a lens and I will talk with my machinist friend to see if we can devise a mount and support for it.
This will never be a walkaround lens for me because of its size, so I will not bother with an adjustable iris.
I think I will simply make some black cardboard aperture inserts to fit the back barrel, for the times I want aperture control, as I did roughly on this occasion.

CuriousOne wrote:
Which model do you have?

Here is the lens.
It is HEAVY - 1.5kg !!!!
OH

No need for that Thomas, the work has been done already. It is a standard 62.5mm mount, you need two adapter and a chinese M65 helicoid and all is done Wink

Here Click here to see on Ebay and here Click here to see on Ebay (that same seller also has adapters from M65 directly to Sony E-mount and others instead of M42)

Or order directly from his site here: http://rafcamera.com/en/adapters/m65x1

(C) Rafcamera.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaus - you are a gem.
Thank you
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Klaus - you are a gem.
Thank you
Tom

I'll try to Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Actually I have developed that solution with him to make such available, but based on some stuff I saw in Russia some photographers had done ...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another version, which can be taken apart.

Of course, M65, adapters, helicoids, etc are nice, but I guess, total cost of system will exceed lens cost 10x times Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa ! Nice results. Hope you can mount it properly. Almost regret selling it Very Happy

Last edited by Drack on Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drack wrote:
Whoa ! Nice results. How you can mount it properly. Almost regret selling it Very Happy

Haha - that is the current challenge.
It has been free-lensed ATM - ie held in front of the camera body and moved in and out by hand for focus.
Lots of light problems that way of course.
Adapter will help - Klaus has suggested some that are commercially available and I will look into these as well as others.
OH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And some data:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
And some data:

Thank you Pancolart for the specs sheet.
My german(?) is zero but I think I see lines per mm at 80 presumably for the centre.
The mass is wrong however.
0.778kg is only about half of its weight.
It is very much heavier @ 1.5kg
Gratias
OH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It basically confirms that KO-140 is a coated Petzval element lens.
The Resolution figures have to be understood with a grain of salt,
it is not up to today standards. And it is lines per mm, not
line pairs per mm, so take 50% of that as a figure ...

Last edited by kds315* on Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
It basically confirms that KO-140 is a coated Petzval element lens.
The Resolution figures have to be understood with a grain of salt,
it is not up to today standards. And it is lines per mm, not
line pairs per mm, so take 50% of that as a figure ...

Thank you Klaus for your help.
I will have to work out a tripod mount for this lens.
It really needs it.
OH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked again and your lens is a 4 element type, not a 6 element.
Maybe shine a light in it and count the reflections. Are you really sure it
is 1.5 Kilogram weight and not 0,9??

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just love all the shots Tom.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Pancolart wrote:
And some data:

Thank you Pancolart for the specs sheet.
My german(?) is zero but I think I see lines per mm at 80 presumably for the centre.
The mass is wrong however.
0.778kg is only about half of its weight.
It is very much heavier @ 1.5kg
Gratias
OH

Could be different body variant then yours. Yours: thicker metal.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, definitely 1.5kg.
Definitely 6 reflections
Here it is next to a Helios 44-2 for comparison.
OH

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for showing it Thomas. Quite a heavy beast indeed. Maybe it is brass and not aluminum housing.

So you have a version which is unknown to me (I did some homework before I bout a few in Russia
through a friend).

6 reflections only? That would make a 3 element lens ... must be many more (I count a total of 12 on
mine; some are barely visible, I use a LED lamp and shine inside)

Last edited by kds315* on Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed yours is heavy model. Bellow is the usual model with thin metal body.

Abbazz wrote:

You're welcome, Laurence. This thread on the Russian forum is full of beautiful images. It's also very dangerous because it's full of tips about wonderful lenses and it makes you want to buy them all.

Because of this thread, I have just bought three cheap but interesting lenses on eBay.

First, a 35-KP 140/1.8:

Then a 35-KP 120/1.8:

And a KO-140M 140/1.8:

These lenses were designed for cine 35mm projectors and were made at the Belarus Optical factory in Minsk. All three seem to be of Petzval formula, a very interesting optical formula designed in the 19th century and mainly used for portrait. Here is the specs sheet for the KO-120M:

You can see it resolves 90 lp/mm in the center of the frame and 45 lp/mm at 12mm from the center. Of course, these figures are measured wide open, because projector lenses have no diaphragm! The lens coverage is 18.2mm x 23.2mm (the size of a 35mm cinema frame), which is enough for a crop format camera like my Pentax K-10d.

The lenses should arrive here in Brunei in about two weeks, I cannot stand the wait...

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Thanks for showing it Thomas. Quite a heavy beast indeed. Maybe it is brass and not aluminum housing.

So you have a version which is unknown to me (I did some homework before I bout a few in Russia
through a friend).

6 reflections only? That would make a 3 element lens ... must be many more (I count a total of 12 on

Ah yes, two sets of six reflections but offset and one set would be interspaced with the other - I guess front and back of the glass elements shown as separate sets - so 12 reflections - my mistake
OH

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
kds315* wrote:

through a friend).

Ah yes, two sets of six reflections but offset and one set would be interspaced with the other - I guess front and back of the glass elements shown as separate sets - so 12 reflections - my mistake
OH

Yes, exactly. Two sets of reflections a bit spaced sideways from another.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is exactly 700 grams (the one that can be dismantled)